Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Considering trading for a MODX8. Short on storage space.

I have too much gear. Considering a lighter 88 but something needs to go thinking about trading in my S90XF but that feels like trading down but I'm short on storage space. My daughter uses my MP5. She likes the music rack. Maybe I can find a music stand she would like and trade off the MP5.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely recommend the MODX 8. There are some trade-offs, but overall it has seemed worth it. I sold off my S90XS to pick up a Montage 8 in 2016. That became an MODX 8, due to portability and space; I didn't need all of the Montage functionality. I managed to convert all of my own Motif/S-series Voices through to the MODX 8, so it's like having 15 years of Yamaha history in a fairly compact 88.

Still, there is something to be said for hanging on to the S90XS; I do missed several things about mine. I like your idea about trading the MP5 and keeping the S90XS for your daughter.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Played one the other day. The MODX is a heck of a gigging board. The GHS is surprisingly quick and piano like - and happens to be graded - which isnt a deal breaker or maker but quite nice when arping and glissing. And otherwise piano licking. Its a little more expensive but perhaps worth it if you need the palette and controller capabilities when compared to Kurz SP6, Casio PX-5S, Korg Grandstage.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Still not happy about the keybed quality though. Returned the MODX8 dreading more clacking noises. Thought of going for the MODX7 next, but dislike the uneven spacing between keys on that one. As I find the Montage too big, Im hoping Yamaha ups quality control on its Chinese MODX line.

Curious, other place I read this was a review on Sweetwater -

Cheaply designed. Keybed problems.

I returned this product, so is my piano teacher. There are several reports of keybed malfunction on the forums - noises and clicks from the keybed that has been starting to develop after daily use. It took for three units of MODX8 we bought/replaced to have few defective keys after a few days of use. This should be the same keybed as the MOXF8 one. Yamaha's GHS keyboard. I do not know what happened to this design to be malfunctioned so badly. In addition to that, the MODX series is cheaply designed and will not last for long for those who are thinking to keep it for years. The interface, sounds, patches, touch screen, Super Knob, synth capabilities are well worth the money since this is all taken from the Montage series which is much more expensive. This synthesizer could have been a very good product if it wasn't so cheaply downgraded compared to his big, more expensive brother - Yamaha Montage.

Yamaha sells an awful lot of GHS equipped keyboards. Not sure what people are seeing on this first run of MODX8s to hit the stores. It wasnt an issue on the floor model I got to play. But I dont doubt buyers right now would want to make sure they have time to play their new MODX8 plenty that first month.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I played the MODX8 a few weeks back and was more impressed than the first time I played the MODX6 for some reason. As I am getting older weight is becoming a factor in my keyboard decision now but the floor model that I played the keybed was sorta clacky not real bad but noticeable.

I guess I will wait and see if some improvements are made on the keybed before I buy.

I spent a few minutes with the MODX 7 and 8 at a Shitar Center a few days ago and was very impressed with the overall quality of the sounds, especially the AP's and EP's, which are definitely better that my MX88. The organ presets were surprisingly good for a rompler as well. My only disappointment, based on my brief interaction with the MODX's, was the lack of dedicated layer and split buttons. Did I miss them or are they buried in the touch screen menu? If so, could split and layer functionality be assigned to a couple of assignable buttons which I noticed to the right of the pitch bend and mod wheels?

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I spent a few minutes with the MODX 7 and 8 at a Shitar Center a few days ago and was very impressed with the overall quality of the sounds, especially the AP's and EP's, which are definitely better that my MX88. The organ presets were surprisingly good for a rompler as well. My only disappointment, based on my brief interaction with the MODX's, was the lack of dedicated layer and split buttons. Did I miss them or are they buried in the touch screen menu? If so, could split and layer functionality be assigned to a couple of assignable buttons which I noticed to the right of the pitch bend and mod wheels?

there isn't an auto-split button like on, say MOXF. Motif and montage flagships never had such a button either. But its very very very easy to do unless you are really randomly flying thru a piece and spontaneously want to throw in a random split instantly. Press Performance, select the part and define the key range you want it to sound in. Its all easy access on the main Performance screen, no menu diving. there's a key button to the left that will let you set upper or lower limit by pressing a key vs scrolling to a letter-number value.

Layering is possibly even easier - press Performance button, click the first empty Part, pick a new part from library. powerful easy search options, even including search by name or partial name - makes finding that next part very simple. the newly added part default to playing across the entire key range unless that part was for some reason pre-programmed to only play in a certain range - hence layered across the entire board. Of course you can then narrow range of keys per above to have split layers.

overall the interface is really easy to use.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

... could split and layer functionality be assigned to a couple of assignable buttons which I noticed to the right of the pitch bend and mod wheels?

you can program alot of controls on MODX to do alot of things - the buttons Ass1 and Ass2 can be made to modify a wide range of things. I use this for among other tihngs, changing the parts that play at any given time on any given key.

you can't program a button to become the auto-split/layer button you think of that are lower segment keyboard models. Those models typically have that button because they do NOT have the much more powerful and advanced programming features that MODX and other higher end boards have. often it is literally the only manner of split or layer possible, and it often has many limitations.

As mentioned, splits and layers are very easy to do on MODX and it has very powerful extensive options. Once you learn it, you won't really want the simple and limited "split/layer" button of yore.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

... could split and layer functionality be assigned to a couple of assignable buttons which I noticed to the right of the pitch bend and mod wheels?

you can program alot of controls on MODX to do alot of things - the buttons Ass1 and Ass2 can be made to modify a wide range of things. I use this for among other tihngs, changing the parts that play at any given time on any given key.

you can't program a button to become the auto-split/layer button you think of that are lower segment keyboard models. Those models typically have that button because they do NOT have the much more powerful and advanced programming features that MODX and other higher end boards have. often it is literally the only manner of split or layer possible, and it often has many limitations.

As mentioned, splits and layers are very easy to do on MODX and it has very powerful extensive options. Once you learn it, you won't really want the simple and limited "split/layer" button of yore.

Thanks for info... I confess that I'm an old button/ knobs/ slider guy and am a little frightened of touch screen menus for live gigging :blush:. In any case, I'm considering selling my Nord5D 73 and picking up a MODX7 for a portable one board solution for quick and/or difficult load in-out gigs. As mentioned, I was pleasantly surprised by the MODX's organ presets. For higher-end two-board gigs, I have already have organ covered with a Hammond Sk1 (or perhaps I would keep the more flexible NE5D 73 for organ and sell the SK1).

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)