Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond 8-Pin Leslie socket to Mini Vent.

I've physically went to crap the last year. Plan was to quit playing on 12/31/19. I don't know. Rumor chain kicked in and I got a call to play in a group that does music that is totally in my wheelhouse. My rig is a Kronos K2-88 and a XK-3c. If I do this I need a lighter rig. The local store has the MODX8 and I've kind of got the UI figured out.

I use a racked Mini Vent with an Ashby remote mod. The 11-pin cable has to send voltage to the organ to tell it there is a Leslie. I think I know the answer but, Do I need to send voltage to an 8 pin socket if I hook a new Hammond to my remote Mini Vent? Or can I just plug in one of the stock 8 pin to 2 phono plug cables without rigging up a wall wart power supply?

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh heck. The lightweight Hammonds don't work with my swell pedal. I guess I'm not married to getting a Hammond. Tried to contact Addison a year or two ago and no one returned my call. It's not like support is what it used to be anyway. The support from Addison used to be stellar. Once Ray even helped me with modding my old B3000.

The Numa still has 11 pins. Maybe that is worth a look... I could even bring my old XB2 out of mothballs but ..... No I don't want to do that plus it's in an Anvil case.

If it helps any, I'm using a Kurzweil expression pedal (10k linear pot) not only with my Kurzweil gear, but also with my Hammond SK1 - works fine.

I know that the Kurzweil pot does not wire the same as a Yamaha pedal - think that tip and ring are reversed, and sleeve stays where it was. (been a while since I modified some generic 25K pedals to 10K and Kurzweil wiring)

For some of my playing, I'm using either an iRig Keys 37 Pro (full size keys) or a Samson Carbon 61 into an iPad, using either Galileo or Module as Hammond/Leslie apps. (I also use one of the iPads at church hooked to my PC3 because I like the Leslie effect better). Soon going to go back to stereo at church - really richens up the Leslie.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

There are two cables that can go from the 8 pin Hammond Leslie socket. One is sold by Hammond and just separates the extra voices from the organ voices. It's readily available. The other cable,which I've only been able to find at Thomann,separates the organ voices from the extra voices and has a second 1/4 inch plug that goes into the Vent remote jack and controls speed. Just like your present setup,you can control Vent speed from the organ's speed/stop button and footswitch. I assume it also works to route audio and Vent speed control to the Vent on the XK1C awhich has no extra voices just organ. Neither SK or XK1C needs to see voltage like the XK3C does. BTW,the cable from Thomann runs a little over $100.00.

As for the pedal,I've been using a Roland EV5 on my SK and my XK3C and have been happy with it. Been using them since '88 and have never had a failure. I actually prefer it to the heavy Hammond pedal which I also have that's made for the XK3C. Some folks here dislike the EV5 but I like them.

I hope some of this helps and hope your health situation improves.

The issue I have with the EV5 is the sweep, if you are an organ player you'll find the sweep to be to short to be an effective "expression" pedal. The EV7 (which I own) does have a long sweep and is effective for organ playing. Unfortunately the EV7 is NLA, unless you find one used.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Thanks guys. My current pedal is the EXP-100f. It's sweet but does not work with any current lighter weight Hammond boards. From Hammond I'm looking at the XK1-c. The Numa looks interesting because it's 11 pin. Hammond makes a pedal EXP-50. It's just a normal pot pedal and $212. Dan bought one and had a lot of trouble with it. I have the 8 pin layout and could have my tech make a cable to run to the vent or just buy the Thomann cable. I will probably buy one or just get the Numa and use my old 11pin cable. I wish the Electro had an 11pin socket.

I used an XK1-C successfully with a Yamaha FC7 pedal. And I controlled my Vent from the multipin connector with a cable I wired myself.

Then I could control leslie speed from either a footswitch or the panel buttons. Slick setup.

Yup. That's exactly what the Thomann cable does. I just didn't trust myself to make my own so I ended up dropping a hundred bucks. Mate has skills.

Also,there are at least a couple of real "organ players" on this forum,myself included,who are ok with the EV5. I realize most here are not and that's fine with me. Just throwing out alternatives.

CEB, I've been eyeballing n XK1c/Vent and CP 73 as a lightweight rig after darn near hurting myself trying to sandwich one of my heftier rigs onto a tiny club "stage" last week.

I'm getting old and so many gigs these days are an every man for himself situation.