Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

I also tried the PX560 which I liked better perhaps somewhat due to 2x2 speakers vs. just 2
I believe the PX560 as a pair of 2-way speakers, I assumed the PX-S3000 would as well, but I suppose it could have a pair of full range speakers instead...?

When preferring the sound of the PX560, was that acoustic piano sounds, other sounds, or both?

Did you have any preference between the feel of the two actions?

I thought the actions were similar; I would say that given I didn't love the 1000/3000 Rhodes that the 560 ones were more interesting. (I will still have to go back and try these again).

I'm not as familar yet with comparisons between the two- are they intended to have the same acoustic piano sounds?

What I am concluding is that having 4 speakers can be important given less amplification.

Off topic, my P125 is 2x2 and I can hear the difference.

I am one of those who prefers just to turn on and play and not have to connect to external amps.

Although I've never considered a 560 due to the price it is defintely something to consider as well.

I didn't love the 1000/3000 Rhodes that the 560 ones were more interesting. (I will still have to go back and try these again).

Besides the stock EPs in the 560 (which I agree are pretty good), there are also a bunch of good optional EPs programmed by Dave Weiser which you can load into it (available for free download on the casio forum).

I'm not as familar yet with comparisons between the two- are they intended to have the same acoustic piano sounds?

No.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Well I have been tweaking the number 1 Grand piano sound on the Cassio S3000 and decided to play along with the Casio Jazz Trio ,so if you want to check it out go to Mike Lupinetti on you tube , I am playing through my EV ZXA1 speakers and the piano sound to me sounds pretty nice , I do not use any pedal in this song which I Call Grilled Cheese .

Well I have been tweaking the number 1 Grand piano sound on the Cassio S3000 and decided to play along with the Casio Jazz Trio ,so if you want to check it out go to Mike Lupinetti on you tube , I am playing through my EV ZXA1 speakers and the piano sound to me sounds pretty nice , I do not use any pedal in this song which I Call Grilled Cheese .

Here it is:

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/2bG9_RE1J80

But not sure why 'playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner'.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

Thanks Sam , I haven't disabled it maybe some one else did ,I am not very good with computers maybe I did it by accident but you were able to see it , hope you liked it .

Hi Mike, yes I liked it very much so.

It's a just YouTube setting that you probably checked/unchecked by accident. Only you or someone who has access to your YouTube account can change it.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

Here is the webinar from last week now transferred over to Youtube. We will be doing another one of these soon.

[video:youtube]

Hi Mike. I bought my first Casio keyboard (i.e., PX-S3000) last week and am very pleased. Thanks for the webinar. It was very helpful. Great job! Chock full of useful information, always interesting and on point, nice playing, nice use of various video views, and I liked your Yamaha joke :) I'm looking forward to downloading some cool patches from the Casio forum soon.

In the USA:

MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price):

PX-S1000: $ 899.99

PX-S3000: $ 1,099.99

Street Price (what retailers are actually selling these for):

PX-S1000: $ 599.99

PX-S3000: $ 799.99

The price for the S3000 in the title is even higher than the MSRP!! Whoever changed it should change it again to match reality so that readers don't decide to skip this topic based on pricing that's not even accurate.

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

In the USA:

MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price):

PX-S1000: $ 899.99

PX-S3000: $ 1,099.99

Street Price (what retailers are actually selling these for):

PX-S1000: $ 599.99

PX-S3000: $ 799.99

The price for the S3000 in the title is even higher than the MSRP!! Whoever changed it should change it again to match reality so that readers don't decide to skip this topic based on pricing that's not even accurate.

Refer back to the beginning, I believe that was in Canadian dollars or something - were all well aware of the US prices.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

Refer back to the beginning, I believe that was in Canadian dollars or something - were all well aware of the US prices.
That math doesn't work. $800 US = $1079 CAN. Fact is the prices were changed in the thread title. It originally said $600 for S1000 and $800 for S3000 and now says $900 and $1200. That's a 50% increase for the S1000 and a 33% increase for the S3000. And it's incorrect. It needs to be changed back.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

That math doesn't work. $800 US = $1079 CAN. Fact is the prices were changed in the thread title. It originally said $600 for S1000 and $800 for S3000 and now says $900 and $1200. That's a 50% increase for the S1000 and a 33% increase for the S3000. And it's incorrect. It needs to be changed back.

+1

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

. . . And it's incorrect. It needs to be changed back.

Better alert the authorities, this egregious act cannot go unpunished!

Wait - New Zealand dollars, perhaps? :crazy:

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

Hi Mike. I bought my first Casio keyboard (i.e., PX-S3000) last week and am very pleased. Thanks for the webinar. It was very helpful. Great job! Chock full of useful information, always interesting and on point, nice playing, nice use of various video views, and I liked your Yamaha joke :) I'm looking forward to downloading some cool patches from the Casio forum soon. I'm half way into the webinar just to hear the Yamaha joke. I don't know if I missed it... Go Casio!

Better alert the authorities, this egregious act cannot go unpunished!

Wait - New Zealand dollars, perhaps? :crazy:

Klingon dollars. Fire the photon torpedoes.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I finally got to spend some quality time with the S1000. They didn't have the S3000 yet.

I went to play it simply to get a feel for the board's feel, and not an in-depth audition of the tones.

Remember, I have owned a PX-5S for several years now. My infamous red one.

It is the 88 note controller in my Mainstage/Gig Performer rig.

I don't really use the internal sounds, but it's nice to have the piano tones as backup in case of Computer FUBAR, which has not happened.

I love the PX5S. The keys have a great feel. I really like the surface of the keys. I get along with them just fine, regardless of pivot points, etc.

Okay, that's out of the way:

The PX-S1000 I played was on a solid table type stand. It had the supplied Casio sustain square.

I brought my IEM's with me...nice to have the headphone jack on the front.

My very first impression sitting down and running a few scales from low to high: WOW!

My subjective opinion is that the keybed is an improvement to that of my PX-5S.

There's a solid feeling to them. Most of us who use the PX-5S know the keys can have some sideways movement in them.

Not so in the S1000. The keys are stable.

One thing I liked when I used my old PX350 on stage, was the built in speakers caused enough vibration that, for me, made the finger to ear connection even better, just like playing my Steinway. I could "feel" the piano sounds.

I had already read the manual, so I enabled Speaker OUT so they would play even with my ears plugged in.

Yep, same feeling I liked previously.

I did not spend a lot of time with the various tones. I did run thru the piano tones.

The default Grand, and the Rock Piano were my favorites. I ran thru the back half of Scenes from and Italian Restaurant (piano solo thru "Brenda and Eddie" using rock piano.)

Sounded great.

All in all, my take away: Not just for the price, but for the weight and build, Casio has a winner here. It just felt really, really good, and much better, to me, than my PX-5S, which isn't bad at all.

They had a new PX5S there, so I would go to it now and then, to make sure I wasn't imagining things while comparing.

Last comparisons. I sat down at a new Yamaha CP88, and a Korg Kronos 88.

Great boards. However, they reminded me how much I like the Ivory Feel keys on my PX-5S and my old FA-08. The Yamaha and Korg keys, while wonderfully playable, felt artificially plastic to me. Again, subjective. If someone was to gift me a Kronos 88, I'd take it.

I spent a good hour just playing the S1000 ....after a while I turned the speakers back off to not annoy others with my noodling.

Based on my demo of the keybed itself, I have ordered an S3000 (from this store). It will be here Friday. Can't beat the price, and the extra sounds is a bonus.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I won't be able to test these boards yet hence the local dealer won't have them available till the end of this month or so. BUT i am going to test the Vivo S9 today.

I can't help but stop on this comment i heard on a Youtube video: "The action on the new privias is better than keyboards with 3-4 times the price".

So my question is: Is it better then the S9 keybed for example? I know i'll have my answer once i test both...but i'm just really curious.

Thanks guys for the reviews and video - makes it all more frustrating as UK delivery for the px s3000 has now been pushed back to 8 June.

I've got one on order and was hoping to have it for the bank holiday weekend at the end of May when I've got several gigs lined up. Will have to wait now.

Interesting comments by Jeremy See on his review video; I've currently got a Yamaha P120 and have very rarely gone into the function menus to change anything as I would need the manual on a gig! At least Casio allow you to assign useful functions to the knobs that allows immediate access to tweak - just have to save your own registrations in advance of gigs.

Roll on early June - unless Mike Martin can speed delivery up for me!!!!

Dave

Dave, it'll be worth waiting for, I promise! Very happy with my S1000. Incidentally, which of the 'small islands' are you on? :)

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

The titles got changed on 25 March (by Jazz+? It's his post where it changed), but the overall thread title is still correct and as long as people reply to this post and those replies, the price in the "title" will remain correct.

You can always change the Subject on the Full Reply Form...

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Based on my demo of the keybed itself, I have ordered an S3000 (from this store). It will be here Friday. Can't beat the price, and the extra sounds is a bonus.

What color have you chosen for it? :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

What color have you chosen for it? :)

Bright Lime Green

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I changed it in January.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."