Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

I pulled the trigger and ordered a 3000 today. This thread did it to me.

Help! I can't stop myself from buying new keyboards.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Damn! Makes me want to buy an S3000 so I can be part of the PX-S club!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Would you have considered the S3000 instead to see if there are more serviceable sounds beyond the main acoustic piano sample set? Or was weight, price and the piano sound what the doctor ordered?

I don't think there's any difference in weight between the two models, or if there is it's trivial. No, I just needed an instrument for solo piano jobs, whether cocktail stuff, accompanying a choir etc. Anything which takes me beyond that, and I already have the MODX8, which is more flexible anyway. Also I liked the slightly cleaner stylings of the 1000, and I saved a couple of hundred pounds in the process.

I remember my MODX8 being quite bulky.

How would you compare the Casio?

I am wondering how Casio was able to get such clean and polished sounds that transfer to the speakers without a lot of artifacts that you get when you run into speakers . The piano sounds great on the EV ZXA1 speakers but on the Dexibell you can here some static ,and I am running them both through the same mixer .

Hi ed! Bill Levinson here from Key West. I want to get the 3000 as a back up for my Nord stage. Like you, I also have a mojo 61. Question, how are the synthesizer sounds on the 3000? Are any of them usable? Especially the lead sounds . On another note, how are you doing? I am working here six nights a week. Yesterday we did a double at the Green parrot. A spectacular very cool venue, like a much bigger John and Peters. And the big difference is that they pay a lot of money.

Hi Bill, I've not paid attention to the synth section yet. I bought this mostly to be my main gigging board for all solo piano work. I'l get in there over the weekend and check them out. The video Jazz+ posted sounded good and with the 3000 you have the knobs to play with the filter etc. and the pitch bend is programmable.

Sounds as if you're doing well and having some fun too.

I'm keeping busy gigging 5 days a week with easily 1/2 my work coming from better paying solo gigs.

When do you come back to NJ?

Here is the webinar from last week now transferred over to Youtube. We will be doing another one of these soon. [video:youtube]

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

To those of you who have gigged a 1000/3000, what stand do you use?

I asked Mike Martin what stand he would recommend (I have several K&M 18950s but they seem like overkill in terms of depth) and he specifically mentioned this one:

Ultimate Support JamStands JS-MPS1

I'm having difficulty sourcing one here in the UK, though there are a couple of others which look similar and appear to have roughly the same dimensions, branded as Stagg and Neewer respectively. This side of the pond, Andertons carry the JS-MPS1C, which looks pretty much the same but with a more 'closed in' top.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

To those of you who have gigged a 1000/3000, what stand do you use?

I asked Mike Martin what stand he would recommend (I have several K&M 18950s but they seem like overkill in terms of depth) and he specifically mentioned this one:

Ultimate Support JamStands JS-MPS1

I'm having difficulty sourcing one here in the UK, though there are a couple of others which look similar and appear to have roughly the same dimensions, branded as Stagg and Neewer respectively. This side of the pond, Andertons carry the JS-MPS1C, which looks pretty much the same but with a more 'closed in' top.

The Gator Frameworks table type stands look pretty good. [url:https://www.gatorframeworks.com/keyboard/tablet-av-stands/heavy-duty-keyboard-table-gfw-utility-tbl/] clonk [/url]

Here for the gear.

Gawd, I love this forum. I have the Gator Frameworks stand for my Nord 5D. It's very heavy but I like it, for the most part. I was looking for a stand that was not quite so deep. The 3000 is 9" deep according to published specs. I looked at the Ultimate Support jam stand and others like it (e.g., Neewer) which say they are 10" deep, so maybe that's the best bet. I'm always trying for the smallest possible stage real estate with the greatest stability. 88 keys is max width and can make life difficult on narrow stages, but if I can shave a few inches off the depth, it makes for better relations with the harp player on stages that aren't very deep to begin with.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I've had two K&M 18880s and they've always gone rogue on me after a while, buckling and seizing up. Think I'll order the Jamstand C version from Andertons...

