Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What does a Hammond that needs to be recapped sound like?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recapped the tone generator on my Porta-B (the 1970s model not the modern one) back in 2001.

Before I recapped, I took notes of each harmonic and noticed that their relative volume was all over the place.

After I recapped, the harmonics all evened out.

Why is it being compared to an electro?? that shouldn't be your barometer. New caps do offer brightness.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Why is it being compared to an electro?? that shouldn't be your barometer. New caps do offer brightness.

I knew someone would make that comment. It's because it's my first 3 series and have no other reference point. It's all I know. Everyone had their first tonewheel at some point.

The old wax caps on 50's organ tonewheel filters generally drift such that the tone gets dark and the whole organ sounds mushy.

As others have said, it can also affect the note volume and you end up with uneven response.

However, recap a generator at your own risk. The capacitors originally were matched by hand at the Hammond factory, and replacement caps can be as much as 10% or more off. I recapped a B-3 years ago using a Goff kit and the end result was extremely harsh and unmusical.

I would recap the preamp first and make sure the leslie amp is up to snuff too, before considering a generator recap.

Moe

---

However, recap a generator at your own risk. The capacitors originally were matched by hand at the Hammond factory, and replacement caps can be as much as 10% or more off. I recapped a B-3 years ago using a Goff kit and the end result was extremely harsh and unmusical.

My recap kit came from Goff and my experience was positive.

Hammond used RLC filter circuits for many of the tonewheels (others were just RC). They wound their own pickups and inductors but not to any strict tolerance. So yes the caps had to be hand matched so that the filter circuits (esp the RLC circuits) operated correctly on the frequency of the tonewheel.

Well, if anyone is gonna recap anything, it'll be my tech. I don't want to mess anything up. It recapping then preamp a big job? Based on the sample I showed, is that what it needs?

Recapping the electronic chassis should be left to qualified techs unless you know how to be cautious around lethal DC voltages around a couple hundred volts. I know my way around them as an EE and I still felt 250VDC through my hand when picking up an assembly by the wrong point.

Here is what it sounds like

https://youtu.be/-sbJfCtBrbo

The difference is something other than TG capacitors. My spreadsheets show that those drawbar settings for that low G use TG outputs #20 and #27, which have only a resistor on the output (no transformer or cap).

Good to know. That's why I posted this here. Thanks! Any other ideas? Does it sounds wrong or is it that I'm just used to Nords and not real tonewheel organs?

I just listened to the clip. That's not buzz, that's just crosstalk (other tonewheel frequencies bleeding into the output.

Very normal for a real tonewheel organ.

Ok. Good to know. Can check this clip out too? It's only on lower notes, or at least it's worse on lower notes.

Next week, I'm getting a box from trekii so I can run it through my vent when the family is sleeping, so I will be able to rule out the low speaker in the Leslie.

https://youtu.be/0bLxThMEzXA

My recap kit came from Goff and my experience was positive.

Me too. I capped mine and replaced the filter circuits a while back (organ has been sold since) and it sounded as good as an XK5!!!

(kidding) It was a little bright but was an organ with great cut. The 'spit' of the keyclick was a little louder (not very) but I liked it. Sounded cool. ALL, without exception, of my friends that played out loved the sound of that organ.

In the posts and organ forums of way-back this was almost a 'religious' subject and poor Goff got hammered and even called nasty names more than once. The subject was almost forbidden in past times.

This was one subject (if any) if argued in-person could have brought the techs to fists flying, imo. People used to be super-passionate about Hammond organ debates and perhaps some still are, though there is a lot more to talk about today.

WH

I listened to both videos and even with headphones I'm not sure what you think is wrong. As Moe said, you might be hearing the crosstalk.

I really wouldn't worry about the TG caps. By the way, one of the first things that could/should be recapped is the crossover, if it hasn't been done. It's also safe and relatively easy to check by yourself to see if it has the original caps.

Enjoy your new rig!

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

I listened to both videos and even with headphones I'm not sure what you think is wrong. As Moe said, you might be hearing the crosstalk.

I really wouldn't worry about the TG caps. By the way, one of the first things that could/should be recapped is the crossover, if it hasn't been done. It's also safe and relatively easy to check by yourself to see if it has the original caps.

Enjoy your new rig!

I am loving it. The real Leslie and the action are heavenly.

Man I would never consider doing a full recap of a generator unless you had to because of some disaster like Zeus bringing down lightning on your rig. It will make the organ sound bright. I heard a model A with a full recap and it sounded like a circus organ.

Also Just in case ... If your Leslie is single speed converting it to a 2 speed with a brake won't sound the same. You will lose the really long cool wind downs. Not as big a fan of Chorale as I used to be but it can be nice also.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt