Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bose L1 Model II / Line6 Speaker - Any Experience With...

Hello Guys:

I sincerely hope everyone has been doing well. I've really missed checking in and talking with you all, but unfortunately have been gone for personal (time consuming) reasons. I had lost my "day" job back in December after 16 years, and have recently spent all of my online time looking for work.... which brings me to this post.

I'm currently looking for a working Wedding/Corporate situation in my area and still putting together a system in preparation for this. I have yet to purchase an amplification system for playing the cocktail hours and ceremonies and occasional stage monitoring (in place of in-ear's).

Wednesday, I came across a 15% off sale from one of my favorite retailers on the Bose L1 Model II with B2 Speaker but today is the last day.... so was just wondering if they are good for this purpose. Would only be using 1 column and BII bass speaker. Also, I know it has a stereo line input, but assuming this is not true stereo and that you would need two columns and two bass speakers for this purpose.....right?

As an alternative, I had also seen the Line 6 speaker which can double as a floor wedge, has a built in mixer and has gotten great reviews as well.

Thanks,

Anthony

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been discussed on another forum about phase canellation problems using two Bose. You'd have to space them pretty far apart and maybe thats not always possible with smaller setup situations. Bose makes great stuff but very pricy.

I can highly recommend the JBL Eon Ones. I use one for simple small gigs. Just played outside for my towns Art Walk and covered two blocks with good sound. I use two in stereo for bigger jobs and if DJing is needed I add a small sub. Decent mixer built in and super compact and easy to move/setup.

I've used an L1II with the B2 on my DMC/Gemini (using mostly Hammond electric Piano and Clav). I was very impressed with the sound. It was borrowed, so I don't have a ton of experience. But, it absolutely blew away the Bose L1 Compact that I normally use.

I had the Line 6 stagesource speaker at one point (but replaced it with my current L1 Compact). My experience was that it sounded great as a monitor, but it was so directional that even when blasting it, people off to the sides couldn't hear me at all (including the band).

I recently heard a single entertainer (piano, vocals, and a few backing tracks) who used a pair of Evolve 50s - Electro-Voice's take on the mini-column line array format. I was very impressed with his overall sound, and they are considerably less expensive than the Bose L1.

Turbosound also makes similar products for considerably less yet.

Bose is not the only game in town. I would urge you to shop around.

I have a L1II with a B2 and am very happy with the quality of sound for acoustic piano and bass. It's components are relatively light weight and fit in any car. They are expensive, if you're getting 15% off, that's great but unusual.

I don't think the single analog input is stereo, however. If you got the T1 mixer you can combine channels into a mono signal, but that's another $500 I think.

If you need a lot of volume, like in a outdoor gig and expect it to carry far, it may disappoint. I do recommend the system and my friends that use it are happy, also.

I remember hearing a solo guitarist use one at a backyard party years go, and was super impressed with the sound. So I found a used one at GC for $1600. Super deal.

I had it for several years, and loved it. For wedding/corporate/private parties and the like, the Bose L1 Model II is a charmer, for sure. For louder electric bands, not a good fit. Also, it is not designed to be used in pairs for stereo applications. Sort of sorry I sold it when I started playing in electric bands.

Pros:

- super tasty crystal sound, incredibly wide dispersion

- projects to the back of the room without being "loud"

- reasonably portable, straightforward setup

- sturdy design, built to last

- outrageous resale value

- APs sound fantastic, which is rare

- cool looking, really

Cons:

- watch the ceiling height in some venues

- moderate bass unless you get more bass modules

- learn to live with mono -- really not so bad for acoustic-style music

- one of those column connectors break, and you're screwed

- crumbles at most electric band volumes, you can get decently loud, but the drums/guitar/etc will overpower you at time.

- makes you wonder if you could have saved a few $$ by going with a similar competitive system (there are several)

- I thought the ToneMatch mixer was sort of overpriced for what it did.

For my current cocktail music / small acoustic gig thing I'm using a Bose L1 Compact. It's loud enough and clean enough for that sort of thing, but I'll warn you, there's this nasty 100 Hz bass peak (+10 dB!!) in the response that is downright annoying unless you EQ it out.

