Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommendations for External SSD drive for my MacBook Pro

I'm looking for any recommendations for a good external SSD drive to use on my MacBook Pro (mid 2015, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB Storage) since I have pretty well filled it up and will probably be getting a Komplete upgrade this summer.

I'm looking for suggestions for a good external drive here and prefer SSD, probably a 500GB or 1TB size.

I'm not sure if there is any value for me in a high speed Thunderbolt drive with a 4 year old MAC, but interested in speeding up load times at a reasonable cost/performance, but not if there is no value in it for my computer.

Thanks!

Jeff

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

case for USB 3 (or Thunderbolt, as desired).

I go with Crucial's MX500 series - this is their high performance and longer lasting series.

In my case not external (my MBP is 2011, so I can internally mount the 1TB drive), most of my Windows notebook and workstations also using Crucial. The BX line is a bit lower priced, but the MX is worth the difference.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I just nabbed a SanDisk Extreme SSD drive and it seems to be right up your alley. USC-C (or A), rugged rubberized case, but its much smaller than you would expect, about half the size of of an iPhone, or about twice the size of a thumb drive.

As per your question about SSDs in older machines? Absolutely! I threw an INTERNAL SSD into my 8-year old 2011 MacBook and its breathed new life into the machine. Speaking of which, at 4-years old, your MacBook may still have a replaceable hard drive. Check MacSales.com (OWC), which will be able to tell you, and if so, point you to a good internal drive. Going SSD was one of the best decisions I ever made. Booting and opening projects is about 4x faster.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

at 4-years old, your MacBook may still have a replaceable hard drive. Check MacSales.com (OWC)

Yes it does although it uses a proprietary connector. OWC was pretty much the only game in town for a replacement or upgrade but now you can buy a small adapter that lets you use a wide selection of much cheaper (and potentially faster) NVMe M.2 drives. I'll be doing this on my late 2013 MacBook Pro soon, I think. You need High Sierra or above to do this.

Got those tiny Samsung drives for my MBP, first six 250GB T1s, next five 500GB T3s, then two 500GB and two 1TB T5s. All fine. Didnt use the encryption though, simply formatted Mac OS Journaled wit Disk Utility.