Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer DS-80

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uli's Comments:

As promised here is our DS-80 design draft;

Multi-Timbral 8-Voice Polyphonic

Analog Synthesizer with Dual Channels

per Voice, Polyphonic Aftertouch,

Ribbon Controller and Patch Memory

We want to be absolutely clear that this a very complex synthesizer project and it is at a very early stage. It will take us a long time to complete, however we are committed to deliver.

Why are we showing you this project at such an early stage? We believe that including you in the design process from the very beginning while help us and the synthesizer community to create a better product - and that's all that matters to us.

Thank you for your participation and now let us hear your feedback... Uli

Steve Coscia

I was inclined to agree with point number 2 from Moe, but...

the ability to quickly change to basically 5 live panels, with direct access to sliders at the appropriate corresponding position- that sounds kind of appealing to me.

2. All that panel duplication for presets is obsolete and stupid these days.

In a fully analog design architecturally derived from the CS80, digital user set-and-recall of all functions may not be possible...?

3. WHERE"S THE BLEEDIN' RIBBON?

Under the colored factory patch buttons in the middle. Hard to see in the photo.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Uli's trying to box Yamaha out, because he knows they won't dare try a literal 1:1 translation such as this.

And neither should Behringer. Let's get real here.

"We are committed to deliver" is a pretty strong statement, but please concentrate on getting that UB-Xa out first.

With all of the R & D they have its sad to see them waste time on something years away that wont get close to the real sound, and even if it did so friggin what?

2020 is approaching, synths might be able to levitate before long, try something from the current century.

None of their hardware even gets close to the sound of the old dinosaurs they seek to emulate.

Stop wasting time and innovate.

Whats next? The Behringer BThree and Lesly Nielsen Cabinet.

These people bore me...

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

With all of the R & D they have its sad to see them waste time on something years away that wont get close to the real sound, and even if it did so friggin what?

This is fun for baby boomers with cash to burn. I couldn't afford one of these back then - gives me a second chance to be one of the cool kids. I couldn't afford the OBX either.

Behringer is delivering more than just products. Dreams come true.

Steve Coscia

Whats next? The Behringer BThree and Lesly Nielsen Cabinet.

You sound unimpressed, Hardware, what is it?

It's a hypothetical tonewheel organ clone and matching rotating speaker, but that's not important right now.

Cheers, Mike.

None of their hardware even gets close to the sound of the old dinosaurs they seek to emulate.

There seem to be a lot of happy Model D owners.

Stop wasting time and innovate.

...These people bore me...

Different companies do different things. They don't all need to appeal to the same customers. In the big picture, the diversity of designs and approaches is a good thing. There are a lot of Behringer customers who seem to be happy someone is doing what they're doing. If the stuff didn't sell, they'd stop doing it.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Behringer doesn't innovate, they make cost effective designs of existing products.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Behringer doesn't innovate, they make cost effective designs of existing products.

I disagree. They innovate plenty where they see the opportunity. Case in point? The X-Air mixer which blows away everything at that price point. The DeepMind is another example. I'm sure there are others.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

You think Behringer isnt copying Yamaha UI for legal reasons?

Why did they feel they could copy UI on Moog D and ARP Odyssey?

The DM-12 I think was innovative in the sense that Behringer used their acquired IP from TC and engineers from Midas to build an inspired synth - not a clone.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I'd wait for the Yamaha, whatever it might be. I think most of the Behringer clone stuff is cool (never found one to try though), but this time I don't see the point. Is it going to weigh the same amount too? Some things should be updated/expanded rather than cloned. Just my opinion. And this concept art is ugly, and the layout does NOT appeal to me at all. Ick. I don't have a problem with clones, but this one makes me really scratch my head.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

All of this CS-80 talk makes me itch like a crusty old Andy-Rooney-style uncle who hates everything. :/

I saw Eddie Jobson playing one live. How could I not be biased by a high bar like that? I also have to bite down on that BS, because instrument choice and musical direction are 99% subjective. That's your call to make, case closed. I've also laid hands to a Synergy, Matrix-12 and Prophet T-8. There is a very solid line between lesser fun-synths and the Big Kahunas. I'd casually "hate" to see a decent new CS-80 that mostly sat in the middle of a pile of Erebus modulars and 3 Kaoss pads. That would be "wrong." :facepalm::rolleyes:

I have no stake in the matter, aside from hoping that a decent number of players would embrace it with Eddie in mind a bit. When someone really wails on a CS-80, it draws a clear line between Real Mavens and mere knockoff Taiwanese androids. If you only use it for pads, you don't need one! :cop:

If a manufacturer offered just the keyboard mechanism and got it right, I'd be all over that and Arturia's CS-80V before the sun set.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

... They innovate plenty where they see the opportunity. ... The X-Air mixer which blows away everything at that price point

The X-Air mixer IS a cost effective Midas XR where the Midas model comes w/ hotter outputs and better S/N ratio.

A.C.

Behringer should come up w/ a "poly AT" MIDI- controller keyboard offering the ribbon, PB & Mod-wheels in addition, 2 switch pedal- and 2 CC-pedal inputs as well.

That controller had a display and preset selector buttons and would be usable w/ every synth expander module (they offer).

The DS-80 sound architecture and all DS-80 specific play-mode haptics should go into a desktop module,- leaving the obsolete vintage preset slider section where it belongs to ... in the past.

A.C.

There's a bit of innovation here and there. Check out the augmented reality interface they have for the DeepMind synth:

[video:youtube]

There's a bit of innovation here and there. Check out the augmented reality interface they have for the DeepMind synth:

Hadn't seen that before... thanks for posting. Looks like fun! :)

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

1. Sliders suck compared to paddles.

2. All that panel duplication for presets is obsolete and stupid these days.

3. WHERE"S THE BLEEDIN' RIBBON? NO PITCH BENDER?

One of the best things about the CS-80 was the chunky feel of the paddles, I guess it would be expensive to duplicate. And I am curious to see if they really do come out with a PolyAT controller. But I can't help feeling that this is a big Behringer tease, just like the Jupiter 8 clone and the UB-Xa; just announcing these can cause people to hesitate in their synth purchasing.

Also, the CS-80 had a unique Oscillator structure (Hz/V or something like that), which the Deckard's Dream did not duplicate and why the DD doesn't quite sound like a CS-80. If Behringer is really going to clone it, will that mean actually cloning the electronics in SMT form??

So these days I am now waiting on:

-Moog One (with major bugs and MIDI implementation fixed)

-Black Corporation Xerxes (Synthex clone)

-Behringer Jupiter 8

-Studioelectronics/Roland Omega/Code polysynth

-and now the DS-80 (will it be the BS-80?)

gives me a second chance to be one of the cool kids.

No, it makes you the keyboard equivalent of the guy that bought this in the 80's and called it a "Jeep": ;):P

Suzuki_Samurai_.jpg

Only if you never played the original. :2thu:

There are lots of ways you can innovate. You can take something beloved but that most people, if they could afford one and had one - these days wouldn't think of gigging with it for various reasons, and use innovation in materials, modern design, manufacturing technics, etc to make a feasibly giggable, affordable, reliable version.

Cars were invented long ago, but that doesn't mean every modern car is just copying the Model T. There's lots of innovation.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

gives me a second chance to be one of the cool kids.

No, it makes you the keyboard equivalent of the guy that bought this in the 80's and called it a "Jeep": ;):P

Suzuki_Samurai_.jpg

Only if you never played the original. :2thu:

Cute story Sven ... my youngest brother bought a Suzuki Samurai many years ago (because at that time he couldn't afford a "real" Jeep) and he put a lift kit, big tires, locking axles on it and joined a club full of mostly Jeep owners. Over the course of the next several years he used his winch and pulled many a Jeep out of trouble. That little Samurai would go places a Jeep just couldn't sometimes go. Plus it weighed about half as much. He has a Rubicon now but still kept his Suzuki. Sorry to go OT, it just reminded me.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I disagree. They innovate plenty where they see the opportunity. Case in point? The X-Air mixer which blows away everything at that price point. The DeepMind is another example. I'm sure there are others.

The Xair is not original in any way. I saw an Australian company (forget their name) showing the original product lineup of 3 models at Music Messes about 5 years ago. They got a lot of attention inside the industry. Behringer just made copies.

The Australian company product line morphed into the SoundCraft line of Ui12, Ui16, and Ui24R. I don't know if the company was bought or the design was licensed or how that happened.

Mike Kent

- Chairman of MIDI 2.0 Working Group

- MIDI Association Executive Board

- Co-Author of USB Device Class Definition for MIDI Devices 1.0 and 2.0

... They innovate plenty where they see the opportunity. ... The X-Air mixer which blows away everything at that price point

The X-Air mixer IS a cost effective Midas XR where the Midas model comes w/ hotter outputs and better S/N ratio.

A.C.

Since Behringer owns Midas, I guess they can do things like that. They did the same thing with the X32/M32, where one is Behringer with Behringer preamps and the other is Midas with Midas preamps at different price points.

The Xair is not original in any way. I saw an Australian company (forget their name) showing the original product lineup of 3 models at Music Messes about 5 years ago. They got a lot of attention inside the industry. Behringer just made copies.

The Australian company product line morphed into the SoundCraft line of Ui12, Ui16, and Ui24R. I don't know if the company was bought or the design was licensed or how that happened.

Didn't the XAir also come out like 5 years ago? I'm not saying they didn't steal the idea, but it just seems a bit difficult to steal an idea and come out with it the same year as the thing you stole it from. Seems like it would take a bit of time to reverse engineer it to steal it. Really, at the core the XAir stuff is a shrunk down version of the X32 stuff with a built in wireless access point. So maybe they just stole the idea of adding a built-in access point from this company?