Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stevie Nicks "Rhiannon" live in Chicago - piano intro

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar experience several years ago when I was in a Heart tribute band. Although I was pleasantly surprised to find more keyboard parts than I expected, the keys were mostly in a support role, so I wanted to maximize the few spotlight moments I had. Like the real Heart we covered Love Reign Oer Me by The Who, which featured a piano intro. While not as complex as the intro in Richs post, I had some fun copying, and then embellishing, on what Hearts keyboard player Debbie Shair was doing.

[video:youtube]

We often opened our show with this tune, featuring a nice intro, as well.

[video:youtube]

So cool to have so much live footage available these days, very helpful for tribute bands.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Quick update, not that anyone's losing any sleep over it but tonight I listened to that piano piece over and over all the way home from work and now have been working on it at home for about two hours and I'm proud to say I have it pretty close, I'd say 80 percent down and I'm confident I'll have it sounding good by our rehearsal next Wednesday. Like almost all of these types of parts and solos, with repeated listening and patient analysis by ear and practice, it turns out to be not nearly as hard as it sounds when you first listen to it. I seldom do this but at some future point I might be tempted to make a little home video or maybe I'll get a good one from one of the upcoming shows with the new band, and share it here just to show you guys how I did with your encouragement. ("Love Reign O'er Me," yes, was a great one I got to learn and play with a band a few times last year, found a transcription to the piano on line and did a good job on that if I say so myself. Locomotive Breath I could never conquer but I've bookmarked the video lesson and sheet music that were posted here for it today, for next time it ever comes up!)

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

• 10 months later...

Hey, thought I'd revive this thread of mine mine from last year, to show you guys what I eventually came up with this. Maybe not quite note for note but pretty close and I'm admittedly kind of proud of having taken it apart and copped it even this well, given how daunting it seemed when I first listened to it. This is from this past weekend; I learned the piece last summer and have been doing it at gigs since then, but this is the first time I have a take and a video good enough to want to share it here.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Thanks fellas. Your right RoadHouse, that is the trickiest part where it goes to the Dm, the left hand part there is tough for me to pick out, I'm definitely just kind of approximating it

Rich Forman

It totally evokes the original that you are emulating.

As you may know Jon Cain odes a piano solo on tour with Journey...often times before "Who's Cryin' Now"

I used to be concerned nailing it note for note, until I went and listened to several different date recordings from the same tour.

With the exception of some consistent basics, he would change it up.

So I took the approach of doing a "Jon Cain style" solo/intro that fit in the Journey motif.

When it comes to iconic piano solos that are written into songs, I do work to nail them, such a Jessica, Call me The Breeze, etc...

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Thanks Cowboy and Al for the kind words. Yup that's Willie in sax!

Rich Forman

Loved what you did with it, Rich, and your piano sound was nice, too. Is it strictly the Yamaha sound? Im usually not a fan of Yamaha pianos.

I have an issue with your vocalist, though. She sounds a lot like Nicks, but she has also exactly copied her vocal cheats. Nicks has an excuse - shes just 10 days shy of 71. This woman has no excuse to not hit, for instance, the C on life in the line All your life you've never seen.... She should sing the damn song. I would be pissed if I paid to hear a night of lazy singing.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Thanks for the compliment Synthaholic! Means a lot. All my sounds are from my Korg Kronos, I use the Yamaha MOXF8 strictly as a controller.

In defense of our (wonderfully talented!) singer, she is meticulously and deliberately recreating, the whole band is, the arrangements and performances from specific live versions we've selected, so however she sings it is (I'm guessing) exactly how Stevie does it on the version we do (the one I posted atop the thread in this case). So in most cases in our set (a few exceptions, but this isn't one of them), she wouldn't be doing the exact melody or phrasing from the studio version.

Rich Forman

...In defense of our (wonderfully talented!) singer, she is meticulously and deliberately recreating, the whole band is, the arrangements and performances from specific live versions we've selected, so however she sings it is (I'm guessing) exactly how Stevie does it on the version we do (the one I posted atop the thread in this case). So in most cases in our set (a few exceptions, but this isn't one of them), she wouldn't be doing the exact melody or phrasing from the studio version.

BTW, I love your piano intro. That original source is superior to the later one. You did well with it. I may be reading into it but you seemed to treat it as precious as it is delicate. I would like to be able to play that now.

I personally get what your vocalist is aiming for. Like Elvis there is the young fit/studio Nicks and the older road/drug worn Nicks. She has sounded and looked substantially different than those youthful days for the majority of her years now. Even though I have heard the studio versions countless times there are numerous live versions spanning her career once she started performing solo which have a lot in common with one another. I like some of the consistent live interpretations better in many instances.

An aside, it is always interesting how some people engage in long conversations during performances. It is one thing to make brief comments on the moment at hand but so many people seem to be oblivious to the setting. I realize this venue was more of a club but I hear it at full blown concerts of legends.