Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arturia Origin

Did anyone ever play/own one of these?

I have only seen them on youtube?

But the design was so prommissing.

Why where these synths not a success?

Maybe in the future Arturia might bring modularrity to the V-collection..

As there is enough proof that they have since the Origin created their synths in modular fashion, allowing them to add these modular things other projects .

Imagine using an arp2600 filter and a comb filter with 2 cs80 and a jupiter 8 oscilator and a whole bunch of modulation. They could even bring the brute and the freak oscilators to the V-collection..

Or just create a new hardware digital/va synth in the fasion of a Macrofreak..with the minifreak oscilators and some of the orrigin/v-collction oscilators filters etc etc..

In my book Arturia is in a perfect position to try another (semi) modular va synth.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More details/specs of what this keyboard was about, please.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Looked really cool. Tony had one. I think he said it was pretty cool.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I had one around the same time period. It was a very cool piece. I ended up trading it for a Voyager which was far more useful to me at the time.

Sounded great and had a great keyboard. I recall it really had it's own flavor and not the utopia mixture of famous legacy synths. The flip up panel was beautiful to look at but failed miserably in reality. It has to be the top board in a stack and when it was the top board in a stack, you couldn't comfortably reach the controls.

I had one around the same time period. It was a very cool piece. I ended up trading it for a Voyager which was far more useful to me at the time.

Sounded great and had a great keyboard. I recall it really had it's own flavor and not the utopia mixture of famous legacy synths. The flip up panel was beautiful to look at but failed miserably in reality. It has to be the top board in a stack and when it was the top board in a stack, you couldn't comfortably reach the controls.

Other than the impracticality when in a stacked keyboard scenario, how did you like it? The Voyager had sounds or a work flow that suited your needs better?

What year did it come out?

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Sounded great and had a great keyboard.

Other than the impracticality when in a stacked keyboard scenario, how did you like it? The Voyager had sounds or a work flow that suited your needs better?

What year did it come out?

Sounded great and had a great keyboard. The Origin workflow was either not intuitive or I didn't spend enough time with it. No comparison to the Voyager at all other than a mutually agreed upon value for trade. 2010 or '11

I owned it briefly maybe a year and a half ago. I loved the Prophet VS plugin of theirs so much, I really wanted it in hardware form, and the modularity it promised was mouth wateringly cool. I think the V Collection is very good, but I hate using software synths, and I was thinking the Origin would be all the great sound, with a great hardware interface.

So, the Origin does sound very very good. However, I found programming it to be very, very, very, cumbersome. Setting up a basic patch was so laborious, I would easily lose my inspiration momentum. The interface is just really tough IMHO.

I had a few other quibbles with it, but I can't recall the details. I returned after a few weeks.

They promised some stuff that never happened.

Been there, done that.

stromberg.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tEPa_MLcfTI/VkrBjQ8TVzI/AAAAAAAJ_1I/8HOwAJKxHPg/s1600/kurzva1left.jpg

NAMM should have a rule... if you can't deliver it in 6 months, you don't show it. :mad:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I guess the module version solved all of that?

As I understand it, the Arturia folks are not the biggest fans of the Origin. I guess it was kind of a challenging product for them.

dB

We also know what they didnt like?

in this age where modular is hot, this instrument looks better then ever.

They promised some stuff that never happened. Still, it's a cool piece.

Actually they prommised adding what we now know as the v-colection in modules..

This alone would set the Origin in a class of its own..

In the end it seems the developers at Arturia where allready on other projects the day this released.. and with success, as thesedays Arturia is both successfull in hardware and software..

I had the chance to play an Origin a few times over the last 10 years. Arturia's current software emulations are much nicer nowadays than the Origin.

The other thing I recall, is that the local music store said they were plagued with a lot of problems selling the Origin keyboards. It sounded to me like they were not the greatest quality...

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

Tony here....

What Dan said. Felt great, looked cool.....IN the studio Completely stupid for live. Ergonomically a disaster, it was anything but spontaneous.

Not intuitive, and you couldn't really tell what was doing what.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.