I have been using a km 188880, sometimes with a second tier, for about 3 years now and while I love the weight and the ability to have two keyboards close and nearly flat, Id have to describe as very fragile for gigging even a few times a month. Down here in Mexico load ins are fast and often a little roughcobblestone streets, double parking, etc. For some reason the screws come loose and disappear more than any stand Ive ever had. It functions but there is a tad more side to side movement than I like.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

That Jam Stand doesn't look like the materials would hold up very long. The legs seem like theyd bend easily and wouldnt fold flat anyway. And it seems to me a lightweight keyboard would need more structure beneath it, which Gator appears to have.

Here for the gear.

Gator Frameworks table stand? I don't know... an 18 lb stand for a 25 lb board kinda seems like defeating part of the purpose. I'd look for something aluminum. If not that K&M, then maybe the Strukture Aluminum KeyStand. It's an X-stand, but a good one.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I don't know... an 18 lb stand for a 25 lb board kinda seems like defeating part of the purpose.

Casio has an opportunity to design a well-engineered light folding stand to match the light and slim form factor of these new keyboards. They've already designed the 3-pedal unit to be independent of the matching home furniture stand, and they've designed a nice gig bag to fit. How about a light but stable folding stand? My experience has been that X-stands are not so good for seated piano players...knees constantly bumping the stand.

I have 2 of these and the shorter version for my Mojo 61. I remove the extension legs to make them lighter:

QuikLok_WS_550_WS_550_Base_Unit_for_152996.jpg

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Z stands, Omega Stand, Standtastik stand will also give your knees and pedal room.

I have both an Omega stand and a folding platform stand that have plenty of room for knees, but neither are light nor proportioned for the S3000. I was imagining that the clever Casio engineers that created the S1000 and S3000 could create a light and compact stand, designed for stability and proportioned for these keyboards.

Ah I see. These are slim digitals. Saw the FP-30 recently. Not much to that one either foot print wise. But Im not sure what theyd come up with. If the stand is as slim as these models - how sturdy could it be?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I have 2 of these

Hey Jazz+, that's the Quick Lok WS 550, correct? I also have 2 with second tier option, looking at picking up a third. They seem to be creeping up in price, but my first one is 25 years old. You get what you pay for, hopefully.

:nopity:

Dbl post

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

2 hours vs 4? Must be the processor and display. Batteries for special occasions only.

I played a Casio PX-S1000 at GC. For Long Islanders who might be interested it was at the Commack store.

I thought the action and sound were very good. I only played the acoustic piano sound that it was set on. I liked the feel of the keys and was very comfortable expressing myself. At 25 pounds it's a dream come true!

My only struggle was when I moved my hands close to the fulcrum. The first two thirds of the keys were fine -- meaning key resistance was what I expected -- but key resistance was too hard for the last third. For a lot of the music I play this isn't an issue. I'd really only struggle with this if I were playing solo jazz piano or classical. Kudos to Casio on a wonderful technical achievement!

I'm going to buy a PX-S3000 as it provides a lot more functionality for a very reasonable additional cost. I plan on sometimes using the internal sounds and sometimes using it as a midi controller for my laptop rig. I'm expecting it will replace the CP4 for rock and blues gigs (because of the lighter weight) while also replacing the Yamaha NP11 for most portable / battery operated situations (because of the additional keys, and better action and sound). I'll keep the CP4 for jazz gigs as I'm not convinced I'll be able to comfortably express the same amount of nuance with the PX-S3000. But, we'll see -- the jury's still out on this.

P.S. GC also had a Yamaha P125. I found that I could express myself more easily on the PX-S3000 then the P125. Unfortunately, I can't put into words why that is. For me it's just a feeling and also the most important criteria.

I did a comparison today with the casio s3000 and the dexibell platinum Japanese grand , I just turned them both on and played them , I need to figure out how to tweak the casio , but it sounds decent coming through the zxa1 ev speakers , I need to figure out how to turn off the on board speakers to make it a little cleaner for recording . Go to mike lupinetti on you tube if interested .

You don't need to plug a cable into the headphone jack. Function + F7 will turn the internal speakers on and off, at least on the 1000.

As for the Kawai ES110, I really like Kawai's piano samples (I'm actively considering an MP11SE) but that one is an absolute miss for me, it's far too bright and thin on every YouTube video I can find of it.