Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cancer benefit/tribute - Yes, Phish, originals #2987829 05/02/19 11:09 AM
samuelblupowitz Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey friends,

A few of you have heard about my friend who passed on in late March, and the tribute show we put on for him last weekend to raise money for his family.

I was onstage for most of the event, but a local journalist Facebook Live'd the full set by one of my bands that performed, Thru Spectrums (the "funk band" I often reference here, because it's the band I haul the most gear for). There's a few of our original tunes, which are fun and funky and proggy and I get to do lots of cool organ, clav, and Seaboard stuff, but I thought of particular interest to this forum would be our cover of Long Distance Runaround (6:18) and Phish's Stash (around the 25-minute mark. The latter was a particular favorite of my late friend Dan (he was a guitarist, of course. wink )

We open the Phish tune with a sample of him playing guitar and counting off the band, so don't skip the introduction!

We also closed the set with the Herbie Hancock/Derek Trucks/Susan Tedeschi arrangement of "Space Captain," so if you want to hear me trying to play like Herbie but sounding much closer to Leon Russell, there's that.

Here's a link to the Facebook video.

Thanks everyone. Hope you enjoy!

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Composer. Arranger. Musician. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.
KC Island
Re: Cancer benefit/tribute - Yes, Phish, originals [Re: samuelblupowitz] #2998801 07/16/19 02:12 PM
OP Offline
I've been posting a lot of my stuff lately, but we've been trickling out some of the multicam video with the board feed from this April show, and I wanted to share some of it here for anyone who is interested. I'll probably post periodically, particularly once I have some tunes from the set I sat in on of my late friend's old band, Spacetrain.

This is Thru Spectrums covering Stash by Phish. I'm playing Pianoteq's YC5 Rock Piano (controlled by my Privia PX3), some organ on my Electro 4D, and one mostly-buried chord on the Seaboard to cover a bass double-stop from the album version that our bassist didn't have enough frets to reach. I also trigger that intro sample of Dan playing and talking about the song.

I really had to practice playing harmonized diminished chord arpeggios for this tune, and really felt my lack of classical training. You can hear my excitement when I nail the first one a little before the two-minute mark. laugh

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Re: Cancer benefit/tribute - Yes, Phish, originals [Re: samuelblupowitz] #2999207 07/19/19 12:48 AM
mcgoo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Cool stuff!

Somehow I manage to con people into paying me to play with toys that make noise.
Re: Cancer benefit/tribute - Yes, Phish, originals [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3001530 08/02/19 03:31 PM
OP Offline
Here's another video from this show. The most special part of the evening, for me, was the reunion of my late friend's old band, Spacetrain. They had always been a classic two-guitar four-piece, and my regular collaborator Joe Massa filled in for Dan on lead guitar, but I was also invited to sit in on keys for their entire set, which was an absolute blast. Their songs lent themselves to a lot of cool parts and textures, and on this tune, I got to play some really fun barrelhouse piano as well as a little spacey Seaboard synth lead.

I've got to say, Pianoteq's Yamaha-based YC5 "rock piano" might be my favorite digital piano sound I've ever used, and was a real treat to play on a song like this.

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Re: Cancer benefit/tribute - Yes, Phish, originals [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3002634 08/10/19 05:37 PM
OP Offline
Okay, gonna share one of my other highlights from this event. There's a fundraiser in my town today for the hospice center where my friend Dan spent his final days, so it seemed like a good time to share this tribute I worked out for him.

The core of it is a cover of the Stones' "Shine a Light," which seemed to fit the tone of the event, especially given that it was written for a late guitarist (and was regularly covered by Dan's favorite band, Phish). That segues into a chorus of Trey Anastasio's "Everything's Right," which was one of Dan's go-to pieces of music during his battle with cancer. We also opened the show with a full performance of the song, so it turned it into a little reprise.

The video opens with a recording of Dan performing "Remember Me," from the Pixar movie Coco, which was about keeping your loved ones close even after they die. It's accompanied by audio from Dan's appearance on the podcast "Beautiful Stories from Anonymous People," hosted by comedian Chris Gethard.

So, a little heavy, but cathartic, and a sequence of music I'm very proud of. I hope you enjoy. The performance is a little rough around the edges, I think, but we'll never play this sequence of songs this way again, so I'm glad it's been preserved.

Looks like new embedded video is working now, but just in case, here's the URL: https://youtu.be/2FfdwsVH6OQ

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Re: Cancer benefit/tribute - Yes, Phish, originals [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3002842 08/12/19 02:13 AM
davedoerfler Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by samuelblupowitz

So, a little heavy, but cathartic, and a sequence of music I'm very proud of. I hope you enjoy.

Thanks for sharing.

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
Re: Cancer benefit/tribute - Yes, Phish, originals [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3002845 08/12/19 02:24 AM
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Samuel, Thank you for being a part of this. As a cancer survivor, I really appreciate it.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's
HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
Jim
Re: Cancer benefit/tribute - Yes, Phish, originals [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3002899 08/12/19 02:15 PM
RudyS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
thank you for sharing this. Must have been an emotional gig, but you guys really shine! I really liked the performances.

Rudy

Re: Cancer benefit/tribute - Yes, Phish, originals [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3002907 08/12/19 02:47 PM
OP Offline
Thanks, everyone. I spend a lot of time trying to jump up and down, get people to come to my gigs, check out my music, that sort of thing, but this show was definitely a different beast. Not that it wasn't "for me," but it wasn't ABOUT me. Dan was a really influential, important person in my life, and the lives of a lot of others in my community, and the only way I feel like I could really express my grief is to really put a lot of creative energy into celebrating him. It's part of how we get to keep him alive.

I appreciate that this forum and the connections I've made here can be a part of that. If it were only a resource for gear info and good gig stories, that would be enough. Thanks for making it a place where I can share some music that means a little more to me than the usual. I'm grateful that it's meaningful to others here, too.

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Re: Cancer benefit/tribute - Yes, Phish, originals [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3003499 08/16/19 03:28 PM
OP Offline

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Joe Muscara