Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

if Music is your 1A Passion, what is 1B ?

My 1B is a tie. Will be fun to see your 1B, if you can digress from any music related 1B.

And feel free to expand on your 1A. Thanks !

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1A=Music

1B= Drag Racing (as in I'm the driver) 1/4mi NHRA

1B(1)=Flying (as in I'm the pilot)Single and Multi rated with Instrument rating

I need a GoFundMe to buy a King Air so I can fly myself and my gear to out of town gigs. I mean if Bruce can do it with Iron Maiden.... :D

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

1A=Music

1B= Drag Racing (as in I'm the driver) 1/4mi NHRA

1B(1)=Flying (as in I'm the pilot)Single and Multi rated with Instrument rating

I need a GoFundMe to buy a King Air so I can fly myself and my gear to out of town gigs. I mean if Bruce can do it with Iron Maiden.... :D

:lol: impressive and funny.

my 1B/1C is boring. I enjoy gardening immensely . Wife and I have built an impressive yard from nothing[ugly clay clumps] of 3 years ago.

She picks the plants/trees and I dig the holes ;) Today, I am planting a honey crisp apple tree and several tomato plants - hope they grow crazy this year.

My 1C is typical outdoor stuff, running and biking. I have a goal to get into kayaking . We live a stones throw from California's Delta. Ideal for outdoor activities.

[70's Songwriter]

Music is my life, just about everything else can feel like an intrusion. That's not healthy and has caused issues in relationships.

I'm a bit fanatical when comes to practicing, and I get a bit anxious when I can't practice. My wife and I are going on vacation to Europe for 6 weeks, and I'm considering not bringing a keyboard! Yes, even on vacations I always bring a keyboard. I'll probably bring my harmonica though, and I have my ipad loaded with ear training and other music apps.

But if I had to pick my"1B" passion it would be Spanish. I learned it later in life, and I'm now fluent. I learned Spanish because I fell in love with Latin music (and women) .

My drum teacher who taught so much about Latin music started sending me out to Latin club gigs to sub for him. That's what inspired me to learn the language.

Now, I'm trying to learn French, and I'm pretty disciplined about spending at least 20 minutes everyday (mostly on Duo Lingo) I enjoy the language learning process, and have several other languages that I'd like to dabble in.

1B used to be motorcycles. After decades of that, I recently gave it up and switched to bicycling. I bicycled before of course, but I've upped my game. No regrets, bicycling is fun and healthy, as long as no one runs you over.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

My 1B is native plant gardening in Southern California. It's my wife's family business and I have been indoctrinated and fallen in love with it. There is a sore lack of awareness about natives in So Cal and it's much better for water consumption / habitat for wildlife, and just beautiful. Will post pics when I can.

Gardening also is an amazing therapeutic activity and gives me a great chance to listen to podcasts.

My 1C is probably following my baseball team which kind of dovetails with part of my job anyway.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

My 1B is native plant gardening in Southern California. It's my wife's family business and I have been indoctrinated and fallen in love with it. There is a sore lack of awareness about natives in So Cal and it's much better for water consumption / habitat for wildlife, and just beautiful. Will post pics when I can.

Gardening also is an amazing therapeutic activity and gives me a great chance to listen to podcasts.

My 1C is probably following my baseball team which kind of dovetails with part of my job anyway.

very cool to read that. we have a similar dry climate by the Delta. All of out fruit trees, succulents, bushes, flowers, vines , ground cover are native to our region.

Wife and I sit in our back yard, drinking coffee, admiring the growth. Our yard is like an evolving palette for an artist.

we also have an active bird population that I encourage with bird feed/humming bird feeder.

[70's Songwriter]

1B used to be motorcycles. After decades of that, I recently gave it up and switched to bicycling. I bicycled before of course, but I've upped my game. No regrets, bicycling is fun and healthy, as long as no one runs you over.

I make good use of my mountain bike. I lived close to the Embarcadero some years ago, and I biked from there to the GGB.

I also like to bike around Angel Island. I make a few trips there per year and ride the ferry from Tiburon. Great photos.

[70's Songwriter]

So when you're not serenading Padres fans, you're helping preserve the natural SoCal environs. I'll gladly trade lives (but not wives!) with you for a week, as long as long as you've got a couple Pads' gigs scheduled.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Well, not in order of priority obviously, but my "If not X then Y, and if not Y then X," equation is true where X = music and Y = my kids, and sometimes both are true simultaneously.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

In no order behind music

Bad golf, ( but I usually break 100 ) mediocre bowling ( just started last year)

and a revived interest from my younger days of building a Model Railroad. Seems to be a connection between musicians and trains. Sinatra, Neil Young, and Rod Stewart are a few noted modelers. Also my private piano teacher when i was a kid was an engineer on the PRR because he never wanted music as a full time job. He and his son also had a Model RR at his home.

I also am a cyclist (no prior motorcycle experience, though). I wear a bright yellow-green jersey for maximum visibility.

