Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

Dave, it'll be worth waiting for, I promise! Very happy with my S1000. Incidentally, which of the 'small islands' are you on? :)

Hi Aidan - the Wight one! Not heard of Snark Island Jahfume except in Lewis Carroll's writing - did you mean Sark; one of the Channel Islands?

Dave

Not certain if this is off topic or not. The manuals don't appear to be on the Casio website yet. The product page reports that the units can be powered by batteries. Can they run on USB power as well?

https://support.casio.com/en/manual/manualresult.php?cid=008021002&keyword=

Thanks.

No it cant be powered over USB.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I just realized that when using the built in drum machine on the s 3000 that it reacts to your playing .I was using the jazz drummer for back up timing while playing Fly Me To the Moon on my Dexibell and it just kept a straight simple beat ,then I tried playing it on the Casio and the drums were all over the place which was harder to keep in time with but it makes a great practice tool , it also sounds pretty nice .

I just realized that when using the built in drum machine on the s 3000 that it reacts to your playing .I was using the jazz drummer for back up timing while playing Fly Me To the Moon on my Dexibell and it just kept a straight simple beat ,then I tried playing it on the Casio and the drums were all over the place which was harder to keep in time with but it makes a great practice tool , it also sounds pretty nice .

Huh.... following chords is your basic arranger capability, but the rythym following your playing? Examples please!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I haven't used the S3000 arranger features YET.

With full blown arranger keyboards, you can have the rhythm section change based on chord types/performance but even then these variations are all pre-programmed and predictable. I wouldn't expect the S3000 to do this because that's more like advanced arranger features.

I'd be also interested to know more about what pianomike had to say:

"I just realized that when using the built in drum machine on the s 3000 that it reacts to your playing"

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

Randelph I don't know for shore but I only got the same straight beat over and over again wen I played the dexibell ,but when I went to play the casio it added some fills to it. I did record the casio and my timing is off but you can here it doesn't stay the same all the way through so my thinking is because its listening to what I am playing , have to find out from Mike Martin for shore , go to mike lupinetti on you tube , Fly Me To The Moon .

I like the Jazz 01 Steady Jazz Rhythm and its ride cymbal variation. However, I am sure it does not react to my playing ( that would have been highly touted by Casio if it could do that.) What I do hear is two 8 bar loops that have a variety of different kicks . It always loops the same whether I am playing or not.

I also like the 01 Bossa and the 22 Calypso rhythms.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I will have to try the Dexibell again , maybe I was too busy reading the sheet music ,but I thought the drum sound just kept repeating the same straight beat when not playing the casio . I will just follow the drum beat by itself and see if it does anything different when playing the casio . I might have an over vivid imagination .

Mike, I wonder if you were triggering something while you were playing. I know for some of the built in patterns on some Casio models it will change based on what you play, but I don't know if a straight drum rhythm would.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeolJc8HByQ

I'm not sure what's going on there with the drum part

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks Joe for setting that up , The only time I added a variation was to end the song , I know when I was playing with the jazz drummer I was trying to play different left hand and right hand phrases so maybe there is a certain way you can get it to trigger a slight response from the drummer . Jazz , I like the first, second , and I think fourth Jazz drum rhthym,s the last one being the Orchestra Swing Rhthym .

Ok, I watched it (thanks, Joe). Mike, I dont think youre going to like what I have to say, but first of allthe drum intro is crazy busy with all the fills and hits and it would probably throw lots of players off. After that you never really synced up to it properly. Your time is pretty fluid and the Casios time is the opposite. Its like a metronome it does not sync to you.

I would try to set up or find a simple repeating brush or ride cymbal pattern and get comfortable playing with that first. Playing to a metronome, which this kind of is, is challenging for even the very best players.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

One other thing-I dont have one of these instruments at this time, but isnt there some kind of click before starting, so you know where one is? Just starting with the drum fill seems ridiculous, because it could be starting on one, two, three or four or somewhere in between.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

I have always had trouble playing in time with a drum machine or a metronome and at the beginning of the song I really don't know where to start so I just try to dive in at the right spot . I haven't had any trouble playing with bands which I played in years ago because they were easy to follow and you can hear where everyone is at , its a little harder when you play a little harder on the piano and you drown out the drums its easy to lose the beat .

The Intro for 01 SteadyJazz is an elaborate 12 measure long intro. Its practically a drum solo, I skip it and press Normal play. I dont get why its so long and busy. I would have made it more practical , 2 or maybe 4 bars long without all the heavy accents and flashy kicks...so, I recommend just pressing Normal and not the Intro. The orange flashing light is always on beat 1. Red light flashes on beats 2 3 4 .

01 Steady Jazz keeps basic quarter note jazz time with brushes and a few modest kicks. It loops two slightly different 8 measure phrases indefinitely.The Variation moves it to a ride cymbal.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I think the reason 01 Steady Jazz is the first Rhythm in the Jazz Rhythm Library is because its the best for accompaniment . It stays out of your way. Most of the other jazz rhythm loops are too busy, they intrude, and are too aggressive, which isnt very realistic feeling. Subtlety is the key for jazz drum loops, imo. So Casio wisely put the least intrusive rhythm loops in the 01 positions for Jazz and Latin.

For Pop (or funky) #45: Modern R&B is good, it has that natural sounding snare drum, it kind of sounds like a real drummer.

08 UK Beat is clean eighths and should be in the 01 position, imo.

20: 16 Beat is good and clean 16ths. Its a go to loop.

I have always had trouble playing in time with a drum machine or a metronome and at the beginning of the song I really don't know where to start so I just try to dive in at the right spot

I know this is OT for this thread but I watched several of your unaccompanied videos and Id like to suggest that this is a worthwhile area to zero in on. If you force yourself to practice with a metronome 10 minutes a day, I feel confidant that you will see and feel improvement within 2-3 weeks, and will really boost your playing to another level in terms of confidence and timing. It will feel terrible at first, but that will get better.

Sorry for the unsolicited advice. I bet 90% of us, including myself, have room for improvement in this area.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com