Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keytar Smashing

Keytar died during the middle of my solo for Burning Down the House. First the strap screw came off after it had been redrilled twice (crappy plastic housing), then it totally died (no power, fresh batteries) just before I played the last note... I realized it was time to put it out of its misery. I began by ripping keys out and tossing them out to fans in the audience. Then at the end of the night during "Fat Bottom Girls", I went complete Pete Townsend on it. Here's the result:

http://www.ericbarker.com/dropbox/KeytarSmashed_1.jpg

Most satisfying thing I've ever done with my clothes on. I highly recommend it if you ever get the chance.

http://www.ericbarker.com/dropbox/KeytarSmashed_2.jpg

Oh, and during "Thrift Shopping" I ordered a new one: "Had a broken keyboard, bought a broken keyboard!"

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like a Who Tribute Band would be the ticket

expensive gear smash about, of course. But we must be authentic :D

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Ill admit, Im a little less impressed by the build quality after this. Neck snapped when I stomped on it once. Thing exploded like a piñata the first time I brought it down over the rim of the stage. I was expecting it would survive at least two or three hits! They make it too easy!

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

[video:youtube]

John Entwistle is like .... Nobody is breaking my bass. :D

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have this vague memory of a Townsend interview on TV where he said (paraphrased) "We never do that to a guitar we care about -- it was always a piece of junk, sometimes taped together before the show."

The idea of doing it to a beater keyboard -- $25 at a yard sale -- is intriguing though.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Next time get some strap locks. Replace the self tapping screw with a small flat head machine screw.

Use a fender washer inside the Keytar and secure with a nut. I also use a dab of JB Weld PlasticWeld. It strengthens the screw hole.

I did this on both my original Vortex, and my current Vortex Wireless 2.

Lastly, the no-power thing is an easy fix. Happened to me once on the Vortex 1 several years ago.

No issues.

FYI, the Vortex Wireless 2 has a stronger plastic case. Especially in the area of the sliders that replaced the knobs.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Yeah, I had gotten strap locks, but the screw still fell out. Even installed an internal but with machine screw, but it would come unstuck every few shows and I had to reglue it. After a while everything became loose and stripped. I had kind of made peace with the unit about 6 months back. Started modding it and painting it. At the end there was a lot of duct tape and broken controllers, and it had a good life. Upkeep was starting to become more trouble than its worth.

Been looking to find the right opportunity to smash it for some time now!

PS: Vortex2 arrived today, will set it up and put strap locks on in the next few days. This time I got it with a gig bag, so shouldnt get banged up as much while in storage (which is under the stage).

We go through one cheapo plastic keyboard every show. Gets smashed in a fireball during the encores.

When you play Burning Down the House? :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

We go through one cheapo plastic keyboard every show. Gets smashed in a fireball during the encores.

When you play Burning Down the House? :laugh:

It's during Rammstein's "Pussy", actually.

And it's obviously not the keyboard I play the MainStage setup from.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Were probably doing a SouthPark themed Halloween next year. Ill keep that idea in mind! Though Ive elected to do Kenny (set 1), die and come back as Butters. Singer is a perfect shoein for Cartman, and his name is Eric too. He can destroy a meowsic keyboard.

Bad kitteh!

[video:youtube]

John Entwistle is like .... Nobody is breaking my bass. :D

At the end of this performance but cutoff from the clip, Tom Smothers says to Dick Can I borrow your bass?

I think this is when Townsend blew out an eardrum - too close to the kick drum when its pyro went off.

You can only do that twice.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

Cool.

Also, imagine what it could do if you learned it.

Oh, I assure you that Ive taken the time to acquaint myself and fully explore the potential of this stage prop.

I do believe in limiting myself to whats appropriate to the job, though.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

I think this is when Townsend blew out an eardrum - too close to the kick drum when its pyro went off.

You can only do that twice.

Naw, eardrums grow back. You can only do it twice every 6 months tho!

*I've only ruptured mine from illness, not from SPL. Obviously it's not the drum you're really worried about, it's the stereocilia.