Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Problems with my Neo Vent ll

The problem is that the Stop and Fast/Slow switches just refuse to work. Once in a while, they will switch like they are supposed to, but usually not. I can still hit Bypass and Fast/Slow simultaneously and edit the parameters, but once that is done, they are useless. No switching from Fast to Slow, no Stopping the virtual Leslie.

I opened it up and everything looked solid--not dirty or dusty, nothing loose. And yet, when I closed it up the same problem persisted.

Any ideas? I bought it from someone here about 3 years ago, can't remember who. Shipping things from where I live in Central Mexico is a huge and expensive hassle.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would start by changing the switch....

Doug, Ken and Dave are both correct here. Your switches have gone bad from use, not abuse. I trigger mine from a Hammond/Suzuki half moon switch, also a Hosa FSC-385 Footswitch works, $20 on Amazon

:nopity:

Ill see if there is a local guy who can swap out the foot switch. Thanks. Im looking at the remote unit A lot of people seem to like it, but at first glance it seems redundant. Its a foot switch to...trigger my foot switch? I know in my case, it might be a workaround for whats wrong. But why would someone who has a floor model with a foot switch on it, buy a remote with a foot switch on it?

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Well, the previous owner must have used it quite a bit. Looking back, I realize I only used it on three gigs before it stopped working! That was a few years ago, but today was the first time I took it out of the box to try again.

I also bought some anti-static cleaner to see if that helps.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

I put mine in a rack, switching from a remote fs or a half moon switch ( depending on the setup du jour). No real-time adjustments, but I'm avoiding what you're going through now.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

Does your Vent II produce chorale and tremolo or is it stuck in bypass? I had two that got stuck in bypass presumably due to a run of faulty components on some Vent II production runs. The first was replaced and the second was repaired.

If you still hear chorale or tremolo and it just won't switch from one to the other you have a different issue than I did. Probably the switch as the other guys said. Good luck.

I wrote to the company and job st got this back:

Hi Doug,

please check the REMOTE MODE setting.

- press BYPASS and SLOW / FAST together to get to secondary

functions mode

- turn the MIX / DIST LO knob all the way to right (full clockwise position).

This switches the remote jack off

- Press BYPASS and SLOW / FAST again to leave secondary mode

If the REMOTE MODE setting has been changed unintentionelly to PEDAL SPEED

CONTROL, the internal switches will not work.

Regards, Guido

Neo Instruments

Guido Kirsch

Flemingstrasse 20-22

36041 Fulda

++49 (0)661 9619805

USt-IdNr. DE169067193

www.neo-instruments.de

gk@neo-instruments.de

Am 08.05.2019 um 02:02 schrieb Doug Robinson:

I will try it and report back.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

It worked. So...it wasn't the switch going bad. It wasn't bad soldering. It wasn't faulty components. All good suggestions, of course. But it was the 'remote' mode which I accidentally entered by pressing three switches at the same time and then twisting a knob to the right. Sheesh. I could have been using this all along.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Ill see if there is a local guy who can swap out the foot switch. Thanks. Im looking at the remote unit A lot of people seem to like it, but at first glance it seems redundant. Its a foot switch to...trigger my foot switch? I know in my case, it might be a workaround for whats wrong. But why would someone who has a floor model with a foot switch on it, buy a remote with a foot switch on it?

I tend to be pretty rough on footswitch mechanisms, which is one of the reasons I've used a remote switch for all of my Vents (I have three different ones) since day one. I think the internal switch would eventually fail due to wear and tear, so prefer to isolate that to a remote switch which can have an easy backup vs. rendering the Vent potentially unusable. Nothing worse than losing your Leslie sound! Which I've had happen with the real thing in the past.

I'm glad you figured out your issue!

I had a broken fast/ slow switch on my original Vent. The company wouldn't ship a part to enable me to find someone local to install it.

The only solution was send it back for repair with a turnaround time of up to 3 weeks. Without the Vent the organ in my Nord Stage 2, 76 is painfully bad.

As suggested earlier in this thread, I bought the remote. It arrived in 4 days, I started placing the Vent on the bare spot on top of the Stage where I could tweak overdrive. Mic distance, etc.

This was 4 years ago and the remote switch works fine. Like Eric, I'm glad I purchased the remote.

Happy to hear you were able to get it sorted out!

As Dave Doerfler suggested above the Hosa FSC-385 switch performs stop with switch1 and slow/fast with switch2. I believe this functionality is similar to the Vent footswitch. If I recall the original Vent's FS was $80-85. The Hosa FS is $20. It's worth taking a shot and going this route first.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Hi. I have an old vent 1. Still works great, but I can tell the fast/slow switch is slowly failing. On one of the threads here it was suggested that a Hosa FSC-385 switch would work in the remote spot. I got one, and it switches to fast ok, but when it switches to slow, it just keeps slowing to a dead stop. I"ve tried the reset of hitting both buttons on the vent and turning the distance knob, and I have the proper patch cord, but no go. Does the Hosa pedal not work with the old vents? Thanks

Hi. I have an old vent 1. Still works great, but I can tell the fast/slow switch is slowly failing. On one of the threads here it was suggested that a Hosa FSC-385 switch would work in the remote spot. I got one, and it switches to fast ok, but when it switches to slow, it just keeps slowing to a dead stop. I"ve tried the reset of hitting both buttons on the vent and turning the distance knob, and I have the proper patch cord, but no go. Does the Hosa pedal not work with the old vents? Thanks

I rewired my Hosa 385 so that the slow/fast works with my original vent. Three poles on switch #2; middle pole wired to the sleeve of the female TRS jack; one of the outside poles wired to the ring of the female TRS jack and the other outside pole wired to the tip of the female TRS jack. Then use a male TRS to male TRS to plug into the original Vent.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

A lot of people seem to like it, but at first glance it seems redundant. It's a foot switch to...trigger my foot switch? ... But why would someone who has a floor model with a foot switch on it, buy a remote with a foot switch on it?

I used to own an original Vent and I bought a remote switch from Ashby Solutions for a number of reasons: I preferred stepping on a $25 assembly rather than a $500 one and it allowed me to get the Vent off the floor and placed where I could tweak it if I wanted to.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

I preferred stepping on a $25 assembly rather than a $500 one and it allowed me to get the Vent off the floor and placed where I could tweak it if I wanted to.

Exactly this.....

Delaware Dave

Exit93band