Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Freedman Motor City Drive

I pulled the trigger on a Freedman Motor City Drive pedal the other day. It came on Saturday morning Fedex. I just tried it out and it is a decent overdrive pedal. I still like the Nady TD1's I had as the best ones ever for my taste, but this new pedal comes close. It will go in my road pedal board within the next few days and we shall see what it sounds like in the full lineup of pedals. I do use a digital reverb pedal in the road board as well as some other stuff and I was too lazy to hook that all up for today as it will take some doing to put it in the pedal board.

www.amazon.com/Friedman-Amplification-Powered-Overdrive-Effects/dp/B06ZYDMJLZ

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That certainly looks to be a cool pedal. Particularly cool that it will respond well and noticeably different with various tubes swapped in and out, unlike many tube-equipped pedals.

I'd bet you're going to be very pleased with this pedal, Dave, and I can easily imagine this being a good go-to for your rhythm tones, and then switching to your beloved old Nady TD-1 for fuller, fatter, darker lead-tones...

In videos, it seems a bit more open and uncompressed than my tube/SS-hybrid Radial Tonebone Plexitube, and its Drive control seems to have a more useful range of clearer to more gainfully employed overdrive and distortion; the gain on my Plexitube goes from already quite driven and compressed to more compressed and driven with little real variation from low to high.

Pete Thorn sure makes it sound good (even on bass):

_____________ [video:youtube]

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

@ Caev, I like it quite a bit. The EQ's work well. it is a bit grainier than the Nady's but only slightly so. And that may because I sent it straight into the amp without any reverb. I always play with a slight reverb on both clean and overdrive tones. That seems to smooth out the grain so we shall see. In the next few days I will install it in the road pedal board. Tomorrow I will play it straight into the Hot Rod Deluxe which has on board verb. That will tell me whether to install it in the board, or keep it just for the HRD with the on board verb.

If it goes into my road board the Motor City Drive will see little to no use unless I am out on the road visiting friends. I also have a house pedal board which gets daily use. That has the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic which I have tweaked to suit my taste. If I do set up my studio again, the road board will be used for recording purposes frequently as the studio is in a shed outside (climate controlled shed that is).

Thanks to the other responders for their comments as well.

I like it, it is now in my road pedal board, the verb pedal smoothed it out a small amount. I still like The Seymour Duncan Twin Tube better than that and better than the Nady TD1. It is way smoother than both. However the Friedman Motor City Drive sounds good enough and maybe I will ask the folks at Eurotubes what kind of 12AX7 tube might smooth out the thing, but for now it seems to work well enough.

I like it, it is now in my road pedal board, the verb pedal smoothed it out a small amount. I still like The Seymour Duncan Twin Tube better than that and better than the Nady TD1. It is way smoother than both. However the Friedman Motor City Drive sounds good enough and maybe I will ask the folks at Eurotubes what kind of 12AX7 tube might smooth out the thing, but for now it seems to work well enough.

Alright, then why don't you have a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _