Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What I miss most about tonewheel organs

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pick your poison........

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/792815/1608589/414218005.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/792815/1608589/414218006.jpg

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

:2thu: yes the shear size and weight feels good and the thick and creamy 'dense' tone of the grind..Clonewheels have gotten very very good but some often have a bit less presence and girth in their sound...not all and it depends on how you set them up of course with parms and Leslie or sim or amplification...

The shear size of the instrument, as long as I don't have to move it. So substantial, you can practically climb on it while playing it, not worry if your x-stand will hold up....

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

There was a posting to the old zk3 Hammond mailing list in 1995 by one Perry Hemus that addressed both the smell and the sound. He was asking about whether he could get a decent Hammond sound out of an M-100 when driven through a "lesley". His posting included this line [ed. changes mine]:

I don't want a module or a synth, I hate them, I want a big bast@rd Hammond that screems, hums and smells like an old man's house.

This line started a thread on its own. I even quoted it in my mail sig at one point (with attribution of course ;) ).

OP: Why "miss" it? :) There's still plenty of tonewheel Hammonds around to be enjoyed, and as far as I know, it's mostly a buyer's market all over the US. M3's go for free even though -in my opinion- they are marvels of engineering just like the consoles, and have most of the Hammond magic inside.

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

Essential oil diffuser time? Post here if youre brave enough to try it. Probably voids the warranty on your lungs though.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.