Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Endgame (WARNING: Spoilers)

I think we ought to be able to talk about the movie in this thread.

I agree. It's deep enough into the thread that if you haven't seen it don't click on the damn thread!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 of my all time 'Oh shit!' moments:

#1) Cap using Thor's Hammer. I lost it as did the whole theatre. Even though we know he can do that from the comics and it was hinted at in Ultron, nobody was expecting to see that!!

#2) The Fortnite scene with Korg and Meek. I was dying.

#3) Cap vs Cap in the same outfit.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

i'm ok if you spoil it. i havent seen it so i can't be blamed :)

I do know about someone dying via my son. i think that was predictable and non-spoiling as long as i don't name names.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Having interest in the film is a reason to click on a thread about a film. It does not imply you know people will ruin your experience of the film.

The "well duh don't click on the thread" is the same mentality as saying don't dress up if you don't want to be molested.

One does not justify the other.

Sure you are dying to do something. If that were all that mattered there would be anarchy everywhere.

There are considerate ways to talk about something absent of spoiling it for other people.

The SPOILER tag ought to appeal to comic book movie fans. It is kind of like exchanging secret codes stashed behind a wall.

Or we can use the Spoiler tag like I did above. :wave:

Cool trick... how do you do it?

just wrap the text you want to hide with the tags

[ spoiler ] text to hide [/ spoiler ]

without the spaces inside the brackets, of course. You can also access this tag on the Full Reply Screen, which we all forget is there. :D

Thanks, Joe... I thought I'd hovered over every option as I looked there, but I obviously missed that one.

Having interest in the film is a reason to click on a thread about a film. It does not imply you know people will ruin your experience of the film.

The "well duh don't click on the thread" is the same mentality as saying don't dress up if you don't want to be molested.

One does not justify the other.

I agree with your first point, but the molestation comment is a bit of an extreme analogy. Simply put, if something's talking about Endgame, you have to assume they're talking about the movie, and if you don't want to know details you either proceed with caution or skip it and come back later.

Aside from the obvious spoilers, here's one of my favorite twists in the movie:

When the 2014 Nebula detects the 2019 Nebula and is able to read her memory banks and leak the Avengers' plans to Thanos.

One of my friends at work mentioned he went to a bowling alley near a movie theatre this past weekend. Naturally, they draw in some customers that have just went to the movie. One of the parties in a lane near my friend's lane started talking Endgame. The wait staff came by and pointed out signs that stated no discussing Endgame, and that management will kick you out if you do. I thought that was pretty cool of the establishment.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

A couple of my favorite moments.

Cap getting the scepter was hilarious. Im thinking, this could be awesome, the elevator scene was one of my favorites, and then he just goes, hail Hydra!

Later, when he was fighting himself, screwing with younger Cap by saying, "Bucky's alive!" so he could knock himself out was just great. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I forgot about that second one! Yeah, that whole sequence was fantastic. Overall, I loved it. There were just a couple of character arcs and moments

specifically Hulk/Banner resolution and Black Widow's sacrifice

that I didn't quite ease into, but the plot needed to move, so ...

Meanwhile, the big three (Iron Man, Thor, and Cap) were handled as well as I could have hoped. They also spent more time than I expected developing

Nebula's

arc. Excited to see where that goes.

It's a movie that starts and ends around themes of family and loss, as most of the Avengers movies do, and that's the human story that keeps people coming back.

I make software noises.

The MCU has always used great music. I remember a Thor movie that had a tune that was pretty cool in an early scene....

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Also, this is a keyboard forum... is no one else going to mention STEVE WINWOOD like five minutes in!?!?

I uncontrollably uttered "OH HELL YEAH!" when that kicked off.

I actually made a mental note to bring up that tune as one to try in our band. When our singer/bandleader (who doesn't watch movies) says "nobody will have heard that in forever", I'll say "wanna bet?" I've made a similar case for several tunes featured in the Guardians movies. When you have a van full of 11-year-olds singing Fox on the Run--a tune that they should NOT have ever heard, by any reasonable standard--you know something odd is going on in the world....

The MCU has always used great music. I remember a Thor movie that had a tune that was pretty cool in an early scene....

;):whistle:

The pretty much universally ranked 2nd worst of all the Marvel flicks ahead of The Incredible Hulk. Alas. Cool that they revisited this movie in Endgame.

Immigrant Song definitely worked for me in Ragnarok - my favorite Marvel movie until the release of the Infinity War/ Endgame duology. Now it's #3.

Nirvana and No Doubt not so much in Captain Marvel. Just didn't feel right - like they were trying too hard to pull a Guardians and work some nostalgia in there somehow.

I assume Joe meant Immigrant Song from Ragnarok.

