Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PC HD & Libraries Update

Im proud owner of many virtual instruments, Kontak Libraries and samples in my PC but Im still running all those in a very amateur way, single HD (mechanical) backing up with Google Drive & External HDs.

Now, investing in a new setup I kindly ask for your thoughts.

Ill install more drives having after the update: Current 1TB mechanical HD + 1 additional 1TB M.2 SSD + 1 additional 250 GB SSD

So Im thinking about having the files organized as follows:

- 1 additional 250 GB SSD: Windows files & drivers

- 1 additional 1TB M.2 SSD: Kontakt Samples, Instruments, VSTs, DAW, etc

- Current 1TB mechanical HD: Back-up drive

Is this a good way to work?

Tks guys!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I'll have 2 SSDs and one mechanical, do you think its ok do have all DAW, VST, Instruments + Libraries separately from Windows drive?

Above you say:

- 1 additional 250 GB SSD: Windows files & drivers

- 1 additional 1TB M.2 SSD: Kontakt Samples, Instruments, VSTs, DAW, etc

- Current 1TB mechanical HD: Back-up drive

What do you mean when sayin´ "additional" ?

In case you will have 3 storage-drives in your DAW,- that´s how I´d go:

SATA-3 SSD for OS ... I´d prefer a 500GB (Samsung Pro) over any other 128 or 256GB brand/model.

500GB and above are faster and "pro" models use different flash memory chips optimized for (more) write cycles.

Have in mind the OS will write "to disk" always !

Up to now and even I don´t work for ´em, I prefer Samsung over other brand SSDs,- also because I don´t have experience w/ the other.

I´d store programs and plugins on the SATA-3 SSD also,- but not samples which will be streamed from disc.

In fact, I´d use a M.2 1TB NvMe connected to PCIe bus for ALL the samples,- also those coming w/ "plugins" like NI Absynth, Omnisphere or similar.

Once you´re sure which sample libraries you really need, you´ll mostly READ from that drive,- so something like the Samsung 9xx 1TB EVO Plus might be ideal.

They are cheaper than the older EVO and Pro models and come w/ the same controller like the actual pro models.

The difference is the flash memory they use,- 3D NAND vs MLC.

The "mechanical" HDD, I´d use for audio recordings,- probably create 2 partitions,- one for recordings and the other (2nd one !) just for "files" of all kind like mp3, PDF and s##t.

For backups, I´d use an ext. "mechanical" HDD ... 5400 rpm ... 3-4TB ...

Put it into a USB3 case.

According to (SATA-3 and M.2) SSDs,- have in mind it´s best not to fill ´em w/ data more than 50% max..

Depending on controller and data in use, they will need space for auto- "optimization/ trim".

That´s also the reason why I´d use the SATA-3 SSD for OS and NOT the M.2.

A M.2 connected to PCIe is FAST.

It seems to be ideal for OS,- but in a DAW it might work as expected or not.

Because the OS writes a lot to the drive always and SSD´s auto-optimization/trim might kick in w/o warning,- it might result in being a PCIe-bus hog, resulting in clicks and pops,- and that´s not what you want WHEN you want streaming samples continuously from SSD over PCIe bus or expect to get artifact-free recordings.

In opposite, there´s not a big disadvantage when your OS loads from SATA-3 SSD,- it´s pretty fast that way and there were also users getting more worst results w/ OS being loaded from M.2.

Means: Computer boot time was slower.

In fact it´s matter of experience and which system/hardware configuration you´re using.

No general rule there,- but I´d start that way and see ...

:)

A.C.

Thanks for the great tips Al!

Considering my current budget (and that i've already have an excellent price for the 1TB M.2 SSD I think i'll go as below:

- Samsung 860 PRO 512GB V-NAND Solid State Drive (for Windows)..., I can't afford the SATA III :-(

- 1TB M.2 SSD for samples

- Mechanical HD for files & backups

Hope this will increase my performance :-)

Thanks for the great tips Al!

Considering my current budget (and that i've already have an excellent price for the 1TB M.2 SSD I think i'll go as below:

- Samsung 860 PRO 512GB V-NAND Solid State Drive (for Windows)..., I can't afford the SATA III :-(

512GB Samsung 860 Pro 2.5 SATA 6Gbs 3D MLC NAND MZ-76P512BEU is a SATA 3 (6gb/sec) drive.

It costs about 120 bucks ...

- 1TB M.2 SSD for samples

- Mechanical HD for files & backups

Hope this will increase my performance :-)

I hope so too.

A.C.