Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why do all XK5 demos have real Leslie?I want to hear the sim

Any videos or comments about the xk5 Leslie Sim? Every demo is with a 122 or 3300 or something.

How does it compare with the other on board sims like the Legend, Nord, Mojo. I don't really care about comparing it to the vent

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It can't be lower-quality than the SK1/SKX I wouldn't think since it's a more expensive model.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Any videos or comments about the xk5 Leslie Sim? Every demo is with a 122 or 3300 or something.

Two seconds of searching found this:

[video:youtube]

That alone should clarify why most XK5 demos use a real Leslie. ;)

Actually I did see that, but not much else. It's not really showing what I want to see. I want to hear 888888888 all DBs out on fast, and 8880008 on fast and such.

But maybe you're, right, and there is a reason for not demo'ing the internal. I just wish there wasn't a need for a vent or real Leslie

What we need to hear is full eights registration on tremolo with,and more iimportantly,without c/v. Just simple triads played from the middle to the top of the keyboard. This would truly tell the tale. 888 doesn't tell what you really need to know. No fast riffing needed. Got to have higher harmonic drawbars pulled and sustained chords. I have yet to hear an internal sim that really stands up to an absence of c/v. A real Leslie does as does the Vent.

I'd really like to hear Jim A. put the XK 5's internal sim through its paces. If anyone can make it sound good he can.

I've talked about this before and I'll say it again.

In all of these repetitive discussions about clonewheels, leslie sims and all that only a few say anything about what speaker system they're using for organ. To me that is a prerequisite otherwise how is anybody supposed to have a reference point?

To me if someone is running his rig through a $4,000 pair of Fulcrums or that new Motion sound everybody is raving about wouldn't he have more credibility than someone who says he's using a $500 pair of Alto's? When I talk about my stage rig I always say I'm using a Spacestation and occasionally a pair of EV Elx12P's. For the rare big gig I go FOH.

If you're just listening to a YT vid at home I still ask the same question. A $50 set of computer speakers or a $3,000 pair of Genelec studio monitors? I've said many times I use a pristine pair of Altec Model 14's. If it's cans same thing, cheapies or good ones? I have a pair of nice Sennheisers.

If this forum with all these opinions is supposed to mean something then everybody needs to know this.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I've talked about this before and I'll say it again.

In all of these repetitive discussions about clonewheels, leslie sims and all that only a few say anything about what speaker system they're using for organ. To me that is a prerequisite otherwise how is anybody supposed to have a reference point?

To me if someone is running his rig through a $4,000 pair of Fulcrums or that new Motion sound everybody is raving about wouldn't he have more credibility than someone who says he's using a $500 pair of Alto's? When I talk about my stage rig I always say I'm using a Spacestation and occasionally a pair of EV Elx12P's. For the rare big gig I go FOH.

If you're just listening to a YT vid at home I still ask the same question. A $50 set of computer speakers or a $3,000 pair of Genelec studio monitors? I've said many times I use a pristine pair of Altec Model 14's. If it's cans same thing, cheapies or good ones? I have a pair of nice Sennheisers.

If this forum with all these opinions is supposed to mean something then everybody needs to know this.

Bob

I kind of disagree with this. The above is true for acoustic piano emulation. A leslie speaker is a Lo-Fi speaker and I actually find that organ/leslie simulation sounds better through my KB300 keyboard amp than it does through my EV-ELX112P. The EV speaker is much brighter and sounds better for piano but the KB300 sounds better for organ. What % of users playing out are using Fulcrum speakers? Most people on this forum are using QSC's, EV's, Alto's, Yamahas, etc. If what you're saying is the case then the majority of the users on this forum would say that organ/leslie outputs all sound sub-par.

My two cents.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I'm with Dave on this one. Also,if comparisons are made using the same amplification as a constant the results are valid. Having doctor or lawyer money doesn't increase the validity of a person's opinion on musical gear. Some of our most skilled,successful and esteemed members here play through some pretty mundane stage amplification. Those are the people I'd rather listen to both in terms of playing and opinions on equipment. Then there are others who are strictly hobbyists who can afford the biggest,best and newest,and good for them. Incidentally,my dentist is a very skilled musician and I respect his dual identity of dentist money and musician's chops.

So who here has actually played and tweaked the XK5 rotary sim and how does it sound to you?

Stereotypes of income and music ability aside, I have an XK5 and a Leslie 3300. The onboard sim is not terrible, but not great. The sim on my Nord Stage 3 is better in some ways, for example the overdrive is better on the Nord. I definitely would not buy an XK5 for the onboard Leslie sim. I would, however, buy it for the overall tone, controls, keybed, and playability. It is amazing in that regard. And, of course, it sounds great with a outboard Leslie ;)

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

What % of users playing out are using Fulcrum speakers? Most people on this forum are using QSC's, EV's, Alto's, Yamahas, etc. If what you're saying is the case then the majority of the users on this forum would say that organ/leslie outputs all sound sub-par.

Right, and this is part of my point. Gigging with all of the usual powered stage speakers in a noisy venue completely hides all of these subtle differences between clones. If listening at home then the sound system also matters when people go on and on about the tone, the keyclick, the percussion, all that stuff. When I say what speakers I'm using such as my Altecs I'm not bragging, I bought them used for $425 12 years ago, it's because I think it's important to let people know when I make a comment about how something sounds they know I'm listening through good stuff as opposed to a $300 Sony home theater system or whatever. Same for headphones. Lots of people use $10 earbuds which suck for this while others use studio quality cans. That matters too doncha think?

We're talking audio here and two difference scenarios, listening at home and playing a gig. No elitism or anything else if someone is giving their thoughts on this stuff especially software clones, they should say what they're listening to it through. If they're talking about listening to an online vid I would love to have people say something like I played this vid through my home studio system using blah, blah, then I ran it through a mixer into a pair of QSC's and it sounded quite different so then I tried a whatever, etc. That would be a review I could get into. To simply throw all these comments out without any of this audio background is useless imho.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...