Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2988334 - 05/06/19 09:33 AM Cancellation Pay
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Connecticut
Question: Do you guys get paid if the venue or promoter cancels the gig?

I was scheduled to play an outdoor festival yesterday with one of my bands, but we were rained out. I asked the band leader if we still got paid, and he was befuddled. Seems like the kind of detail he should have nailed in.

Curious what your experience is.

BP Island
#2988408 - 05/06/19 07:38 PM Re: Cancellation Pay [Re: jcadmus]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
You have to make sure you write that into the contract. Typically, the client can cancel up to 24hrs before the gig. Within that time, it's 50% until the band shows up, and then it's full pay. However sometimes it's spelled out differently for cancellations for other reasons, and there's a separate "rain clause" - each condition having different terms. But it definitely needs to be written into the contract and signed by both parties.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2988461 - 05/07/19 07:14 AM Re: Cancellation Pay [Re: jcadmus]
lug Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: League City,TX,UNITED STATES
wait.......you get paid to play!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
shocked
I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

#2988709 - 05/08/19 09:17 AM Re: Cancellation Pay [Re: lug]
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, yeah, obviously it has to be in the agreement in advance.

I guess what I'm really asking is how prevalent this is.

#2988710 - 05/08/19 09:17 AM Re: Cancellation Pay [Re: lug]
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: lug
wait.......you get paid to play!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
shocked

Nominally. With this band, the take is usually 60 bucks and a couple beers per man.

#2988740 - 05/08/19 12:32 PM Re: Cancellation Pay [Re: jcadmus]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Originally Posted By: jcadmus
Well, yeah, obviously it has to be in the agreement in advance.

I guess what I'm really asking is how prevalent this is.

Depends on the band. I was in one that would not take a gig without a contract. We were in pretty high demand, so clients were compliant. There were a couple bars that wouldn't sign them and we didn't play there. Guess what? Those were the places other bands got double booked and stiffed on pay.

I don't think I've EVER played any kind of festival, summer concert, etc, without a contract no matter the band. But there's always been a booking agent involved that tends to handle that part of it.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2988854 - 05/09/19 09:22 AM Re: Cancellation Pay [Re: J. Dan]
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Depends on the band. I was in one that would not take a gig without a contract. We were in pretty high demand, so clients were compliant.

I think that's the key. This particular band is reasonably popular and has a pretty good following. So I think it's a matter of asking for what they want.

This is mostly academic, really (and doing homework for my new band)-- I'm just a hired gun with this outfit and this weekend is my last gig with them.

Edited by jcadmus (05/09/19 09:22 AM)

#2988872 - 05/09/19 10:45 AM Re: Cancellation Pay [Re: jcadmus]
zeronyne Moderator Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Chicago/NW Indiana
I've never heard of a festival not REQUIRING contracts. And around here, anyway, a rainout clause is standard. What is not standard is what that clause stipulates.

#2988921 - 05/09/19 05:31 PM Re: Cancellation Pay [Re: zeronyne]
Paul K Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ithaca, NY
So only once have I gotten paid for a cancelled gig. Before I moved south (hooray for me!) I did eye exams at a bunch of upstate NY prisons. That gig required overnights due to windshield time. I had booked a solo gig for a Wednesday night after the day job. The proprietor sent me an e-mail canceling the gig because it was due to get a little chilly on the St Laurence River (late July...scheduled to go down to 60F...so normal for that area) but I didn't get the e-mail because I went straight to the gig after my day job. I set up, played the gig, got paid. I didn't find out about the "cancelation" till I went to a different bar whose kitchen was still open. So I was unable to ever book that gig again.

#2989235 - 05/11/19 05:28 PM Re: Cancellation Pay [Re: Paul K]
butcherNburn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Onions Peppers Garlic
I would think that any "well organized" event would have a contract, and if outdoors, this would be covered for sure, though not necessarily in your favor.

If you're serious about making money at this, you may want to have an arrangement of your own in your back pocket in case they don't. I'd keep it generic with fill-able areas to cover most situations.

Congrats to anyone who breaks even by time they get home from a gig.

#2989257 - 05/12/19 05:51 AM Re: Cancellation Pay [Re: butcherNburn]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
The only time I ever got cancellation pay was from a bandleader who booked me to play bass and then had another guy play the gig. It was a weird situation and it just worked out that way, no blame to anyone, and the band leader went the extra mile. I tried to refuse the pay because I didn't play, but she insisted.
I never had a bar owner even offer.