Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Blue 3; Are you freakin kidding me?!?!?

For some reason, I decided to sit in on this beautiful day and mess around with VSTi. I own the original vb3 and acoustic samples b5. I have demos of vb3ii and blue 3.

Blue3 is just ridiculously good. Sounds better than the others by miles. The overdrive and Leslie seem so real and the tone is incredible too. Playing it side by side with the others, it smokes them! Acoustic Samples B5 sounded much better than both vb3s, I thought..I thought I had a winner but after downloading the blue3, no contest!

That being said, I don't want to bring a laptop to gigs or rehearsal. I wish this engine was in a clone (dsp, not windows based)

Amazing though. Just thought I'd call attention to it.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at a show recently where I thought the Hammond sound was great... I was able to ask the keys player what he was using, it was Blue3.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

First time I heard demos of Blue 3. Sounds great. I've got a discount on upgrading VB3 to vII for $80 and some change. Was wondering what everyone is feeling about the the latest stable of B3 VST clones myself. This one sure does sound good. Those of you who know please share your thoughts. This is the one instrument I don't have a great sim of yet. Well I do have VB3 but haven't used it since upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit so it's been awhile.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Just downloaded the demo of Blue 3. Is the Spin Leslie Simulator included in the demo or do I have to download a demo of it separately?

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Blue3 first came out and it was good like all the others I have going back to the B3000 from Creamware (Being the least authentic w/Fantastic Scanner Vibrato)

But the dev didnt rest and isolated the Leslie, then proceeded to go for that wooden cabinet sound which is what makes all of the numerous models he offers sound even better.

Overdrive through a rotor in the digital world just ruins everything, even on the HX-3 or a Vent too.

I was using MRotary and VB3 2 until the HX-3.

Spin is a great replacement for the MRotary but the newest Blue3 has a better rotary and overdrive and sounds so good Im waiting for down time to run it through my stage rigs.

Everything always sounds great on headphones and YTube.

2.1 rig blowing at my face from 20 feet away is where Ill decide.

Ill never toss the HX-3 but I decided to ditch Omnisphere and replace it with a hardware version of it called Blofeld.

So I got room for a fake B3 on my PC.

The upgrade is free too.

Coolness

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Just downloaded the demo of Blue 3. Is the Spin Leslie Simulator included in the demo or do I have to download a demo of it separately?

You have to download the demo.

It does sound good but I'm foxed as why every factory preset is just based on the Blue 3 tonewheel set. Even when you select "Keith" they haven't selected the L100 set - which I would suggest is a more authentic starting point. Same with "Lord" and presumably the Greg Rolie presets. Always Blue3! Not that it's hard to change but still.

This has got me thinking about using my Mac mini headless again -did it years ago with a white one bit it was scary but never failed to work. I could also use my iPad to screen share - not an option for me back then. Hmmm

It does sound good but I'm foxed as why every factory preset is just based on the Blue 3 tonewheel set. Even when you select "Keith" they haven't selected the L100 set - which I would suggest is a more authentic starting point. Same with "Lord" and presumably the Greg Rolie presets. Always Blue3! Not that it's hard to change but still.

This has got me thinking about using my Mac mini headless again -did it years ago with a white one bit it was scary but never failed to work. I could also use my iPad to screen share - not an option for me back then. Hmmm

How does one use a Mac mini without a monitor? I never owned a Mac.

How does one use a Mac mini without a monitor? I never owned a Mac.

It's not really a Mac thing, but if you don't have a laptop (like me) and have a Mac mini then you just set the computer to load your software like MainStage on startup and control it all from your mother keyboard (and hope!). However, there are loads of potential problems - for example what if it doesn't select the correct audio interface. I did about 10 gigs using Mainstage with this setup - it's was a while ago, 2012? I think.

This is how I did it:

1) Create an account just for live use

2) In preferences set correct audio driver and concert to load

3) Set Mac to auto login to this account when you switch on and turn off bluetooth or it will look for a mouse/keyboard

4) Set MainStage to run on startup

5) In preferences set correct audio driver and concert to load

6) Make sure you connect and power up you audio interface before switching on the Mac.

If you just want to run Blue 3 connected to your controller keyboard and nothing else this would be a simple setup.

though you can also use an iOS device as a screen for a Mac Mini

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/208311/how-to-use-an-ipad-or-ipad-pro-as-a-monitor-for-your-mac

and the VNC approach (one of a few approaches described there) should also work with a PC equivalent.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Id imagine Its because most devs excel at coding and obsess about features, UI, bug free operation, etc. they dont always have a time for great and plentiful preset creation. This would require paying someone else to do it which costs $ that a 1 man operation doesnt have until the software starts selling like hot cakes. Just an educated guess.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I'm biased because I've been working with what I perceive are studio tricks to control sampling reconstruction limitations and acoustic issues to the point that I don't really want to listen to those modernistic "pushed up" produced sounds. Nothing ever comes into proximity properly, everything is either brittle and inaccurate or lifeless or a combination of those, so the examples I've listened to on SC to me do not sound appealing much at all. Quite strange in fact on a system that's been proven neutral enough to take notice of on many sources.

It's nice to have a new organ sim, and (I do in practice) getting organ sounds organic, lively, straight and controllable is an interesting quest, but these efforts, which I can understand in terms of the attempt, aren't going to go as far as I and probably some others would want.

T.

though you can also use an iOS device as a screen for a Mac Mini

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/208311/how-to-use-an-ipad-or-ipad-pro-as-a-monitor-for-your-mac

and the VNC approach (one of a few approaches described there) should also work with a PC equivalent.

Yes VNC will could get you out of trouble, very old now but still works. I can't believe this post has sent me down this rabbit hole. But Blue 3 is very, very good. Anyway took me about an hour to set my mac mini up to run headless with Blue 3. I wonder how stable Mainstage is these days?

btw- I have both VB3 and Blue 3; both sound excellent, but IMHO VB3 does the "cleaner" sounds somewhat better, while Blue 3 nails the distorted rock organ sounds (think Deep Purple and early Tony Kaye era Yes).