Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Things to look for in piano lessons

I finally found a (jazz)pianist that I'm willing to take lessons from, and I never got lessons besides music school when I was a kid. So I have a very limited understanding of how should it look like.

Any advices on what to pay more attention / ask the teacher?

I'm planning to record it anyways, but what would bring more efficiency to it?

if you can't tell the difference, does it matter?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure the teacher is interested in your development. Make sure they know their stuff. Ask around to former or current students and what they think. It has to be a good fit.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Is he paying attention to technique and how you hold your hands, shape your finishers and wrists? Building strength to accomplish playing? Is he picking stuff to work on that is easy, moderate and challenging? Are you getting answers to your questions? Learning ways to voice chords and progressions, getting ideas on how to improvise a melody over them?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I've had a lot of teachers over the years in music school and out on bass and guitar. But now I'm retired and decided to finally learn piano. So for me it's about finding someone I can get along with and more important understands my music and goals. I don't have a lot of choice where I live these days because Jazz is my thing and have studied and played it for decades on guitar and bass.

I've tried the typical piano teacher using one of the three or four classical method series and that just did not work for me. They tried to supplement a little with standard for tune. I finally got frustrated and the best lesson was one I took control of the lesson and made them explain concepts and things instead of the "just do this", or that isn't right play it again and again. I did have fun when I'd make a finger flub and name theoretically what I changed the music to, they weren't as amused. So we parted ways for awhile. I was going to try again, but after talking with them asking if we could some different materials it ended with them wanting to just do the same stuff again so I decided not to start again.

I have have found someone that is a bit of a drive, but from watching their Youtubes seem like would be a good match up. I contacted them and we talked a bit and my predicament that musically I'm very experienced, but on piano mechanically a total beginner. So going to try a few lessons with them to see how things go.

So I would say from experience figure out what you want to learn, what your goals short and long term are, and ask them a lot of questions. I see a lot of people get a teacher and are afraid to ask questions or express when they don't think things are going well. Sad for both teacher and student they quit and a little communication would of helped change things a bit and both would still be happy.

Think of finding a teacher like a job interview, teacher will have questions and want some background, but you need to have questions and express what you're hoping for. And if not working for you don't be afraid to say so and move on if necessary there are lots of teachers and they all teach a bit differently.

For me, YMMV, I approached piano like learning a sport, and I am good a learning because I am good at drilling. They say practice makes perfect, but this is only true if you practice the right stuff. This is where I needed a teacher, what should I practice?

Backing up to what some others have said, you have to know where you want to go. I wanted to be able to perform live contemporary songs, either with a band or solo. This was my goal. At about 2 hours a day practice, I was able to perform with my band after about 1 year. At 2 years I was able to play well with my band. At 3 year I was able to play and sing and the same time. At 4 years I was able to sing lead and play. Now at 7 years I can sit down at an accoustic piano and entertain solo for a couple of hours.

So what did I need to practice? My practice regimen was several pronged approach.

1) Basics - scales, chords, arpeggios, pentatonics, chord progressions, riff, syncopated left hand right hand drills. etc.

2) Listening to songs and trying to play along

3) Transcribing songs and performing.

It was the #1 that I needed help with. How and what should I practice. Now a lot of people on this forum have said that they didn't see the value of drilling. But my definition of drills are patterns that regularly recur in modern music whether it be jazz or blues.

Before you whip out some awesome solo or comp behind your vocals with a cool pattern, you need to drill these abilities into your hands. These drills should be things you will use in your playing. At first these drills may be more basic. As you move up the food change the drills may be actual portions of songs, like playing a funky left hand herbie hancock base line while soloing with your right hand, or practicing different ways to arpeggiate chords based upon a billy joel, she's always a women to me.

My point with the drilling is the skill needs to becomes second nature. Practicing should be done to a metronome. Practicing should be transcribed to many other keys if not all keys, so the structure of what is being playing is understood. Then practice should be varied, as different practicing can support the learning of other items, jumping from one drill to another, then playing songs. All improvement is Global.

I find the process of taking a drill that is awkward and not doable to the stage where the skill, riff / pattern becomes automatic and subconscious to be fascinating and rewarding.

This then falls back on what to practice. This is where the teacher comes in. I have always looked for a teacher that has live performance chops and comes from the Berklee Music School / Jazz live performance school of thought. If they are just a sight read notes off a page, I would be out of there in a quick minute.

Good luck in a search. It is all about finding the right match. So a little soul searching on what you want to learn and HOW you want to learn will help you find the right teacher. Then it is just an interview process.

Yamaha S90XS, Studiologic VMk-161 Organ

Small/powerful (i7, 32GB, M.2 SSD) PC controlled by 10" Touch Screen

Cantabile, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, OPX-II, Omnisphere 2, VB3, Chris Hein Horns, etc.

Thank you for advices guys. I think I'll make a list of things we need to discuss at the first lesson, so not to forget anything.

@Outkaster I think this teacher won' t really be 'interested' in my development unfortunately, as I've seen how she acts in public and with her husband especially. Often not a pleasant show, she's not that kind of a person (hope I'm wrong, maybe she just wasn't in the mood).

On a good side I am a demanding person when it comes to teaching, so hope we'll get along and everyone will get what they want.

@CaptainUnderpant I think me and 'after about 1 year'-you are somewhat similar. Right now I'm struggling with where to put my 2-3 hours a day when practicing, it's one of the main reasons I decided to get a teacher. I think a good musician will have to teach himself eventually (agreeing on this with one pianist who I heard it from), and hope these lessons will guide me on that path.

if you can't tell the difference, does it matter?