Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Keyboardists, if you could do things again... #2989610 05/14/19 10:45 PM
waygetter Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
would you do things differently?

Probably lots of things for me. Two jump out..

1) I would have kept up my sight reading chops. I stopped reading at a very young age. I regret not keeping that skill up.

2) I would have gone to college, learned a bit about business, before diving deep into music. I think I would have had a more satisfying and worthwhile experience.

soundcloud.com/stream
KC Island
Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: waygetter] #2989611 05/14/19 10:56 PM
mate stubb Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
Nope. Any time spent on regret is wasted in my book.

I dropped out of college and toured the country for 10 years while I was young enough to enjoy it, and at a time when the live music scene allowed one to make a living.

When it was time to raise a family, I went back to school and was able to concentrate because I was more mature, having already sowed my wild oats.

Moe
---
"FWIW, I believe all your shafts should be the same." - miden

http://www.hotrodmotm.com
Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: mate stubb] #2989615 05/14/19 11:45 PM
waygetter Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
hey, at least you made it to college! I didn't even make it out of high school. Similar to you, later on I went back to school, but not so sure about the maturity part.

Last edited by waygetter; 05/14/19 11:50 PM. Reason: adding some stuff

soundcloud.com/stream
Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: waygetter] #2989616 05/15/19 12:27 AM
ksoper Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I would've said yes more.

Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: ksoper] #2989617 05/15/19 12:50 AM
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: ksoper
I would've said yes more.

^^^^
THIS

And especially when I didn't know exactly what I was doing, or wasn't a monster in the style being covered. Cj Vanston's interview in Keyboard Mag, several years ago, was a real eye opener, again. It's basically stuff he suggested to me back in 1987, when I was working my way into the Chicago area scene. I didn't quite follow his guidance then cry. Fear is a powerful thing, but it's getting to be irritating AF..

"Someday, we will look back on these days and laugh. It may be a maniacal laugh from within the confines of our padded cells, but it will be a laugh nonetheless" - Mr. Boffo.

Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: allan_evett] #2989618 05/15/19 12:59 AM
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
There were a lot of bands I stayed in longer than I should have, because I didn't want to sever friendships, or just out of some sense of not wanting to be a quitter, hoping things would get better when the trend was clearly in the other direction. If I could do it again, I'd act in my own self interest much more.

Kind of pointless exercise, since I can't (do it again). But I guess there's the hope that someone reading this will have a lightbulb go on over their head.

Crumar Seven, Crumar Mojo 61, Korg Vox Continental, Yamaha CP73.

roccoromanucci.com
Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: ksoper] #2989619 05/15/19 01:09 AM
S
Sam CA Offline
S
I would probably learn more about sampling, Synths, Synth engines, Modular set ups, electronic music ...etc.

Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Sam CA] #2989626 05/15/19 01:57 AM
Randelph Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
I would take my music more seriously and be involved in more bands and theatre projects. As it was, I didn't have folks with awesome chops and motivation around me, and took my talent for granted.

When I do this life over I will learn to be that keyboardist/producer that can provide the spicy beats and soundscapes, and my prime motivation will be to bring together musicians, dancers, singers etc. together to express and enjoy.

It's funny I see this topic tonight, I had a bathtub insight tonight about my primary motivation around music being to bring folks together in a powerful way thru music.

NS 88 Classic / iRig Keys I/O 49 / iPad Syntronik, Galileo, Neo Soul Keys
Win10 laptop i7 8GB 500GB
Yamaha melodica, alto recorder / Congas
Roland Street Cube EX / QSC K10, K8.2 / SS V.3
Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Sam CA] #2989627 05/15/19 01:59 AM
R
retrokeys Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
R
Would have bought a Hammond first thing instead of fooling around with combo organs and trading up. Lost money that way. Would have kept up with lessons and learned some theory formally. All things considered though, if I had it to do over... I sure would.

Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: retrokeys] #2989628 05/15/19 02:13 AM
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Oh, and another thing, I'd sleep with more groupies. Not that we keyboardists get a lot of them, but there were opportunities I passed up. I thought I was taking the high road. What the hell was I thinking.

roccoromanucci.com
Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Adan] #2989630 05/15/19 02:35 AM
El Lobo Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I might have taken lessons ... and practiced. I'm self taught and only started playing keyboard in bands late in life. I played sax and guitar in bands all my life but only took up keys because the opportunity presented itself. Then again, if I had taken piano lessons when I was younger, I might never have ended up playing in rock and blues bands. Who knows?

What I really wish is that I had learned to play Hammond organ when I was young including playing the bass pedals. I'm always so impressed when I see somebody play that instrument.

Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: El Lobo] #2989631 05/15/19 04:15 AM
G
Groove58 Offline
G
I would take more lessons, do more practice, and waste less time with projects that aren't going anywhere and people who aren't pulling their weight.

Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Groove58] #2989636 05/15/19 08:03 AM
R
re Pete Offline
R
Trust my gut feeling and not trust those out for themselves.
Easier said than done.
Wish I had stuck with Bach more when I was younger. Didn't realise how important fingering was playing conterpoint personally. I do now and it's helped immensely. The Inventions, WTC etc will really help your technique.

Last edited by re Pete; 05/15/19 08:10 AM.
Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Groove58] #2989641 05/15/19 08:10 AM
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Like, I didn't learn more sight readng than primary school recorde lessons, high school self education with library books, and as early graduate plowing through conservatory sight reading course books. I know I should have practiced (what's wrong with spell-check ?!) more, but I don't think I care having to take something of an afternoon to read a page of complicated classical music. I know all the symbols and timing meanings, and yeah, it would be nice to just play some Brahms I never saw before, I don't really care about that.

I seriously think I might have liked it better to, in an early stage in the 80's, have bought a cool Prophet, instead of some of the Jap stuff.

Like now I regret not to live in San Fransisco, but that probably isn't in the department of "regret"...

T

Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Theo Verelst] #2989649 05/15/19 09:00 AM
G
Guven Ilter Offline
G
I would have dedicated all my available time to music and forget about professional office life. Yes, I might have had a hard time, but it would have been a much more meaningful life.

So many songs, so little time...
Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Adan] #2989653 05/15/19 09:22 AM
R
Rustar Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Adan
There were a lot of bands I stayed in longer than I should have, because I didn't want to sever friendships, or just out of some sense of not wanting to be a quitter, hoping things would get better when the trend was clearly in the other direction. If I could do it again, I'd act in my own self interest much more.

Kind of pointless exercise, since I can't (do it again). But I guess there's the hope that someone reading this will have a lightbulb go on over their head.

Wise indeed

Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Nord Electro 2, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.
Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: waygetter] #2989654 05/15/19 09:25 AM
ElmerJFudd Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: waygetter

Probably lots of things for me. Two jump out..

1) I would have kept up my sight reading chops. I stopped reading at a very young age. I regret not keeping that skill up.

2) I would have gone to college, learned a bit about business, before diving deep into music. I think I would have had a more satisfying and worthwhile experience.

Interesting topic, coming up a lot lately - directly related to how much we are earning and if we've managed to scratch out a life for ourselves.

Biggest fears have always been my hands, longevity and health. 10x more so since starting a family. Need to make sure everyone is cared for. Had wrist trouble for a bit from practicing classical rep on a DP and not adjusting well to it. Learned that lesson the hard way - thankfully recovered. This winter the trigger finger started giving me trouble. Need to stretch and warm up and cool down as I get closer to 50.

But because I played it safe, I can't complain - not wealthy by a long shot, but definitely in the lower middle class because I played it safe. I practiced a lot, learned to read well but that didn't stop me from playing by ear or improvising. I threw myself into a lot of playing situations and picked up lots of styles. And I did go to school - finished two degrees in music and got certified to teach. I probably work a lot more hours for less money than other fields with an MA - but I'm doing what I chose to do and working in my field of study. In a few weeks I'll take my 8 year old to Disney for the first time instead of getting a Montage or Kronos (or renovating a kitchen that has seen better days).
No regrets!
cheers

Live: Casio PX-560, Roland VR-700
Home: Rebuilt 1910 Chickering 5'2", Fender Rhodes MKI 88k, Yamaha S90ES
Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: ElmerJFudd] #2989656 05/15/19 10:18 AM
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I would have stayed away from certain musicians. I would have fired people on in my current band a lot earlier then I did. I don't have too much regret. I mean I would have like to be a better piano player but I always had martial arts on the side and the fact I am such a later bloomer.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: waygetter] #2989657 05/15/19 10:18 AM
Synthoid Offline
10k Club
10k Club

Yes.

I would choose a much lighter musical instrument. laugh

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.
Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: ElmerJFudd] #2989659 05/15/19 10:22 AM
montunoman Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
I should have done everything to develop my voice. There were so many opportunities like church and school choirs, and school/community musicals. When I young I simply did not have the inclination nor did realize how important it is for a musician to sing. I started singing as an adult and I can get by.... but I’m sure I’d be a much better singer if I had started really singing early in life.

Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: mate stubb] #2989661 05/15/19 10:27 AM
bourniplus Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Originally Posted By: mate stubb

This.
I think it's not only wasted, but counter-productive and unhealthy for the mind and body. There's only one way and it's forward! What really matters is what you're doing NOW to improve what you want to improve.

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."
My homemade instruments
Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: montunoman] #2989662 05/15/19 10:30 AM
montunoman Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Also let me add ear training. I wish also I had really dedicated much more time to it. I am a believer ( for the most part) that it’s never too late, so I do make it a point to do ear training every day now. My aural skills have gone from “really bad”
to “Ok” With more work I think I can keep on developing my ear to a high level. It’s a life long process I suppose.

Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: bourniplus] #2989664 05/15/19 10:32 AM
montunoman Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Originally Posted By: bourniplus
Originally Posted By: mate stubb

This.
I think it's not only wasted, but counter-productive and unhealthy for the mind and body. There's only one way and it's forward! What really matters is what you're doing NOW to improve what you want to improve.

+1

Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: montunoman] #2989665 05/15/19 10:35 AM
Synthoid Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Originally Posted By: montunoman
I am a believer

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.
Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Synthoid] #2989667 05/15/19 10:54 AM
S
Stokely Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
Learn to read, practice more...but I'm content with where I am as a keys player. I'm a good asset in a part-time non-pro band and like my non-music career.

I wish I'd gotten started sooner with singing. I really enjoy it and feel like I could have done it much more (maybe even lead) in my younger days.

I REALLY wish I'd stuck with guitar when I was younger, when it's so much easier to learn (and I had way more time). Having the versatility to play keys and guitar would be awesome and it's something I have always wanted to do (and still might, I'm working on it!)

Last edited by Stokely; 05/15/19 10:55 AM.
Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: waygetter] #2989668 05/15/19 11:00 AM
T
The Real MC Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
T
If I could do things again, I always wanted to be a lumberjack Python

Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: ElmerJFudd] #2989670 05/15/19 11:07 AM
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
In a few weeks I'll take my 8 year old to Disney for the first time instead of getting a Montage or Kronos (or renovating a kitchen that has seen better days).
No regrets!
cheers

So if you could do it over again, you'd get the Kronos. Got it!

roccoromanucci.com
Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: waygetter] #2989674 05/15/19 11:27 AM
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mandolin...probably a sign of my advancing age that weight and hassle are my utmost concerns.

Nord Stage 3 88, Korg Kronos 2 61, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2
www.stickmanor.com
There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman
Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Sam Mullins] #2989675 05/15/19 11:40 AM
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Used more hand cream when I was a young tyke along with serious piano study in my early teens instead of my early 20's . . . I stopped studying at about 9-10 after almost 3 years or so and played R & R from 13-21 actively....which BTW I wouldn't have traded for anything in life and a true Huck Finn experience for me in the late 60's though the mid 70's , so life is never simple to navigate.. keys But I'm a happy Campo now regardless.... no regrets what-so-ever...and glad to be playing and still growing musically at the ripe old age of 64 cheers

Last edited by Legatoboy; 05/15/19 04:12 PM.

SP6, CP-50, FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, XK-3, CX-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122
Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Adan] #2989676 05/15/19 11:42 AM
ElmerJFudd Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Adan
Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
In a few weeks I'll take my 8 year old to Disney for the first time instead of getting a Montage or Kronos (or renovating a kitchen that has seen better days).
No regrets!
cheers

So if you could do it over again, you'd get the Kronos. Got it!

facepalm laugh

Not at all, some gear is just window shopping material. Not gig necessary.
Different priorities at different times of life. wink

Live: Casio PX-560, Roland VR-700
Home: Rebuilt 1910 Chickering 5'2", Fender Rhodes MKI 88k, Yamaha S90ES
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner