Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ASUS - YAY! Microsoft - Not So Much

My mother board fried when I was away traveling. Not sure if weather/lightening had a part in it or just random part failure but I was getting an intermittent USB Over-current message from Win 10. This quickly escalated to not being able to boot up and seeing the same message in the BIOS screen. Did a bunch of isolation test and yup, it was the motherboard; not one of the front or rear panel connectors which I've seen give the same message before when damaged (different pc).

I was all set after a couple days of researching to buy a replacement when something made me think to check the warranty. This PC is 15 months old and figured the MB had a 90 day warranty since they're subject to (cough) questionable hands. Turns out ASUS has a 5 year warranty provided there is no physical damage. That's a pretty good no extra cost deal in my book :cool:. Turn around from the time I sent it out to receiving the replacement - 9 days. Again, not bad ASUS.

Got the new one installed - all appeared to be working. It was maybe a day later I realized there was a very faintly lit message on the screen that said "Need to Activate Win 10". It was late when I noticed it so figured I'd do it the next day or so.

The next morning I noticed the computer received some automatic updates, probably security stuff. Turns out that when I got around to activating later that day I discovered Microsoft updated the OS to Win 10 Pro; it was Home edition :mad: . Now the legitimate activation code that I have doesn't match up. But worse, after much Googling I found out you have to do a clean install, i.e. wipe the C disk drive :hitt: . Had I activated the previous day I think I would have been up and running where I was before the MB failure. But the real kicker is the tool Microsoft provides for re-installing the OS doesn't give you the option of which edition to reinstall; if you currently have Win 10 Pro that's all you get to reinstall. Gee, ya think MS knows about this?

Fortunately I was able to dig up an ISO file for WIN 10 Home after more research and hours spent. So no Win 10 Pro upgrade for me, but nice try MS :bang: .

If you need to activate Windows, dont wait.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic