Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard stand recommendations

Hi Everyone,

I plan to own an 88-key midi controller which will control software tools like Reason 10 (used for the synths) and Cubase (used for recording) and on top of the above an 88-key top-shelf synth. Right now, I have a table which is only one tier meaning everything is on the same level with the computer keyboard sitting close to the edge of the desk and the MIDI controller sitting between the computer keyboard and computer monitor. I chose this setup to shorten my travel path between interacting with short-cuts on the computer keyboard and playing on the MIDI controller. It sounds great until you constantly hit keyboard shortcuts with your forearms as you play.

I decided I am going to buy a keyboard stand but plan for the future rather than worry about the dinky MIDI controller I have now. I have been looking at the Hercules Z-style 2-tier stand. Looks super solid in my opinion and the angle of the top tier brings the keyboards closer together which I believe I will enjoy over two parallel tiers.

Thoughts?, probably cant go wrong here but I wanted opinions.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking at the Knox Gear stand and the Plixio Stand I like their

design but would have to do some work to get them to suit my needs.

the cross bar attachment points look weak, needs gussets and it doesn't

extend wide enough, would have to add to the outer tube.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Asked many times here; would be good for you to read the sticky threads at the top, especially the one about the best way to search the forum.

That said, my answer to this question every time is the On-Stage KS-7365EN heavy duty 2-tier Z stand.

Enjoy!

Asked many times here; would be good for you to read the sticky threads at the top, especially the one about the best way to search the forum.

That said, my answer to this question every time is the On-Stage KS-7365EN heavy duty 2-tier Z stand.

Enjoy!

Get the case for it, though. Because without it, it's a pain in the ass.

On second thought, it's still a pain in the ass. But it's still a great stand and built like a brick house...after all the stupid rubber stoppers fall off.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Enjoy!

On second thought, it's still a pain in the ass. But it's still a great stand and built like a brick house...after all the stupid rubber stoppers fall off.

+1 for this stand.

Not sure if you plan to transport, but the PITA is mitigated somewhat if you have enough room in your vehicle to leave the bottom portion assembled. Remove the two upper-tier arms and then fold over the lower tier. A little awkward to carry, but not too bad.

Ive had this stand for close to ten years and its still rock solid.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

my answer to this question every time is the On-Stage KS-7365EN heavy duty 2-tier Z stand.

Enjoy!

Oh, I have that to look forward to? :facepalm:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I have been looking at the Hercules Z-style 2-tier stand. Looks super solid in my opinion and the angle of the top tier brings the keyboards closer together which I believe I will enjoy over two parallel tiers.

I prefer the Hercules Z over the On Stage Z because the levers/tabs are easier than knobs on my arthritic thumbs!

Here for the gear.

I have been looking at the Hercules Z-style 2-tier stand. Looks super solid in my opinion and the angle of the top tier brings the keyboards closer together which I believe I will enjoy over two parallel tiers.

I prefer the Hercules Z over the On Stage Z because the levers/tabs are easier than knobs on my arthritic thumbs!

Man, I wish I knew about the Hercules. That looks like so less of a hassle compared to the On Stage.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I have this On-Stage 2-tier stand that they no longer make, and I don't know the model # as I removed the sticker a long time ago. The upper tier is completely non-adjustable and non-tilted. Its construction is dead simple (all beams/bars are welded or riveted together), so there are not many parts, knobs, or screws that can break off and become lost.

Bought it around 2003/04, I think it was well under $100, and it's lasted me a damn long time. I searched and searched for it, but not even a legacy record of it ever having existed on the internet.

$_35.JPG

^^^^^

This current offering from On-Stage (a "workbench" for DJs or home studios) is similar to my stand, except it doesn't have any flat surface boards on it... But the way the "Z" faces on this stand is the same as mine, with the leg-ends facing away from you instead of toward you... and the slanted beams holding the whole thing up slanting toward you instead of away from you. The only other real difference is that this workbench has "double braced" beams, whereas mine is single. The bars that hold the keyboards up are "in line" as compared with typical Z-stands where the lower bars are wider. As a result, the whole stand is not as wide as typical Z stands.

It is still going strong after all these years, and I used to pile two 45+ pound board on that thing for YEARS at a time. Nothing has ever come loose, nothing ever breaks. And it's considerably lightweight compared to other Z stands.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M