Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2989817 - 05/16/19 05:09 AM Some interesting comments from smokin` Joe
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
I`ll just post this. Maybe I`ll say something later.
https://guitar.com/features/opinion-anal...JSeUGcA5n1qzNks

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

GP Island
#2989829 - 05/16/19 08:04 AM Re: Some interesting comments from smokin` Joe [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I agree with Joe. Having a guitar player of his caliber on stage and engineers telling him how he is going to play in front of the audience is not the way to go. He should be in charge of his guitar and amp equipment to include his vocal mic. You do have to rely on the sound guys but you are the star and have to play a major role in keeping it that way. I don't like the idea of IEM's either...

Live sound is live sound. The engineers should be able to mic your amp and bring your sound out to the audience the way you want it done. You have to make some concessions with stage volume and the size of the venue that you are playing at. There are ways to have some say and control. Joe Bonnamassa knows what he wants, the same as Clapton, Beck, [insert star]. It's up to the sound man to deliver and give the audience their sound as best he or she can. The smaller the star, the less they will get to say...but they should not have to play softer than the horns (which is why they invented the electric guitar in the first place, so they could be heard on stage) paraphrasing.

I have watched Chris Isaak walk around the far reaches of the audience with a live mic performing a song or two while listening to what they are hearing to make sure there is not a bad seat in the house. I have watched Tommy Emmanuel have his own final mixer and controls on stage while traveling with [his] own sound man for the FOH. Bringing your guitar and your vocals to the audience, is why you were booked in the first place. I like to hear what the audience hears when setting my own little PA and having good monitors makes a huge difference in how I sing and play. If I can't hear myself, I will not be able to play and sing as well. I have to rely on the sound guys (unless that is me), as I'm just a piss ant in the cosmos compared to the stars LOL! cool

Edited by Larryz (05/16/19 08:08 AM)

#2989942 - 05/16/19 10:16 PM Re: Some interesting comments from smokin` Joe [Re: skipclone 1]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Agreed with all of the above. One wouldn't insist on stuffing socks or even proper mutes down the bell of a saxophone unless that muted sound was the goal; same goes for the electric guitar. let the instrument be played as the instrument that it has become.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2989956 - 05/17/19 04:40 AM Re: Some interesting comments from smokin` Joe [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I agree with the above commentary too. Now, some HAVE "maligned" the electric guitar's overused high volume in certain quarters. For instance....

JAMES TAYLOR, in an old taped performance I saw broadcast on PBS sometime in the late '70's, during his intro to his tune "Steamroller", complained a bit about electric blues players who, he felt cranked it up too much, saying sarcastically, "As if VOLUME equals SOUL rolleyes " But he really wasn't against loud electric guitars. They just had a different place....

But yeah, I suspect that in some artists cases, Like Joe's and many others, LOUD is probably what the audience( remember them? THEY pay the bills if you recall sound guys!) probably wants and expects.

I don't suspect ANY Ted Nugent fan ever went to a show and wished HE scaled back on the volume and would prefer having to lean forward in order to hear him! But too....

Some people(like the aforementioned sound "engineers") get certain notions from somewhere, like back in late '79, when shopping around for a new home sound system was told by many a stereo "tech/ salesman" that I didn't want a system that had any good measure of bass, saying, "People want HEADROOM these days!" Too bad for him I preferred to spend MY money on what I wanted. wink
Whitefang

#2989983 - 05/17/19 07:29 AM Re: Some interesting comments from smokin` Joe [Re: whitefang]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It's a "cumulative" thing... as guitarists, we're punished for the last 20 blasters that ran people out of the club. I love my Vox AC30... when I load it into a club I start getting screamed at by soundmen for being too loud before I plug it in... I'm getting screamed at for the last guy who played his AC30 too loudly. I carry in two little Supros... 2 x 25 watts is "louder" than 1 x 30 watts, right? Well, there's a novelty... they've never had anyone bring in those amps so they're curious and nice and don't complain when I play them at the same volume I would play the AC30.

I accommodate the room and the gig. I've used attenuators, I've used plex-glass screens in front of the amps, I use stands to tilt them back so they're aimed at me and not the audience - sometimes pointed at me next to the vocal monitor, I've played with the amp offstage somewhere mic'ed up, I've used things to go direct into the P.A. I will fight with the sound engineer when they start trying to change my tone beyond what I think is reasonable. Some of these guys now... have the mindset that they're eq-ing their own stereo in their living room.

As a side note, a bassist asked the other day "hey... when did live bass start sounding so fantastic in general? I've noticed for about a year attending shows, and hearing recordings of our gigs, that electric bass sounds great these days." Some people said amps and gear, but he commented the bands he's seeing are using the same old SVTs and ancient Acoustic rigs and stuff that's been around since the 80s... my suggestion was... "HIP HOP/DANCE MUSIC!!!!" Most clubs have systems that double between live music and dj nights, so that's shaped the design of speakers and mixers, etc., because that sphere of music is ALL bottom end... and that crowd likes it LOUD... they want the earth to move under their feet with every kick drum hit. Yet guitarists the ones vilified for volume!

#2990080 - 05/17/19 01:18 PM Re: Some interesting comments from smokin` Joe [Re: p90jr]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: p90jr
I accommodate the room and the gig. I've used attenuators, I've used plex-glass screens in front of the amps, I use stands to tilt them back so they're aimed at me and not the audience - sometimes pointed at me next to the vocal monitor, I've played with the amp offstage somewhere mic'ed up, I've used things to go direct into the P.A.

I will fight with the sound engineer when they start trying to change my tone beyond what I think is reasonable. Some of these guys now... have the mindset that they're eq-ing their own stereo in their living room.

I'm sure that you play out FAAARRR more often than I have, but I've also done all of those things, and I also have and use some low-watt tube-amps, as well. I actually try to keep a reasonable and appropriate volume-level, overall; but having zero volume at all and being treated like an mp3 player instead of a musical instrument player is something to wholly reject.

As a side note, a bassist asked the other day "hey... when did live bass start sounding so fantastic in general? I've noticed for about a year attending shows, and hearing recordings of our gigs, that electric bass sounds great these days." Some people said amps and gear, but he commented the bands he's seeing are using the same old SVTs and ancient Acoustic rigs and stuff that's been around since the 80s... my suggestion was... "HIP HOP/DANCE MUSIC!!!!" Most clubs have systems that double between live music and dj nights, so that's shaped the design of speakers and mixers, etc., because that sphere of music is ALL bottom end... and that crowd likes it LOUD... they want the earth to move under their feet with every kick drum hit. Yet guitarists the ones vilified for volume!

Also noted and agreed in my own experiences!

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2990129 - 05/18/19 04:12 AM Re: Some interesting comments from smokin` Joe [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
razz
I'm not sure I like the way p90jr posts, "...been around since the '80's" as if it was SO...LOOONNNNGGGG ago! cry laugh

But, I guess as far as the equipment being discussed goes, it IS. wink
Whitefang

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose