Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Aquaman soundtrack"/ Rupert Gregson-Williams

"Aquaman" is a visually astounding superhero fantasy, but its also an excellent love story and consideration of some major family friction. It competes quite well with the Marvel stable. I was especially impressed by Rupert's score, which deserves added scrutiny. While its certainly possessed of orchestral muscle, there is also a nice dollop of synthesizer in various spots. When one huge warship/armored warbeast comes into view, there is a clear, sweeping bass sound with a touch of portamento going BWAAAAAH. There is a skittering, bellish sequence/loop under certain critters. Its one of the best meshings of orch and synth since Jerry Goldsmith, which is saying a lot. It took a couple of viewings to absorb the full scale of it.

"Trench Engaged" by Joseph Bishara is the one compositional veer-away, with a properly scary background to a horde of scaly Black-Lagoon types chasing the heroes in a storm at sea. Its perfectly shaped for the scene, nicely upping your heart rate.

I also can't sufficiently compliment Skylar Grey's "Everything I Need" over the end credits. Her voice is amazing and if the song wasn't written specifically for the story, then its real kismit that it fits hand-in-glove. Its a beautiful standout well worth several hearings. If you enjoy such movies, you'll need a cigarette and a moist towelette when its over. :thu: Highly recommended.

"Everything I Need" lyrics

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic