Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Getting maximum Piano clarity out of Casio S3000

I have played my S3000 for over 12 hours now using just the piano patches. Mostly stride piano left hand and bebop-ish right hand playing. The real discovery for me has been the very equal clarity across the entire range of the 004 Stage Piano. Its by far my favorite for performance and touch response. The 001 Grand Piano is nice but clunkier in the middle register and takes more velocity to play. Surround 1 produces the greatest clarity. However, my favorite, 004 Stage Piano, is too bright as is, so the S3000 has the big advantage of assigning Brightness to Knob 1. This allowed me to take the edge off and save it to a Register. I can adjust the Brightness Knob on the fly in the future as needed for different rooms. The Reverb is is set to Hall 3 on every Piano in the Casio. So thats obviously too much and Room 2 is just about realistic sounding. That is what Ive assigned to Knob 2 so then it can be adjusted on the fly to taste. The lack of 2 programmable knobs for EQ and Reverb would leave me frustrated with a S-1000 model. Also, Cant get a good clean tone vintage Rhodes on the S 1000 but I sure can on the S 3000. I highly recommend the S3000 over the S1000 model.

Getting a clean tone Rhodes and 88800000 organ on Casio S-3000

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jazz +

You mention " clunkiness" in the middle register. I had commented ( perhaps) on this in a previous post.

My experience when I demoed the PXS 1000 was this. When I played tones in the A5/ B5/ C5 register ( the main grand piano sample) there was a definite " hollowness" or " plunkiness " to the sound, particularly at soft volume levels.

This is typical of previous Casio models that I have played.

The new Casio models have received a lot of attention on this forum.

It is somewhat taboo to mention potential deal breakers on this forum. It kind of reminds me of the chorus vibrato issues concerning clonewheels.

I am trying to be careful about discussing this, because it could be considerd disrespectful of the the many Casio owners, and also because Mike Martin is such an active and respected member of the forum.

I have spoken to Casio about this for years at the NAMM show. When I played the Celviano home piano, the piano sample seemed to be quite different than the portable models ( sound wise).

So I am hoping the PXS 3000 addresses this, or that maybe you have found a solution. I would bet you know what I am talking about at least.

The trick is to use Theo's convolution algorithms on the frippertygibbit franzoid tutus.
Ah, the THEOlogist routine. How could I have forgotten that.

Its Linux-based multiband compression. Open up your ears!

Without these studio tricks, music sucks!

I have spoken to Casio about this for years at the NAMM show. When I played the Celviano home piano, the piano sample seemed to be quite different than the portable models ( sound wise).

The technology and piano sample between the Privia and Celviano models (with the exception of the Grand Hybrid) has always been the same. The only difference being furniture and speaker systems.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I love my PX-S3000 piano. The Grand Piano 001 is not clunky, it was a poor choice of words in my previous post. What I meant is it's just different in the mid register than the Stage Piano 004. The Grand 001 is woodier, denser, especially when using the internal speakers. So, I think that's why they made the 004 Stage Piano: for live performance. The Stage 004 is very clean cut, less organic, less mids than the Grand 001, the touch sensitivity is a little lighter too. I think which piano works best live will vary a lot for different environments, amplification, and styles of music, etc. Both are great pianos and I am pleased with having both.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

It must have been the grand hybrid that I played. I wss directed to it after speaking to one of the reps at the Casio booth at NAMM.

My favorite Casio product is still the WK 3000 series portable. It is fairly incredible to me that some of the woodwind sounds come out of a board that is at least 12 or 13 years old. And the WK drawbar organ tones are still very good and useful, but the percussion is not.

I have not heard the additional sounds on the PXS 3000 yet, and I bet some of them are quite good.