Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Beat me 'till I'm blue

Hey guys,

recently I watched the movie Colombiana and heard this great track in it. (Actually in the movie it was a remixed version).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWqc4ZZusPo

I'm surprised I hadn't heard of this tune (or even heard the name Alan Hawkshaw) before, I might just be too young. I just don't see why it hasn't become a Hammond classic a la green onions. (Or maybe it is and I'm just late to the party...) Such a groove and what a Hammond tone! Any idea how he gets it? Stock C3/122 with Leslie at 10??

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After listening to the track once more, I think I've figured something about the drawbar registration; the organ part goes higher than you normally could with a setting like 888xxxxxx, which would indicate that he used the 8' drawbar as the lowest drawbar, and so the percussion sounds an octave lower than what we're used to...

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

Groovy tune! Thanks for sharing!

Perhaps one reason it never achieved as much fame as Green Onions was that it was released (2009?) when this type of music was not as main-stream.

I chuckled when I read some of the search tags on a link I found for this song:

"organ sex, hammond a go go, funk, instrumental, jazzbeat a-go-go"

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Perhaps one reason it never achieved as much fame as Green Onions was that it was released (2009?) when this type of music was not as main-stream.
Erm, that's just the YT vid. The song was released in 1967.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Hawkshaw

The Mohawks

The Mohawks were a band formed from session musicians.

The Champ (1967)

[edit]Track listing

"The Champ" - UK #58[4]

"Hip Juggler"

"Sweet Soul Music"

"Dr Jekyll and Hyde Park"

"Señor Thump"

"Landscape"

"Baby Hold On"

"Funky Broadway"

"Rocky Mountain Roundabout"

"Sound of the Witchdoctors"

"Beat Me Til I'm Blue"

"Can You Hear Me?"

Allmusic

Like many an active British session player in the 1960s and 1970s, Alan Hawkshaw, in addition to playing on many records by stars, did some recording as part of studio-only bands and for music library albums. Mo'Hawk selects 20 such tracks from 1967-1975, emphasizing ones that put his soul-rock-jazz Hammond organ to the fore. Some were credited to bands when first released -- four to the Mohawks, one to the Salon Band, and one to Rumplestiltskin. But the rest evidently come from music library albums for Keith Prowse Music (though the liner notes don't give precise details on the origination of some tracks), which were heard by few back when they were recorded, and not always even used in TV or cinema. Hawkshaw is a very good organist, but this material does betray its origins as pieces that were, after all, often hastily composed for cheap budget albums or as incidental background music to be considered for movies and television. As a consequence, it's largely generic party music from various phases of Swinging London, albeit gutsier and more soulful than much other such music that made its way into period films. And while Hawkshaw plays his parts with some aplomb, when you have this sort of material (mostly written by Hawkshaw, alas), it isn't going to give Georgie Fame sleepless nights. Various shades of easy listening, soul, funk, jazz, and pop-psychedelia make their way into the tracks, none of the songs standing out as work that transcends the background context for which they were originally crafted.

1 Señor Thump Hawkshaw 2:48

2 Beat Me 'Til I'm Blue Hawkshaw 2:38

3 Move Move Move Hawkshaw, Parker 2:51

4 Girl at the Top Hawkshaw, Parker 1:51

5 Hastle Hawkshaw 2:06

6 The Millionairess Hawkshaw 3:07

7 Beat Boutique Hawkshaw, Mansfield 1:32

8 Piccadilly Night Ride Hawkshaw, Mansfield 1:24

9 Dr Jekyll and Hyde Park Hawkshaw 1:36

10 Sweet Motion Hawkshaw 3:45

11 Blue Note Hawkshaw 4:11

12 Girl in a Sportscar Hawkshaw 1:39

13 Dave Allen at Large Hawkshaw 1:49

14 Raver Hawkshaw 2:31

15 Drive On Hawkshaw 2:57

16 Action Man Hawkshaw, Parker 1:10

17 Rocky Mountain Roundabout Hawkshaw 2:10

18 Powerboat Hawkshaw 1:31

19 Rumplestiltskin Cattini, Flowers, Hawkshaw, Parker 3:22

20 Hawkwind and Fire Hawkshaw 3:01

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The name Allan Hawkshaw conjures up memories of sessions at Pye recording studios,London.

I was part of a six piece vocal harmony group,we had been pro for 2 years and were decent players but this time it was vocals only.

The Line up at the studio was: Alan Hawkshaw,Herbie Flowers,Clem Catinni.Big Jim Sullivan,a bunch of hooligans and very approachable plus strings brass and percussion players from the Royal Phil. who were aloof and reading newspapers.

There was a lull after we had rehearsed our parts, just for fun Guy Fletcher an up and coming songwriter,says 'watch this' and taps his baton.The 'classical lot' all grab their instruments dropping their novels and newspapers and are ready to go!

Alan and his cool rhythm section,didnt bat an eyelid! They were rocking! Those were the days! cheers,Chas.

• 7 years later...