At the same time I appreciate the (infinity) stones on the writers to get us to revisit Dark World. :D

I know with 98% certainty he meant Thor: Dark World

Nirvana and No Doubt not so much in Captain Marvel. Just didn't feel right - like they were trying too hard to pull a Guardians and work some nostalgia in there somehow.

I enjoyed that part! Perfect 90s-era music plus "I'm Just a Girl" was an obvious 'girl power' nod.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

I assume Joe meant Immigrant Song from Ragnarok.

At the same time I appreciate the (infinity) stones on the writers to get us to revisit Dark World. :D

I know with 98% certainty he meant Thor: Dark World

You're 2% wrong because I 100% meant Dark World. :thu:

Finally saw "Endgame" and thoroughly enjoyed it. Does it sport numerous WTH gaps and twists? Sure. Is it a major fanboy handjob? Sure is. That's how the entire series was designed. The makers deserve a lot of credit for maintaining the basic quality of the entire arc, especially since most viewers won't know or care about years of Marvel print lore. You either like the tones of the separate flicks or you don't. Together, they form a major Wagnerian pop-opera. Thor is very operatic, whaddaya expect? I also lightly defend "The Incredible Hulk." It was the FIRST Marvel movie that had all of the now-expected traits like Easter eggs, good punctuating jokes and credit stingers. The problem: The Hulk's story is one of unending misery for the guy. He works far better in a team. He can't even screw his G/F without, um, er, well, just imagine that change in mid-coitus. OOPS! :taz::D

I encourage you to check out the Wikipedia entry on the Marvel soundtracks here:

Marvel soundtracks

For a fun lark, check out this video of a guy showing his white-haired granny the first "Avengers" movie. I dare you not to share in her flat-footed amusement. :laugh:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

In your estimation, which movies are a must watch prior to seeing End Game?

IMHO, the REQUIRED prequel movies are "Captain America: Civil War", "Thor: Ragnarok", & of course "Avengers: Infinity War".

To the highly suggested 'Honorable Mentions' I would add "Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol.2" & "Spiderman: Homecoming" ....and the first "Avengers" movie!

:snax:

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

In your estimation, which movies are a must watch prior to seeing End Game?

All of them except The Incredible Hulk really.

But I suppose you could leave these out:

The Incredible Hulk

Thor 1

Iron Man 2

Ant Man 1

Guardians Of the Galaxy 2

Everything else has stuff that directly impacts what is going on in Infinity War and Endgame.

Wow, Ragnorok I could see (though you'd be wondering who a few characters were) but not seeing Infinity War would make for some confusion :) Plus it's one of the best Marvel movies IMO, Thor and Groot at the Star Forge alone made the movie for me!

FTR, I didn't see Ragnarok or Infinity War and was able to enjoy (and mostly understand) Endgame.

This is good news because I plan to take someone this weekend who has not seen Infinity War. She's interested because of all the buzz.

If I had any quibbles about Endgame, it was the convoluted story about having to steal the Tessaract twice. The only purpose I could see was to make sure Loki was available for the Mouse House's new Disney+ streaming service. They had to figure out a way for him to be alive for a new series - and because he wasn't killed by the Decimation he would have remained really truly dead otherwise.

Maybe I'll be more at peace with it after a second viewing.

Today, 11 years ago, Iron Man (1) premiered in theaters and the whole thing began. :thu:

I just saw it yesterday, it was great! I've seen all of the MCU movies several times and I can't imagine seeing this without knowing what's happened before. What has impressed me over the years was the continuity. Marvel kept total control over the whole thing so we never got the disjointed timelines/plots we got from so many other famous sequels.

I will say since it's a 3 hour movie some parts were hard to follow even for a fan like me. The reason for that is they really brought in pretty much everybody from all the previous movies and that's a big group. I have quibbles like many but still, it's a great movie.

I'll give away one slight point that I don't think is a spoiler. Don't bother waiting through all the credits at the end to see another famous hint of the next movie. This time there's isn't one which makes sense since they've said for years this was the end of the 11 year arc. There were still some die hards like me who stuck around just in case.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

You're right that there's no post-credits scene, just an audio snippet ;)
Yes, and I thought it was awesome. The other day when I watched the movie from which that came and that scene and sound happened, I really felt it. *snif*

Bob - there are a couple of minor continuity changes or issues that did happen over the years, but the producers are well aware of them. Here goes!

The post-credits scene at the end of the Edward Norton Hulk movie where Stark tells General Ross about the Avengers, and in Iron Man 2 when hes not one.

The post-credits scene in Avengers when Thanos is excited about courting Death. Im not familiar with the comics, but I believe thats a reference to what Thanos original story was supposed to be based on, that he wanted to meet Death, the character. Or something like that.

Thors bleached eyebrows in the first Thor movie! :roll: Feige recently admitted that was a mistake.

But overall, youre right. I have seen them all several times as well and theyve done a great job making everything work together. Im looking forward to Far From Home, and whatever is next.