Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What was the first guitar you wanted?

I remember wanting a Flying V from Gibson(Michael Schenker poster and a magazine pic of Hendrix), this was like 1982. In 1985 I got a knock off flying v from cort, and got a cort bass in the same deal(traded a 22 rifle from kmart). The guitar was cool but messed up(chopped up electronics) the bass was new and sounded great. Played the Bass for money and the guitar for fun, traded the guitar to a guy in one of the bands I was playing bass in, got a cool crate bass amp.

Now I own 3 Gibson Flying Vs and 6 other flying Vs(2 Dean, 2 Greco, an Epiphone and a cusom build in the works).

The only guitars I have wanted that I have never owned is 1972 Gibson Medallion have looked at 11 different ones and loved the look of all of them, but to me only one of them felt right and sounded right, and they lady wanted a kings ransom(I made fair offer at the time and she passed and later got less). No regrets.

Lok

• Like 1

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

I remember wanting a Flying V from Gibson (Michael Schenker poster and a magazine pic of Hendrix), this was like 1982.

Now I own 3 Gibson Flying Vs and 6 other flying Vs(2 Dean, 2 Greco, an Epiphone and a custom build in the works).

Cool. :rawk::cool: I love the look- I think that the original 1958 Gibson Flying V's are among the coolest and most beautiful looking guitars of any kind, ever- but I've just never been able to get comfortable playing a 'V. :crazy: I feel somehow cheated! :freak:

• Like 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Caevan just gotta get the right strap length and the right sitting form and they are the best, standing up your posture changes, but once again strap length is key.

I played a real 1958 Gibson flying V at Romans guitars in Vegas in the early 2000s , what great guitar. AT first i was so scared that it would break but after 15 minutes I didn't want to let it go. Alas its price was astronomical , but was delight to try thru a JCM 800 combo from the 80s.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

I played a real 1958 Gibson flying V at Romans guitars in Vegas in the early 2000s , what great guitar. AT first i was so scared that it would break but after 15 minutes I didn't want to let it go. Alas its price was astronomical , but was delight to try thru a JCM 800 combo from the 80s.

Sweet! :rawk:

Tell me that you also tried it occasionally with a "parked" wah, too!

I did use a wah, and I am sure it was parked atleast part of the time. I surely played a couple Schenker solo's .

Lok

• Like 1

When I was a kid I and got all my music from top 40 radio I was into the Beatles, Stones and CCR. In my early teens I started earning my own money for the first time so I was able to buy records for the first time. That is when I got exposed to Cream, Hendrix, Allman Brothers etc. and my fevered teenaged brain was drawn to the guitars they played. I lusted for either a Fender or a Gibson with Strat and Les Paul topping the list. I would have settled for a Telecaster or an SG. After a cheap Sears acoustic and a no name archtop I found a used early sixties Gibson Melody Maker for $100. It wasn't a Les Paul or an SG but I would afford it! Sure wish I had that guitar today!
  • Like 1

When I was a kid I and got all my music from top 40 radio I was into the Beatles, Stones and CCR. In my early teens I started earning my own money for the first time so I was able to buy records for the first time. That is when I got exposed to Cream, Hendrix, Allman Brothers etc. and my fevered teenaged brain was drawn to the guitars they played. I lusted for either a Fender or a Gibson with Strat and Les Paul topping the list. I would have settled for a Telecaster or an SG. After a cheap Sears acoustic and a no name archtop I found a used early sixties Gibson Melody Maker for $100. It wasn't a Les Paul or an SG but I would afford it! Sure wish I had that guitar today!

The first type of guitar that I yearned for was vintage blackguard-style Telecaster and Broadcaster, followed by the Les Paul "sunburst". I never did get a Tele! Yet! Though I've had a couple of Les Pauls. I wanted a tele even more than a Strat, really, though I found Strats to have some advantages.

The first type of guitar that I yearned for was vintage blackguard-style Telecaster and Broadcaster, followed by the Les Paul "sunburst". I never did get a Tele! Yet! Though I've had a couple of Les Pauls. I wanted a tele even more than a Strat, really, though I found Strats to have some advantages.

You should get a Tele... I find there's something about them that compliments a Les Paul, as far as playing them both... I don't know how to explain it. Switching back and forth, you'll appreciate them both...

Caevan, you might think about a Nashville Tele. Stock pups front and rear with a Strat pup in the middle and a 5way. The newer Teles even have contoured bodies that are comfy like a Strat. You could buy the body, neck, pups, switch plate, etc., separate and make it your own custom set up...but, if you still yearn for the vintage model Tele or Broadcaster, then I think you should go for it! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

You should get a Tele... I find there's something about them that compliments a Les Paul, as far as playing them both... I don't know how to explain it. Switching back and forth, you'll appreciate them both...

Caevan, you might think about a Nashville Tele. Stock pups front and rear with a Strat pup in the middle and a 5way. The newer Teles even have contoured bodies that are comfy like a Strat. You could buy the body, neck, pups, switch plate, etc., separate and make it your own custom set up...but, if you still yearn for the vintage model Tele or Broadcaster, then I think you should go for it! :cool:

You are both right, on all counts, Sirs. :rawk:

I have two compressor-pedals that are MAGICAL on a Telecaster- even a cheesy cheap low-quality knock-off of a Tele- that don't sound or feel so great with a Les Paul. I keep them just for the eventuality of my acquiring a good Tele style axe!