Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Return of the Yamaha CS-80? Hmmm

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yamaha overlooked Keyboard Tracking on the filters of most of their analog Synths. Without this the upper notes tend to dominate over the lower notes with no way to adjust the balance.

That high note dominance was part of the CS-80 signature sound - it was recognizable (i.e. Eddie Jobson's Zinc album). Those high notes cut through the mix.

Steve Roy Bittan used one for years. I have an interview where he talks about it.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Yamaha had been ignoring pleas to bring back the ribbon controller, the polyAT, and their reface toy is a f---ing insult.

Doesn't the MONTAGE have both? Earlier (top model) Motifs too.

Montage has polyphonic aftertouch? I dont think so. Monophonic maybe. Yamaha left aftertouch off the MODX because apparently aftertouch is useless according to some people. Of course those same rabid defenders of Yamaha have no comprehension of why the CS80 was considered a real and complete musical instrument. Polyphonic aftertouch is one of the important reasons why.

Yamaha overlooked Keyboard Tracking on the filters of most of their analog Synths. Without this the upper notes tend to dominate over the lower notes with no way to adjust the balance.

That high note dominance was part of the CS-80 signature sound - it was recognizable (i.e. Eddie Jobson's Zinc album). Those high notes cut through the mix.

Fine, but at least have the OPTION for keyboard tracking.

I always wondered how many of these were made. People seem to gobble them up when you see them used.

Both Julian Colbeck (Keyfax Omnibus) and Mark Vail (Vintage Synthesizers) say approximately 2000 - about the same figures as they give for a Jupiter 8.

I think the big question is whether Yamaha will devote the financial resources to recreate that wonderful poly AT keybed and responsive ribbon on something that probably won't be a big seller. The synth itself would (I imagine) be fairly easy to do these days.

Given that Yamaha ignored AT on the MODX, and all the clueless goobers who defended Yamaha for doing so, I doubt that Yamaha would include Poly-AT.

Mr. Grumpy sez:

All y'all frothing n' foamin' at the mouth over nothing. There will never be a credible recreation of the CS-80.

If you just want the sound, the closest current attempt is the Deckard's Dream. It's only a rack however, neatly avoiding all the problems associated with a wooden poly aftertouch action and the sublime ribbon controller.

Moe

---

All y'all frothing n' foamin' at the mouth over nothing. There will never be a credible recreation of the CS-80.

That's what they said about the Memorymoog a few years ago.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

That's what they said about the Memorymoog a few years ago.

I had a Moog One briefly and although it is glorious in its own right, it's no MemoryMoog. But Moog is a tiny nimble company compared to the Yamaha behemoth. Just because some dreamers in Yamaha R&D are floating the idea of a new CS-80, doesn't mean the bean counters will ever let it come to light without fatal compromises.

Moe

---

But Moog is a tiny nimble company compared to the Yamaha behemoth. Just because some dreamers in Yamaha R&D are floating the idea of a new CS-80, doesn't mean the bean counters will ever let it come to light without fatal compromises.

Last I knew Moog doesn't build acoustic pianos, church/home/school organs, DPs, drums, wind instruments, violins/violas, vibraphones, motorcycles, recreational watercraft, outboard motors, golf carts, home appliances, or sporting goods. Moog's focus is on providing tools for the musicians and they don't have to worry about mass appeal like Yamaha does.

Totally different companies. I have little faith that the bean counters at Yamaha will approve a no compromise CS-80 polysynth aimed at professional musicians like Moog did with the M1.

There are very good sounding recordings of the CS-80, which make me believe the fame, even as an instruments on itself, is deserved. Maybe though in this time the electronics must be prepared for (digital) recording, and possibly there's a need for studio effects. It depends on which department of the (formerly ?) great Yamaha R&D and directorate and .. ? is going to do the planning what the eventual product will be able to do. I kind of fall for the "ahead of the curve" idea the original CS and some other famous Yamaha instrument honored.

T.