Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Novation Hybrid Synth - Summit @ Superbooth

2200 EU

16 voices digital/analog hybrid, bi-timbral modes, 60 wavetables, multimode filters, and then tons and tons of onboard controls four dedicated LFOs right on the front panel.

3 oscillators per voice

FM synthesis

An arpeggiator with pattern and chord modes

A 61-key keyboard with conventional pitch and mod wheels

Stereo outputs (or 4x mono)

Link to oversized photo:

http://cdm.link/app/uploads/2019/05/novation_summit-1024x576.jpg

http://cdm.link/2019/05/novations-super-synth-for-superbooth-leaks-16-voice-summit/

https://www.gearnews.com/leak-novation-summit-16-voice-polyphonic-synthesizer-to-hit-superbooth-2019/

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Im not sure yet on the action.

2200 euro. Way less than the Waldorf and the Prophet X/XL.

Hard to beat Korg on price though. Their Prologue in 16 and 8 voice is tempting.

I knew Novation was going to do something like this. The Peak is bloody awesome.

Im not sure yet on the action...

I hope it's what they used in the supernova. That action was tasty.

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Peak is a beast....if this is ANYthing like that, I'm in. And while I've never gotten my hand on a Supernova II, the keybed in the Ultranova is better than the keybeds in $1500 synths. Here's hopin....
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Peak is a beast....if this is ANYthing like that, I'm in. And while I've never gotten my hand on a Supernova II, the keybed in the Ultranova is better than the keybeds in $1500 synths. Here's hopin....

Peak IS a beast...

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

Closer look at the build.

31405_42.jpg

Copy from Novation,

With its multitimbral architecture and 16 voices of polyphony, Summit is like two Peaks in one instrument, enabling two completely independent patches to be split or layered across the keyboard, or switched between on the fly. But that's by no means the end of the story: the addition of dual filters, greatly extended front panel controls, audio input and, of course, the same premium-quality five-octave keyboard introduced with our SL MkIII MIDI controller, put Summit in a creative league of its own.

At the heart of Summit is the digital New Oxford Oscillator, three of which are employed by every one of its 16 voices. Theyre hosted on the FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) chip, which not only helps to generate authentic analogue waveforms at incredibly high resolution (24MHz), but also facilitates FM and wavetable synthesis for rich, complex and highly textural raw tones.

The FPGA feeds into a true stereo analogue signal path, comprising dual 12dB/octave filters (switchable between six paired combinations of low-pass, high-pass and band-pass modes), analogue VCAs and three stages of distortion (pre- and post-filter, and post-VCA). Its the union of flawless analogue-emulating oscillators with genuine analogue filtering and saturation that make Summit sound so fabulously warm and fat.

Summit also boasts a wealth of modulation sources and assignment options, three stunning effects, audio input for routing external sources into those effects (while still using the other multitimbral part as a synth), and an auxiliary output. And the front panel expands greatly on Peaks layout with the addition of dedicated controls for FM, all LFOs, effects and more.

Quite simply the best sounding, most versatile synth Novation has ever made, Summit gives the serious producer or performer everything they need to design and play stunning basses, leads, arps, pads, effects, soundbeds and beyond.

It sounds really nice from the demos. I don't really do poly-synths anymore, but this one almost tempts me to make an exception. Yet I would probably still prefer natural choices in final renditions vs. even the lushest of those splits. I'm really trying to avoid block chords in my music.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

In the last video there's an explanation of some of the design criteria, which I enjoyed.

I don't think this time around the Novation is going to turn many pretty heads, but it's interesting it uses an FPGA and tries to be it's own polysynth.

T.

Based on how well the Peak has sold, and a MAP of $1999.00 it could sell really well. A 5 Octave KB with assignable Split points, and dual 8 voice Peak engines? Lots of sound shaping, two Filters? We'll see how it takes off.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

In the last video there's an explanation of some of the design criteria, which I enjoyed.

I don't think this time around the Novation is going to turn many pretty heads, but it's interesting it uses an FPGA and tries to be it's own polysynth.

T.

Based on how well the Peak has sold, and a MAP of $1999.00 it could sell really well. A 5 Octave KB with assignable Split points, and dual 8 voice Peak engines? Lots of sound shaping, two Filters? We'll see how it takes off.

Mike T.

Direct competition for DSI rev2 and the DSI prophet 12..

Same price range, what do you ears tell you?

It sounds really nice from the demos. I don't really do poly-synths anymore, but this one almost tempts me to make an exception. Yet I would probably still prefer natural choices in final renditions vs. even the lushest of those splits. I'm really trying to avoid block chords in my music.

Would you elaborate on this, didn't really follow-

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I have moved away from synths, except for special effects. I find that I almost always prefer an equivalent "real instrument" vs. a synth brass, synth strings, or synth pad patch. But the Moog Voyager is like a living breathing beast, so I use it for synth leads, synth basses, and some synth effects.

As I also avoid block chords like the plague, polyphony doesn't interest me anymore from that point of view either, and as I no longer perform live on keyboards (just on bass guitar, and clarinet), I don't need splits and the like anymore either.

Hopefully this response will bury the duplicate thread, which unfortunately popped back to the top again today. :-(

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

T.

Mike T.

Direct competition for DSI rev2 and the DSI prophet 12..

Same price range, what do you ears tell you?

I don't consider the DSI rev2 competition for the Novation Summit. The rev2 is an entry level synth. I've read complaints about cheap Pots, cheesy Reverb, and the action isn't all that great. Build quality is not in the same league as the Summit. The rev2 is $500 cheaper, but I wouldn't buy an entry level synth at any price.

My ears tell me the Peak sounds great, its a well thought out synth, build quality is rock solid. The Summit has two Peak engines, so sound wise its comparable. If I had GAS money to spend it would be on a Novation something. Not only because of what I posted previously, but because it SOUNDS different than anything else I already have.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I think the Summit may very well be the poly synth that gets my money. Its been quite a journey getting here. But I think I finally found something that really ticks all or mostly enough lol of the boxes I wanted.

Initially I was only shopping vintage analog because they sounded better to me vs the limited options out at the time. But they were pricey and repairs were a concern, also many of them were quite limited. That was around the time of the P08. Jump ahead to the P/OB6. They were the first modern synths to really catch my attention, especially the OB6. However the 49 keys/module trade off wasnt right for me. I got impatient and ordered a DM12, it was a great bang for the buck but I couldnt get on with it after some time so I sold it. I the oscillators and filter really bored me. I wanted a beefier sound with a more character rich filter. I thought about the Modal 008 and some of those other boutique synths, but the boutique nature of them concerned me in the event something went wrong, I heard some nightmare stories. I tossed around the idea of some 90s digital Polys, like the Ion, which I kinda still want, but I still wanted at least 61 keys. The Rev2 came out, and like the DM12, I loved all the modulation available but couldnt get on with the oscillators and filter. The Prologue hit and I thought that was the one. Really cool architecture, beefy oscillators, really cool digital integration, delicious filter, but the modulation was lacking. Then the Moog One came out. In all honesty that really did it for me...:except the 8K price tag. Its worth every penny, just more pennies than I have available to me. I came around to the Peak, I played it and loved it, but wished it had a keyboard. Enter the Summit.

To me its just a phenomenal package. Its like the best of everything out right now. The oscillators are digital but you can mess with the tuning so you can have precise or drifty. They sound full and rich, very analogue if you want them to. They al have wave shaping, a digital wave option, and theres three of them with plenty of FM options and sync. The filter is yummy. It can be delicate or brash. Fatness for days. You can drive it quite nicely and it has multiple types. And now with Summit you get dual filters like in the Moog One (almost). Plenty of modulation (4 lfos, 3 loopable envs, and a 16 slot matrix), you can split and layer and have two independent synths running, an arp per synth and and effects engine per synth. Sure you dont get a lot of effects but the ones they have sound good and that gives you an excuse to buy pedals haha. The UI is really well thought out, the build quality is great. All around its a fantastic looking, sounding, and specd Package.

Would i still want the OB6 filter some day? Yes. The gorgeous chassis and endless flexibility of the Moog One (and bragging rights)? Of course. The wild and crazy sonic madness of the Quantum? Absolutely. But for $2k I cant think of a more attractive package. If I could have this and a Matriarch by years end Id be a happy boy.

1974 Rhodes, CP70B, Polivoks, Dominion 1, Behringer D, Mother 32, DFAM, MS20 Mini, Folktek Mescaline, Nord Lead 2x, KArp Odyssey, Jv1080, Digitakt, Hydrasynth,

I have spent some time hanging out on Gearslutz forum getting a read on Novation as a company, quality control, tech support, and upgrade path.

There are a ton of Peak owners on that Forum, and I've heard great reviews of the tech support they offer. I have sent several "Pre Buy" questions to the Tech services and got comprehsive replies in less that 48 hours. After sending several questions their way over a period of about 6 or 7 weeks, I got a follow up email from Tech Support asking if my questions were answered and if there was anything else I needed to know. No Sales pitch.

As much as I love DSI Products, the decades of service I still get from my Prophet 5, I would buy a Peak or a Summit, if I was working and could afford something. I can't right now, but if I start to work again, I might try to get a used Peak from someone that's going to buy the Summit, and use my Alesis Ion as a controller.

Mike T.

I can't right now, but if I start to work again, I might try to get a used Peak from someone that's going to buy the Summit, and use my Alesis Ion as a controller.
Well, if you are in no rush, neither am I; I may yet succumb to "Summit Fever!"

Well so much for reining in GAS... Like several of you, this one ticks all the boxes for me. Loved and almost bought the Peak when it came out; but the tabletop module format wasn't quite the right fit. Lately I've had Moog One dreams, but a Blofeld budget. Though it might take a little time, the Summit looks doable - and very desirable :drool:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

FWIW I was in Perfect Circuit today. Among many wonderful synths they had a Peak and an OB6 very close to each other. I spent some time carefully A/Bing them and I have to say the Peak (ie: the Summit) sounds every bit as analogue as the OB6. They both were warm, rich, fuzzy, and creamy. I did a little tweaking to the oscillator drift parameters on the Peak to better match it to the natural driftiness of the OB6, but once dialed in (and Im talking minor adjustments) it was dead on. Sure the filters are a bit different but in their respective modes (lp, hp, bp) they sounded nearly identical. One wasnt lacking, theyre just different filters. So that just goes to show you are working with (sonically) what amounts to even footing with a VCO synth. In my humble opinion of course.
1974 Rhodes, CP70B, Polivoks, Dominion 1, Behringer D, Mother 32, DFAM, MS20 Mini, Folktek Mescaline, Nord Lead 2x, KArp Odyssey, Jv1080, Digitakt, Hydrasynth,

A poly isn't just any other poly. It's interesting to compare specs and have thoughts about what filter is better etc etc. Polyphony, multi-timbrality is an interesting given, and in this case "hybrid". Probably there are better designers out there but it's also interesting got people known in a bit different corner to make a Polysynth in it's own right, compared with analogue and with their own set of options.

Purity of tone, a palette of patches to serve band use or maybe specific markets, all are different criteria, so I like it when people try to make something musical and original, also if it doesn't fit certain pro standards or specific long standing thoughts about synthesis!

T.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know about the "same" if you mean the same as the Summit...but my two personal favorites of the ones I have are Diva and Repro (1 and 5, two synths). Repro in particular, being newer I guess, is just astonishing to me. I think some of that is the effects, U-he really did a fantastic job with the effects "stop boxes" in Repro. But Repro-5 in particular just makes me want to play it, I've always wanted a Prophet though so it's the sound of my childhood dreams!

As far as the Summit--man I'd love to get one, I was considering the Rev-2 mainly due to budget (and I hadn't heard much about build quality issues?) but the Summit would be so much fun.

I don't know about the "same" if you mean the same as the Summit...but my two personal favorites of the ones I have are Diva and Repro (1 and 5, two synths). Repro in particular, being newer I guess, is just astonishing to me. I think some of that is the effects, U-he really did a fantastic job with the effects "stop boxes" in Repro. But Repro-5 in particular just makes me want to play it, I've always wanted a Prophet though so it's the sound of my childhood dreams!

As far as the Summit--man I'd love to get one, I was considering the Rev-2 mainly due to budget (and I hadn't heard much about build quality issues?) but the Summit would be so much fun.

Yeah, I`ve heard demos from Repro and liked it.

By the 'same' character I mean the blending of digital with analog warm (I have a DW-8000 and loved how similar some patches from Summit sounded).

It would be nice to ave something like this in my VST library...