For what I am doing these days, a Bose L1 Model II would be overkill, although I'm looking around for a used deal.

Best of luck!!

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I use the Bose L1 Compact for my Solo shows and it GREAT. Nice range for AP and EP and gives my voice more bottom end than the JBL G2 Eons I used to use. Only complaint is no reverb.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Hey Guy's

Thanks for the suggestions. Like I mentioned, having recently moved, I am currently looking for a working wedding / corporate situation in my area. I had started this process tentatively prior to this, but it didn't make much sense under the circumstances. Not to put the cart before the horse, but do want to be somewhat prepared in advance. BTW - the 15% off I mentioned is good until July 7th, but their price post sale seems to be inline with all of the other online retailers regular prices.

~ Anthony

I own this Bose system with B2 and Tonematch. You CANNOT only use one of the columns - I asked Bose.. Maybe someone here knows why... but I got a clear, NO, on that option.

Question for others

I used the Bose with B2 but wanted to add other speakers... and somehow did.

I do not recall how I accompished this feat.. it gave a bigger sound... sorry I am not more articulate about it.

I want both Bose and my 2 k10's... for my keyboard. What ways ( I am sure there are multiple ways, some better than others ) might I try, including using a stereo mixer?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Ive always liked their system, they are trend setters, but RCFs are PA Strength and I would advise that particular model for full range keyboardists.

Get them from the dealer in St.Louis.

He doesnt try to make profit, just get his Arrays cheaper....

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I own this Bose system with B2 and Tonematch. You CANNOT only use one of the columns - I asked Bose.. Maybe someone here knows why... but I got a clear, NO, on that option.

Sorry, this is just not accurate at all. You use one column, you feed it mono and you get mono. It's that simple. If you were told otherwise, you were told wrong. Indeed, if you check out all of Bose's literature and documentation, that's how they show it being used.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Sorry, this is just not accurate at all. You use one column, you feed it mono and you get mono. It's that simple. If you were told otherwise, you were told wrong. Indeed, if you check out all of Bose's literature and documentation, that's how they show it being used.

I think a point of clarification is needed.

When I say ( and said to the Bose tech ) "one column" I was speaking of half of the total columns one normally uses with L1 model two. The system as you know, reaches about 6 feet or more from bottom to top, because there are two "columns" that connect . I wanted to just use the lower column, and was told NO. It had to do with possibly impedance mismatch... but whatever the case, I argued the point with the tech, and "no" was my answer... it would do damage if I did not connect both columns as it was designed. If I can use just one of the 2, that is good news.

I wanted inform OP Bose is a great company... allow my anecdote to speak for itself. Five years ago my 2 or 3 year old Bose L1 model 2 had a distortion issue. Actually let me interrupt my story... and simply say, the way Bose handled my problem, was unbelievably fair... almost too fair. Only one other boutique company who makes bass amps, treated me this well. I do not want to reveal specific details... Unless Bose has changed its policies, I am blown away by the way Bose treated me and my L1 issue.

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I think a point of clarification is needed.

When I say ( and said to the Bose tech ) "one column" I was speaking of half of the total columns one normally uses with L1 model two. The system as you know, reaches about 6 feet or more from bottom to top, because there are two "columns" that connect . I wanted to just use the lower column, and was told NO. It had to do with possibly impedance... but whatever the case, I argued the point with the tech, and no was my answer... it would do damage was my impression.

Thank you, that makes much more sense! That being said, I have used a half-column more than a few times (I'm not smart enough to ask questions, I guess). It was about half as loud (except for bass) and no apparent damage was done.

Didn't sound great though, but usable.

As far as adding external amplification, I'd go find a small mixer that gives you a separate aux output with its own levels. Aux (mono) to the Bose L1 Model II, normal stereo outs to K series or whatever. The ToneMatch would not be part of this scenario.

It was possibly by accident that I brought up the half the column approach and was corrected.

Which small, comparable in quality mixer for stereo keys, a few mics and an iPad mp3 player, whew , would you suggest?

It was possibly by accident that I brought up the half the column approach and was corrected.

Which small, comparable in quality mixer for stereo keys, a few mics and an iPad mp3 player, whew , would you suggest?

This Behringer looks like it might work for what you want (have not personally tried it for the config you're proposing). You'd run the aux channel to the Bose L1, and not use the aux returns.

Unfortunately, mixers with dedicated aux channels tend to cost a bit more, have more inputs and a bunch of bells and whistles you may not want.

Way more than you may want, but definitely the ultimate in flexibility are the Behringer X-Airs If you already are using a laptop or a tablet, you're halfway there. Super bang for the buck.

Sorry, this is just not accurate at all. You use one column, you feed it mono and you get mono. It's that simple. If you were told otherwise, you were told wrong.

Bose kinda reminds me of Apple. But I digress. :taz:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Sorry, this is just not accurate at all. You use one column, you feed it mono and you get mono. It's that simple. If you were told otherwise, you were told wrong.

Bose kinda reminds me of Apple. But I digress. :taz:

'Reminds you of Apple' eh? Yes and No. read on.

Just for OP's sake... the L1 Model comes with 2 columns that are designed to be used together. They are over 2 feet in length, maybe 3 feet each. Together they reach almost to the ceiling. The Bose tech told me on no uncertain terms, I must use both columns, not just the bottom column which is the only one that plugs into the power base. i believe impedance was the reason.

Use only half the system at your own risk.

I also want to reiterate that Bose Corp treated me unbelievably fairly... a "strict company", true, meaning, you have to do things along their stringent guidelines, however,unlike Apple, Bose Corp are extremely liberal in their service to the customer, at least this customer. I am their undying well-wisher, based on their handling of a distortion issue I had.

The wide dispersion can be your worse or best friend. Here what happened at on of my gigs.

The gig. Large venue, with stage (recessed with walls on each side), and a long rectangular room. We setup the L2 with B2 subwoofer behind us (duo), as it is intended to be so you don't need a separate monitor. Also had Tonematch. In order for the rear of the room to hear us, we had to turn it up so loud it almost blew us off the stage. (Yes we should have used ear protection but we didn't need it at the prior gig). On top of that, one musician in the audience said the articulation of our vocalist was not good. Back to the wide dispersion - the L2 being at the back of the stage wasted a lot of power on the sides of the stage. Of course we could have moved it forward, but that is not what it is designed for.

Replaced the Bose with 2 QSC 10.2s and played the same venue. Reasonable stage volume, excellent coverage and clarity throughout the venue.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Bose is a great design - for what it was designed for. I personally liked the overall sound of the QSCs better partly because of the stereo. But the Bose is best in an open environment where you really need the full dispersion. A stage with sides is not that environment.

Some people have used two L2 systems in stereo, but as others have mentioned there can be phasing and some cancellation effects. Of course there is a distance where it doesn't matter, but that distance may surprise you. On the other hand I have heard of musicians using the Bose in stereo with great results. I guess you milage may very.

The best I have ever heard the Bose systems is with singer/guitarist gigs. Unbeatable in these configurations of relatively small venues.

Agreed.

I think of the Bose L1 as "near field" (small room, audience is not too far away). I wouldn't consider a stereo pair for many reasons, some listed here. Don't overlook the L1 Compact, as it brings a nice sound to acoustic-level gigs. You can find them for short money if you shop around.

I think of K8.2s/K10.2s/RCF TT08-a as "medium field" (larger room, need to project a bit more. Add a sub as needed for the material. Or use something like the EVOX J8 which is sort of a cool, effective sub-like solution.

And then you have 12s like the K12.2s (or FA 12acs) that can throw much farther. I had a pair of QSC KW153s that were good for that as well.

And then we're talking flying line arrays, or similar. Big $$$, better to hire a sound company that to have $10k of gear you only use every so often.

Agreed also. They aren't my thing, but that doesn't mean that couldn't be someone's thing - including the OP's thing (wedding ceremonies, cocktail hour, stage monitoring).

If that makes any sense. They are rather unobtrusive (visually and sonically).

Fine for a coffee shop or something like that. Not PA for a sizable room. Period. Split the, in half and you eliminate the line array effect which means you are now using traditional PA with 3" drivers. Good luck with that.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.