Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

if Music is your 1A Passion, what is 1B ?

1A Music

1B Martial Arts

1C Cycling

Music takes a lot of time. Hope to be out after December. Music then should drop to C. What usually happens is cycling jumps to A. Life is a time allocation problem.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I put all my eggs in the music basket a long time ago... although I very nearly went into political science in college.

I used to blog and write for a couple of magazines and I'm tempted to get back into it (covering music, of course). It's been a long time since I read for leisure but I'm starting to get back into it now.

I appreciate good food, good coffee, good beer. Life's too short. I'm not a fantastic cook myself, I'd like to improve, but I'm always on the lookout for good restaurants or joining my friends who are great cooks for a meal.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Was motorcycling most of my life, but had to quit due to occasional bouts of vertigo, now satisfy the open road urge on four wheels with a roadster. Also water skiing, specifically barefoot, but had to quit strenuous activities due to heart issues currently being addressed. Hope to resume soon! Im a recovering adrenaline junkie.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

1B- my pets. I have 2 great dogs, an American Bulldog and a Great Dane, and 5 fish tanks (2-125g, 1-60g, 1-46g, 1-20g).

1B1= cooking and eating hot and spicy stuff.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

very cool to read that. we have a similar dry climate by the Delta. All of out fruit trees, succulents, bushes, flowers, vines , ground cover are native to our region.

Wife and I sit in our back yard, drinking coffee, admiring the growth. Our yard is like an evolving palette for an artist.

we also have an active bird population that I encourage with bird feed/humming bird feeder.

Love it. Just read up on Discovery Bay. Have never been to that exact part of the East Bay and had no idea about the complex delta geography around that area.

FYI, wife is from San Diego. Mother in Law has fancy home on Mt Soledad.

cool you checked out our little town. DB has a small town vibe- we are surrounded by agriculture [ lots of cherries, fruit, etc] on 1 side, and the many fingers of the Delta on another side. DB is like an oasis[ssshhhhh].

There are no big box shopping stores, no freeway exits. We have zero water problems even in drought. So the swarms of home buyers flock to neighboring Brentwood.

The neighboring fields are all zoned for green belt. No 5 story townhouses or outlet shopping malls will ever be built there.

I can ride my bike all over town and not see 500 cars racing around.

No music scene other than country- typical of the valley. This is not the area for the symphony or opera crowd. So that's 1 trade off.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

1B: Raising money for 1A. :cheers:

1C: Working on my retrospective of all films including Tom Waits, from "Bearskin: An Urban Fairytale" to Robert Redford's professed last acting role in "The Old Man and The Gun."

1D: Laboring to understand at least 30% of what Theo is talking about. :idk :D

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

1) Music

2) Music

and then when I'm not working...

3) More music

What a healthy life style!

you definitely have good focus ;)

[70's Songwriter]

1B- my pets. I have 2 great dogs, an American Bulldog and a Great Dane, and 5 fish tanks (2-125g, 1-60g, 1-46g, 1-20g).

1B1= cooking and eating hot and spicy stuff.

I am developing a 1D. D for diet planning.

I have changed my diet the past few months. Lets say 'vegan lite'.

IOW, no meat. No chicken. I have substituted veggie based protein burgers etc.

Veggie and grain based beef. They are very good.

No bread , pasta, little to no carbs. Substituted soy/tofu based noodles and grainy stuff. Heavy carbs turn into sugar which creates obesity.

No sugary desserts, no ice cream and no cheese either. I substituted greek yogurt

plus fresh fruit. Veggie based cheese is very good.

I did a full blood work up. all my vitals are normal and knocked down my cholesterol significantly. That is the payback for me as I was fighting borderline high cholesterol.

[70's Songwriter]

Cooking. Looking through photos of what Ive made in the past year (partial list):

Falafel crusted halibut with lemon tahini yogurt sauce

Rye bread

Sourdough bread

Cannoli filled crepes

Roast duck with port and dried cherry sauce

Molten chocolate cakes with homemade vanilla ice cream

12 hr smoked beef brisket

Dark chocolate & hazelnut biscotti

English muffins from scratch

Cinnamon swirl bread

Ciabatta rolls

Citrus marinated smoked turkey breast

Profiteroles

Potato knishes

Mediterranean fish stew with fried chick peas

Mushroom barley soup

Butternut squash and Granny Smith apple soup

Cheese ravioli made with fresh pasta

Beef and butternut squash chili

Osso buco with barley risotto

Brussels sprout salad with almonds, pecorino, grated hard boiled eggs, and lemon vinaigrette

Fruit, seed, and nut crackers (dried apples, currents, almonds, sunflower seeds)

All made Kosher.

1A music. Three thriving bands, plus some personal composition stuff. Total brain food. I bring decent game. Happy for the most part.

1B intellectual stimulation in crazy dimensions. Don't ask, super OT. Intelligence comes with a price, you need to feed the beast. Internet is wonderful in this regard.

IC wife, kids and extended family. This stuff matters to me greatly, and it's all good. Totally dialed in. Never, ever going to give this up. And dogs, right?

!D being outrageously healthy. Also matters a lot more as you age.

1E s*x Yup, it's big in my world. Never gets old. And I'm happily married, so no creepy insinuations, please.

Works for me. Your mileage may vary.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

1B - reading, especially literature, which I guess is related to my day job, teaching. My goal is to read as many of the world classics as possible - completely unattainable, but what a joy trying. Right now working my way through the Russian masters (Dostoevsky, Chekhov, Tolstoy etc.). As someone said earlier, time's the enemy, man!

1C - running. Have just started again, very tentatively, having been off the road for 5 months due to a persistent ankle injury. Frustrating as hell, and soooooo happy to be getting out there again.

1D - road trips particularly, and travelling generally. More a luxury (time wise) than anything else, this never fails to put my tiny footprint in our universe firmly in perspective, and to remind me what a lucky sonofagun I am.

1A: Music

1B: Restoring classic cars.

Music has always been with me since I was a child. Cars since 3rd grade and now a business for the last 42 years. ~BOB

I'm practicing so that people can maybe go "wow" at an imaginary gig I'll never play. -Nadroj

Yeah well, I don't know about that 1A and 1B and so on, I used to be in class 1A in highschool, and maybe my favorite darling was in 1B, is that what we're talking about here, huh ?

I don't necessarily feel passionate about music, at times, sure, but that emotional dimension is more about a private idea than making public music, I think.

Feeling strong about a big subject that for me has at times been everything but forked: computer graphics. I graduated in them, or better put in machines and software that can do them fast. Direct competition with music, and maybe even harder get popular with, unless you're Pixar. Great fun though to take a major screen, a potent computer, and make graphical scenes that are appealing in their aesthetics and technically well done is an interesting challenge!

T

Music is #1, #2 movies but that include music since I'm into film composing and sound design. #3 taking care of my health going to gym and attempting to diet. There is a #4 computers being my day gig was programing, sysadmin, and audio editing and mastering, music creeps into computers for me too.

1A would be playing, writing, and listening to music.

1B would be collecting stuff.

1C would be watching wild (not stray or feral) animals (birds and bugs) and nature.

1D would be Pokémon and Super Mario games and the like.

1E would be shopping.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

1A is tied between music and working out/running. As someone with high functioning autism (Aspergers) I enjoy them both.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

1A music

1B sleeping

In terms of number of hours I spend each day in an activity (or lack thereof), I'd have to put sleeping way ahead of music ... and almost everything else except breathing. Probably sitting at my laptop emailing, working, posting on this and other forums, and other social media comes next after sleeping. Music is only a few hours a day at best. But my 1A passion is music, followed by activism.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Probably amateur naturalist: I really like looking at trees and vegetation and stuff.

And to the extent it's possible, observing natural fauna.

Other than that?

Yeah, I'd say I like watching women play beach volleyball, but I'm just growing old. Hey Nineteen.

My passions evolve and change over time. After family, right now, music is 1C. 1B is boating & fishing, mainly off the Marin coast. Exhilarating, peaceful, challenging and great fun, all at the same time. I follow all the rules and only keep what I plan to eat. If anyone happens to be in the Bay Area and wants to go fishing, hit me up. Here are a few recent pics.

marin-coast-trolling2-1.jpg

marin-coast-salmon2-1.jpg

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

1A Kids/family

1B Piano/Music

1C Algorithm and Signal Processing R&D

1D Cooking for the family

1E Hobbies (Ham Radio / Photoography/ Self Education)

1F Church / Philosophy / Meaning of Life

1G Politics / Current Events

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

My wife and sons will forever be 1a.

Music isn't even in the same country.

I suppose my o/p ws not explicit enough. Of course, family comes first.

I don't see choices as being ' zero sum '.

The 1A and 1B approach suggests passions are very close.

[70's Songwriter]

Hammond Organs

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800