Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody famliar with the Leslie 2 speed conversion kits?

Anyone using the Carribean Controls or the Hamptone 2-Speed Conversion Kit? Is one better than the other? Price wise they are about the same. I have recently picked up a free working 21h that I am thinking about adding the 2 speed kit to....

Thanks

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the Carribean in my Leslie. It worked well and had a couple adjustments for controlling the slow speed. It was in the Leslie when I got it, so I didn't do any research on it or anything like that.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I had one installed in my 22H by Lonnie at George Smith's in Anderson, IN. I'm not sure who is the designer of the electronics, it's definitely not the Caribbean. They seem to be the most advanced based on looking at the electronics they use. Lonnie said that it was made by the original maker of the conversion kit. Didn't get into specifics. The kit is OK. The drawback of all of the conversions out is that they slow the motor down, I think by altering the frequency of the AC to the motor and as a result the motors tend to run hotter. I'm not absolute yet, but I don't think, at least the one I have, is acceptable for "Professional use". Meaning for example, Church, Touring, and other demanding applications. A good topic for discussion.......

Regards

I've got the hamptone in my 31h, 5 min hook-up, for me it seams

like it was specifically designed for my needs,all the way down

to the liitle painted in dots on the 31H wires. Just follow the instructions a little.

The drawback of all of the conversions out is that they slow the motor down, I think by altering the frequency of the AC to the motor and as a result the motors tend to run hotter.

Not quite true, at least on the Carribean. It works by emitting varying numbers of wave cycles or pulses, not changing the frequency.

Heat can be a problem - which is why I use Stop on breaks and when I am not actually sitting at the organ.

Moe

---

I had the Caribbean Controls mod installed in a Leslie 44W back in '04. It was done by Elledge Electronics out of Plainwell, MI. They also sold me the 44W.

No complaints. The mod worked very well. Based on what the tech at Elledge explained, it essentially turned the 44W into a 145.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

• 8 years later...
Do you still have that Leslie? I was curious if the mod had any impact years down the road.
I have a Hamptone unit in my 122. The previous owner was having slow motor issues, had a couple in the leslie that had issues so they decided on trying the Hamptone unit. It's been in the leslie for 15 years, no issues.

Also, see this link:

https://bentonelectronics.com/shop/mtclogic-leslie-2-speed-conversion/

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I have a Hamptone unit in my 122. The previous owner was having slow motor issues, had a couple in the leslie that had issues so they decided on trying the Hamptone unit. It's been in the leslie for 15 years, no issues.

Good to know. I have a Hamptone on order.

I completed the Hamptone mod without any issues. All good.

Do you still have that Leslie? I was curious if the mod had any impact years down the road.

Yes. No issues at all....

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

FWIW I run a Hamptone in my 50C. No problems, easy install. No experience with Caribbean.

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

The Hamptone and CC (now off the Market) are both PWM controllers which use the AC mains waveform as a clock source. Thats pretty coarse grained.

The MTCLogic uses a microprocessor and leverages VFD techniques which should yield more torque and less vibration. It is also available in a form factor that simply replaces the relay, giving a nice tidy install.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I removed the Caribbean Control from my 122 last year and replaced it with reissue slow motors from Hammond. Got tired of the clicking noise from the CC which is quite noticeable in a living room or quiet studio environment.

I removed the Caribbean Control from my 122 last year and replaced it with reissue slow motors from Hammond. Got tired of the clicking noise from the CC which is quite noticeable in a living room or quiet studio environment.

Hmm. Hoping the Hamptone doesn't have that click.