Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboardists, if you could do things again...

would you do things differently?

Probably lots of things for me. Two jump out..

1) I would have kept up my sight reading chops. I stopped reading at a very young age. I regret not keeping that skill up.

2) I would have gone to college, learned a bit about business, before diving deep into music. I think I would have had a more satisfying and worthwhile experience.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Any time spent on regret is wasted in my book.

I dropped out of college and toured the country for 10 years while I was young enough to enjoy it, and at a time when the live music scene allowed one to make a living.

When it was time to raise a family, I went back to school and was able to concentrate because I was more mature, having already sowed my wild oats.

Moe

---

I would've said yes more.

^^^^

THIS

And especially when I didn't know exactly what I was doing, or wasn't a monster in the style being covered. Cj Vanston's interview in Keyboard Mag, several years ago, was a real eye opener, again. It's basically stuff he suggested to me back in 1987, when I was working my way into the Chicago area scene. I didn't quite follow his guidance then :cry:. Fear is a powerful thing, but it's getting to be irritating AF..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

There were a lot of bands I stayed in longer than I should have, because I didn't want to sever friendships, or just out of some sense of not wanting to be a quitter, hoping things would get better when the trend was clearly in the other direction. If I could do it again, I'd act in my own self interest much more.

Kind of pointless exercise, since I can't (do it again). But I guess there's the hope that someone reading this will have a lightbulb go on over their head.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I would take my music more seriously and be involved in more bands and theatre projects. As it was, I didn't have folks with awesome chops and motivation around me, and took my talent for granted.

When I do this life over I will learn to be that keyboardist/producer that can provide the spicy beats and soundscapes, and my prime motivation will be to bring together musicians, dancers, singers etc. together to express and enjoy.

It's funny I see this topic tonight, I had a bathtub insight tonight about my primary motivation around music being to bring folks together in a powerful way thru music.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Would have bought a Hammond first thing instead of fooling around with combo organs and trading up. Lost money that way. Would have kept up with lessons and learned some theory formally. All things considered though, if I had it to do over... I sure would.

Oh, and another thing, I'd sleep with more groupies. Not that we keyboardists get a lot of them, but there were opportunities I passed up. I thought I was taking the high road. What the hell was I thinking.

I might have taken lessons ... and practiced. I'm self taught and only started playing keyboard in bands late in life. I played sax and guitar in bands all my life but only took up keys because the opportunity presented itself. Then again, if I had taken piano lessons when I was younger, I might never have ended up playing in rock and blues bands. Who knows?

What I really wish is that I had learned to play Hammond organ when I was young including playing the bass pedals. I'm always so impressed when I see somebody play that instrument.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Trust my gut feeling and not trust those out for themselves.

Easier said than done.

Wish I had stuck with Bach more when I was younger. Didn't realise how important fingering was playing conterpoint personally. I do now and it's helped immensely. The Inventions, WTC etc will really help your technique.

Like, I didn't learn more sight readng than primary school recorde lessons, high school self education with library books, and as early graduate plowing through conservatory sight reading course books. I know I should have practiced (what's wrong with spell-check ?!) more, but I don't think I care having to take something of an afternoon to read a page of complicated classical music. I know all the symbols and timing meanings, and yeah, it would be nice to just play some Brahms I never saw before, I don't really care about that.

I seriously think I might have liked it better to, in an early stage in the 80's, have bought a cool Prophet, instead of some of the Jap stuff.

Like now I regret not to live in San Fransisco, but that probably isn't in the department of "regret"...

T

There were a lot of bands I stayed in longer than I should have, because I didn't want to sever friendships, or just out of some sense of not wanting to be a quitter, hoping things would get better when the trend was clearly in the other direction. If I could do it again, I'd act in my own self interest much more.

Kind of pointless exercise, since I can't (do it again). But I guess there's the hope that someone reading this will have a lightbulb go on over their head.

Wise indeed

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

Probably lots of things for me. Two jump out..

1) I would have kept up my sight reading chops. I stopped reading at a very young age. I regret not keeping that skill up.

2) I would have gone to college, learned a bit about business, before diving deep into music. I think I would have had a more satisfying and worthwhile experience.

Interesting topic, coming up a lot lately - directly related to how much we are earning and if we've managed to scratch out a life for ourselves.

Biggest fears have always been my hands, longevity and health. 10x more so since starting a family. Need to make sure everyone is cared for. Had wrist trouble for a bit from practicing classical rep on a DP and not adjusting well to it. Learned that lesson the hard way - thankfully recovered. This winter the trigger finger started giving me trouble. Need to stretch and warm up and cool down as I get closer to 50.

But because I played it safe, I can't complain - not wealthy by a long shot, but definitely in the lower middle class because I played it safe. I practiced a lot, learned to read well but that didn't stop me from playing by ear or improvising. I threw myself into a lot of playing situations and picked up lots of styles. And I did go to school - finished two degrees in music and got certified to teach. I probably work a lot more hours for less money than other fields with an MA - but I'm doing what I chose to do and working in my field of study. In a few weeks I'll take my 8 year old to Disney for the first time instead of getting a Montage or Kronos (or renovating a kitchen that has seen better days).

No regrets!

:cheers:

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I would have stayed away from certain musicians. I would have fired people on in my current band a lot earlier then I did. I don't have too much regret. I mean I would have like to be a better piano player but I always had martial arts on the side and the fact I am such a later bloomer.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I should have done everything to develop my voice. There were so many opportunities like church and school choirs, and school/community musicals. When I young I simply did not have the inclination nor did realize how important it is for a musician to sing. I started singing as an adult and I can get by.... but Im sure Id be a much better singer if I had started really singing early in life.

This.

I think it's not only wasted, but counter-productive and unhealthy for the mind and body. There's only one way and it's forward! What really matters is what you're doing NOW to improve what you want to improve.

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

Also let me add ear training. I wish also I had really dedicated much more time to it. I am a believer ( for the most part) that its never too late, so I do make it a point to do ear training every day now. My aural skills have gone from really bad

to Ok With more work I think I can keep on developing my ear to a high level. Its a life long process I suppose.

This.

I think it's not only wasted, but counter-productive and unhealthy for the mind and body. There's only one way and it's forward! What really matters is what you're doing NOW to improve what you want to improve.

+1

Learn to read, practice more...but I'm content with where I am as a keys player. I'm a good asset in a part-time non-pro band and like my non-music career.

I wish I'd gotten started sooner with singing. I really enjoy it and feel like I could have done it much more (maybe even lead) in my younger days.

I REALLY wish I'd stuck with guitar when I was younger, when it's so much easier to learn (and I had way more time). Having the versatility to play keys and guitar would be awesome and it's something I have always wanted to do (and still might, I'm working on it!)

In a few weeks I'll take my 8 year old to Disney for the first time instead of getting a Montage or Kronos (or renovating a kitchen that has seen better days).

No regrets!

So if you could do it over again, you'd get the Kronos. Got it!

Mandolin...probably a sign of my advancing age that weight and hassle are my utmost concerns.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Used more hand cream when I was a young tyke along with serious piano study in my early teens instead of my early 20's . . . I stopped studying at about 9-10 after almost 3 years or so and played R & R from 13-21 actively....which BTW I wouldn't have traded for anything in life and a true Huck Finn experience for me in the late 60's though the mid 70's , so life is never simple to navigate.. :keys: But I'm a happy Campo now regardless.... no regrets what-so-ever...and glad to be playing and still growing musically at the ripe old age of 64 :cheers:

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

In a few weeks I'll take my 8 year old to Disney for the first time instead of getting a Montage or Kronos (or renovating a kitchen that has seen better days).

No regrets!

So if you could do it over again, you'd get the Kronos. Got it!

:facepalm::laugh:

Not at all, some gear is just window shopping material. Not gig necessary.

Different priorities at different times of life. ;)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560