1A=Music

1B=Film/Art *OR* Travel/Outdoors Activity(hikeing/camping/skiing/ light jogging) (tie)

(I worked in the Film Business and later video for about 2 years at General Camera, the 'Panavision' distributor and rental outlet for the film business in NYC (my neighbor was the cameraman for 'On the Water Front' and got me in (non-union job) with my College CAS degree but you cannot compete with mob bosses nephews or ambassador's son's for gigs w/$ like that and get in the union unless directly connected ..truly the big time even for cameramen and techs -400K plus in 80's dollars for a lowly 24 year old 2nd Assistant cameramen for the lucky connected ones only)

Art is big in my family...my Dad's ink formula is on the 5 and 10 Dollar Bills/Treasury Bills and my brother is in Graphic Arts...

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

For me that would be other art, especially modern illustrators. I'm terrible at drawing, but I make good use of Instagram as an app for watching my favorite artists draw/make new things.
if you can't tell the difference, does it matter?

Hmmm, obviously music is at the top, then there are a few that are pretty even:

Speakers/Electronics - I don't get to spend much time on this any more, but I used to design, prototype, and build various circuits including things like VCF's, Active Crossovers, EQs, etc. Early on, I build a lot of my own stuff for PA. Along the same lines, I like designing and building speakers and the crossovers that go with them. Haven't done it for a while but at one point in a previous band, the subwoofers and all of the wedge monitors on stage were built by me.

Industrial Process Control and Instrumentation - this is my day job that I've done my whole career. So any kind of instrumentation for measurement and control of Process Fluids, gas, steam, etc including control algorithms for blending, batching, etc.

Outdoor Activities - primarily camping, fishing, canoeing, rafting, hiking, horseback riding, etc. Lots to do around MO, but my last few vacations with the kids have been to NM, CO, and the badlands in SD, focusing on outdoor activities at each of them.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

1A is music and everything related to instruments, building, modifying...

1B and 1C are far behind and would probably be homebrewing and chess.

20 years ago in junior college I remember about having to answer a similar question in class, and I gave the same answers.

The thing that's changed in my homebrewing is that instead of using cheap kits, I now use my own fruit that I grow on my piece of land (that was just a dream back then).

Chess come and go in my life but I've been pretty severely addicted for the last year. (about 9000 games during that time :crazy: )

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

Music is A1, A2 and A3, and all the rest is a tie.

Skipping the usual things like reading, movies, traveling etc., and the most serious like love and friendship...

- Motor racing has attracted me since I was a kid. I did a couple of seasons as a Kart driver at about 15, and today I follow the most important championships a little bit.

- I have an inclination for word games/puzzles, especially anagrams, and, um, I don't even know the English names for some of the linguistic distortions I like to try myself at... like, composing a text with all words starting with a single letter, perhaps even in rhyme, or other silly things like these. I do 'anagram poems' for my friends' birthdays, etc. Quite nerdy, I know...

- I imagine that doing Photoshop montages, caricatures and such would not be considered very original, but that's what I did for quite a few years, just for my and my friends' amusement. I'm now starting to learn video editing... but I guess I'd need a new computer for any serious work.

- I have a definite inclination for teaching; I just like to find the right communication channels to transmit things to different people. And that's a good thing, because that's how I earn a good part of my (meager) supper these days.

- About 12 years ago, I started to discover standup comedy; a genre pratically unknown in Italy, and I had never realized how huge it was on anglo-saxon countries. I started from Hicks and Carlin, and went from there. I ended up having maybe a couple hundred recorded shows from various comedians; unfortunately, I have lost many of them a few years ago in an hard disk crash. Btw, to fully understand some of them, I still needed subtitles where available.

Here's a story: I happen to love Steven Wright. His kind of humour is really unique, at least for us Latin types (but I suspect in general too). A couple of years ago, in the attempt to spread his work a bit more in my country, I translated and subtitled a few of his TV interventions - and if you know the way he speaks, you can believe me if I say it was a nightmare!

But - my understanding of spoken English got about 600% better in the process. :)

- I imagine that synth programming/sound design doesn't count in this context... :D

I happen to love Steven Wright. His kind of humour is really unique, at least for us Latin types (but I suspect in general too). A couple of years ago, in the attempt to spread his work a bit more in my country, I translated and subtitled a few of his TV interventions - and if you know the way he speaks, you can believe me if I say it was a nightmare!

But - my understanding of spoken English got about 600% better in the process. :)

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time". So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Here's one of the four videos that I have subtitled. To me, it includes some of his wildest lines!

[video:youtube]

I suppose you know this... Steven won an Oscar for Best Short Film in '89 with this movie. "Very" '80s, btw.

[video:youtube]

So when you're not serenading Padres fans, you're helping preserve the natural SoCal environs. I'll gladly trade lives (but not wives!) with you for a week, as long as long as you've got a couple Pads' gigs scheduled.

Will consider it. Would love to live in Nor Cal one day.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

very cool to read that. we have a similar dry climate by the Delta. All of out fruit trees, succulents, bushes, flowers, vines , ground cover are native to our region.

Wife and I sit in our back yard, drinking coffee, admiring the growth. Our yard is like an evolving palette for an artist.

we also have an active bird population that I encourage with bird feed/humming bird feeder.

Love it. Just read up on Discovery Bay. Have never been to that exact part of the East Bay and had no idea about the complex delta geography around that area.

Alpine Skiing, although living in The Netherlands (quite flat here...) leaves me to two or three times per year of doing this...

Cycling, but don't have enough time to really make the kilometers I want...

Movies.

Rudy