Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another Kronos Sampling Thread

Several of us have mentioned this from time to time, but I feel like a weakness of the Kronos is just he whole sampling process and in particular file management....to the point that I really avoid sampling. I could probably do a lot more if I sampled more. By the same token, BECAUSE I don't sample much, it gets to be that much more of a learning curve every time I do it!.

I've managed to come up with a process that works, but there are still things that confuse me. My basic method now, if I want to add new samples, is to clear sample memory, do the new samples and create a MS and program, save all samples, add the _userbank file to the autoload, then cycle power to see if it works.

Funny thing though - and I discovered this because I clicked to fast and over wrote a previous .KSC file and had to re-do it. Even though you clear sample memory, the sample locations when you select samples in sampler mode are still there. I still have all kinds of duplicate sample file locations even if it doesn't actually load samples there. What a mess. At least I found a system that works when I start it up and play my samples, even if it looks super messy under the hood.

edit....and I typed this as it was rebooting, and got "samples not loaded". Lovely.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez, so I completely recreated the samples again, and this time they loaded, but I had reversed them all and they were forward instead of reverse. How does that happen? FFS, if it sounds right when I save it, it should sound right when it loads back in. What a PITA!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

OK, so if I clear memory and load the full .KSC file, the samples play in reverse like intended. If I reboot and autoload the _userbank.ksc file, they aren't reverse. WTF? Not sure where to go from here.

Dan

UGH! so frustrating. Recreated the whole thing. Either I get forward samples or no samples. At one point I deleted every single file that had anything to do with what I had worked on, and when saving it said "file already exists". Maybe I should start from scratch and name it something completely different. I'm only trying to load 5 samples I did on my computer to 5 keys except reverse them...not rocket science.

Dan

Rebooting now....maybe the problem was not "write global settings" but my other set of samples worked without doing that. Anyway, this time I deleted all references to the old failed attempt and instead of naming the same, I chose new names. Fingers crossed.

UGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! STILL!!! not reverse. WTF! so sick of this!

Dan

At the point that once I get he Kronos playing the reverse samples, I may just record them that way with an external device and sample back it. Such a huge pain in the ass. I really hate Korg's sampling system as long as I've been so unfortunate as to have to work with it. It totally sucks. Akai was my first sampler and was great. The Alesis Fusion was great. Korg sucks.

Dan

For those of you know know the crazy korg system of samples, KSF, KSC, userbank vs fully loaded, etc..... If I unload memory and replace all with the full KSC file so that it's fully loaded in memory, it works. But when I try to use the _userbank.ksc file, it doesn't. It seems to me like I've tried the same thing over and over yet sometimes samples just don't load, other times they do, but they aren't reversed like I want, even though before rebooting they always work.

Dan

My guess is that it cant play back samples reversed when you are streaming the samples off the SSD, which is what the userbank is doing. When loaded fully into RAM its no problem. So save it as a regular .ksc file and set it to auto-load. You can easily add new samples to an existing set, just have all your samples/multi samples in memory (RAM), create the new ones, and then save all your sample data as a new .ksc file. I do this all the time, no problems.

Jerry

Jerry

That was it, thanks. How stupid of me to think it would save the sample as edited. So to not chew up my RAM, I need to reverse the sample in software before loading into the Kronos. Just another reason to absolutely never do any sampling or sample editing in the Kronos. Rule of thumb is always use something else to get your samples exactly the way you want them before attempting to load them in the Kronos.

Dan

I admit I've been scared off trying to sample into the Kronos by the various threads over the years - I just blow them into the Nord Wave using the very-simple Nord Sample Editor program. But I want to be able to perform all this on the Kronos.

So it seems like there's two major tasks:

1) Getting the samples edited, polished and formatted for import

2) Getting the sample imported into the Kronos (without losing any other samples already being used)

Is this correct?

If so, I presume Chicken Systems Translator will handle the first part.

Then the trouble is understanding the Kronos file management system sufficiently to have a best practice workflow for import?

Tim

Initial import is usually OK, it's just making sure that they load back in on reboot and point to the program that's using them.

Also, I learned early on the hard way that before you save any new samples, unless you want to overwrite the existing KSC file, you have to remove existing samples from memory. For a while, I was creating new samples, saving it to a new file name and adding it to the autoload list so that the same samples were getting loaded multiple times.

One nice feature that was added was the ability to stream samples without loading the whole thing into memory, but as I just found out, apparently it has limitations.

Dan