Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha Montage 8 keybed...anyone know?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it's called the BH or Balanced Hammer keybed. Same as in my Motif XF8. Great in my opinion, works well for almost anything. Except perhaps for fast organ glisses.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

No clonkers? You guys are getting soft :)

It doesnt work well for synth playing imo. Jmo, everyone varies.

I've never been the clonk type unless I know where to find a thread. :)

I agree that for synth leads it can be a little heavy. That's where my Krome comes in via midi, for anything not meant for a hammer action. Pads and comp sounds etc are fine on that keybed in my opinion. Of course, Mr. Rudess plays his stuff on a hammer-action Rh3 Kronos, so...

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Thanks for the info on the keybed. I have a Kawai MP11SE and I think it's great for piano, but the Montage has a faster key return which is great for percussion.

Does Yamaha make another keyboard using the Balanced Hammer keybed without the internal sounds?

Thanks for the info on the keybed. I have a Kawai MP11SE and I think it's great for piano, but the Montage has a faster key return which is great for percussion.

Does Yamaha make another keyboard using the Balanced Hammer keybed without the internal sounds?

The CP73 has Balanced Hammer but has 73 keys and internal sounds.

Here for the gear.

Although they are both balanced rather than graded, the CP73 action (BHS) is not identical to the Montage 8 (BHE).

But getting back to the OP, if you want an 88-key hammer action that feels quick, check out the Kurzweil 88s that use the TP40 action... Forte (not SE), or in older models, any of the 88s whose model name starts with PC3. (And they also happen to be balanced rather than graded.) If you want the Montage 8 BHE action in particular, and are willing to look at used stuff, I believe you'll find it it all of the 88-key Motifs and S90 models.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

What is the difference between balanced and graded?

Graded actions feel heavier as you go to the left and lighter as you go to the right (as they do on an acoustic piano). Balanced actions feel the same throughout.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Just came across this list of actions used in many keyboards. It doesn't show the Montage, but many other Yamaha actions with the BHE keybed.

Looks like you're a studio user if you've got a Kawai MP11SE! I find it curious that on that list the Yamaha MO8 is using the GHE as well. The Montage, the S90, the Motif XF8 are all boat anchors, all over 60 pounds and quite expensive, and yet the Yamaha MO8 uses the BHE and only weighs 46 pounds and was under $2,000 new.

AFAIK, knowing the name of an action is a starting point. Apparently there's mods done to most keybeds by the manufacturer, and it's unlikely that all BHE actions are identical. Actually, I'm thinking mostly of Korg here with their RH3 keybed, but I believe this to be a nearly universal principle.

Why not a keyboard with good pads or just a pad controller for your percussion sounds? One keyboard that I can recommend with good pads is the Casio MZ-X500, I liked the feel of the 16 pads and could get good dynamics with it. It's quite advanced for its use of pads, you can trigger all manner of things from them.

Also, as per AS suggestion, the Studiologic SL88 sounds like a good TP40 board.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Hey guys, thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

AnotherScott, funny you should mention Kurzweil and S90. I had a PC88 many years ago and a S90 that lasted about 10 years. Both keyboards stopped working at one point and for some reason could not be fixed.

I decided to try the original NI S88 MKI, but I didn't like the keybed. There are a lot of keybeds on the market with this bouncy/rubbery feel to them. Returned it and got a VPC1, which I enjoyed playing piano on, but not the greatest for anything else. Sold that and got the MP11SE which is slightly less key heavy and I enjoy playing that, but yesterday when I tried the Montage, it took me back to the S90-PC88 days. I would have bought it open the spot, but I really don't want to spend $4K on a keybed.

I was wondering if the NI S88 MKII has a better keybed than the original.

Randelph, thanks for the list. I tried various pads over the years starting with the original Akai MPC back in the day. I even tried a few other pads last year, but I really don't want to go back to that again. I like having all my sounds on the keyboard. Both my VEPro templates have been organized for easy access.

Is the TP40 close to a BHE?

Another hammer action board to consider with a lighter than average feel would be the Kawai MP7. I'm not sure about the later MP7SE.

A version of the TP40 is also in the Studiologic SL88 Grand, though it's not as light a version as what Kurzweil uses. Still it might be worth checking out.

BHE= Balanced Hammer Effect

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Thanks, Randelph. Do you know if the TP40 is similar to the BHE?

I may be interested in a Doepfer LMK4+.

Also, would you know if there's a newer updated keybed in the NI S88 MKII? I never liked the original, but did like the concept. Thanks again.

Although they are both balanced rather than graded, the CP73 action (BHS) is not identical to the Montage 8 (BHE).

But getting back to the OP, if you want an 88-key hammer action that feels quick, check out the Kurzweil 88s that use the TP40 action... Forte (not SE), or in older models, any of the 88s whose model name starts with PC3. (And they also happen to be balanced rather than graded.) If you want the Montage 8 BHE action in particular, and are willing to look at used stuff, I believe you'll find it it all of the 88-key Motifs and S90 models.

Scott, you mentioned checking out the Kurzweil Forte, but not the SE version. Yet, according to the list, both have the Fatar TP/40L.

Forte (88): Fatar TP/40L

Forte SE (88): Fatar TP/40L

Were you referring to something else?

Thanks!

My favorite hammer action of any keyboard anywhere is the one on the Kawai ES8. Fairly close to the Motif Balanced Hammer one. Nice and smooth, plus quick.

The reason I don't have one is that it's far too limited for my purposes/price.

You guys know if the Fatar TP/40GH is much heavier than the TP/40L?

I'm thinking about getting the Doepfer LMK4+, but wondering what the difference between it and the Montage 8 might be in terms of keybeds?

Thanks!

I'd just go with the Montage 8, if I were you!

Its a great, powerful machine well worth the money with a great keybed that sounds perfect for your application.

And, despite conventional wisdom you can play synth leads just fine on it. the trick is to use organ technique-just press the keys to the trigger point and no further.

Dont cut corners, just get it once....

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

As said, there are quite a lot formidable 88 keys that function well as a masterkeyboard..

Montage 8

Kronos

Forte

Are on top of my list..

And if you can live witouth aftertouch, but want superb piano action,

I would add the Roland RD2000 to that list..

And there is a much longer list that qualifies in some Extend but all miss aftertouch

(Modx, fa08, kawai mp7/11,etc etc etc)

If you want a super 88 masterkey, and definately want no sounds, look at the Physis EX4 i believe, it even has aftertouch and anice triplesensor action with real wooden keys).

Guys, I think you're right. The Montage 8 is the way to go.

As I mentioned above, I have a Kawai MP11SE with wooden keys and I love it for piano, but that's about as far as it goes.

I'll be going back today to negotiate. Thanks again!

As said, there are quite a lot formidable 88 keys that function well as a masterkeyboard..

I think you confused this thread with the "88-key Midi Controllers" thread. The goal here wasn't to find a controller per se, but to find a (hopefully less expensive) keyboard that felt like the Montage 8.

Montage 8

Kronos

Forte

Are on top of my list..

And if you can live witouth aftertouch, but want superb piano action,

I would add the Roland RD2000 to that list..

And there is a much longer list that qualifies in some Extend but all miss aftertouch

(Modx, fa08, kawai mp7/11,etc etc etc)

If you want a super 88 masterkey, and definately want no sounds, look at the Physis EX4 i believe, it even has aftertouch and anice triplesensor action with real wooden keys).

Kronos is good, too!

That would be my second choice.....

Actually, Forte is a distant third.....

VAST is powerful and super deep, and the TP40 is a great action, but, Ive never connected with Kurz native patches.....

RD 2000 is oneof the best actions and EPs are phenomenal, but everything else is meh

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Guys, I think you're right. The Montage 8 is the way to go.

As I mentioned above, I have a Kawai MP11SE with wooden keys and I love it for piano, but that's about as far as it goes.

I'll be going back today to negotiate. Thanks again!

Great to hear it Dean! let us know how it goes

Robert Bosch, 1919