Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

JR does his 2019 live rig rundown

I seem to remember before the Korg wasn't he a big Kurzweil supporter and/or maybe endorsee?

he actually was employed by Kurzweil back in 2000/2001, not sure about before that time. He did the NAMM demos for Kurzweil ; Mike Martin and I were both sales reps for Kurz at that time. Then along came Dave Weiser. :2thu:

Jordan was a clinician for Korg first. Back in my music retail days, Jordan came through did a Korg clinic at the store I worked at. Korg T-series plus introduction of the 01/W and the Wavestation. I have a DAT recording of the whole thing which I recently found and shared with Jordan. I'll get it online it is rather amazing actually.

Then Jordan became a Kurzweil clinician in the K2000/K2500 days. That turned into a full time gig for a couple years I believe. He was playing Kurzweil when he started with Dream Theater and continued to have a K2600 on stage until the Kronos I believe.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I wonder why he´s using the Space Heater,- which is just only a "starved plate" (low voltage) 12AX7 design per channel...

A.C.

It was my understanding the Space Heater is more than just only a starved plate distortion device.

good to see the KL-8 in the wild!

also notice the iLoud monitors on top of the Hammond organ. These things amaze me with how good (and loud) they sound for as small as they are.

Ahh ok I was wondering what they were - I'd assumed they were just shitty PC speakers to use outside of performance time. Will check em out.

It was my understanding the Space Heater is more than just only a starved plate distortion device.

I said because ...

Quote from Radial website:

"...,with a heat switch on each pair to adjust the voltage on the 12AX7 tube - lower voltage settings starve the tube for a more pronounced distortion effect."

And I think this is what it does when the heavy distortion effects for prog metal are the target.

I know it can be used different, but then it´s more subtle in the sense of a summing amp for DAW and probably inaudible in a "prog metal" live scenario.

But can also be the XK-5´s dual tube starved plate overdrive sounds like s##t always and the Radial´s is some improvement.

Who knows ?

A.C.

I feel the XK-5 is overkill on this gig - although it may very well have the nicest action as an organ controller.

Doesn´t matter when being endorsed, isn´t it ?

For running it through the Space Heater and using the Vent and Line6 FX - the CX3 engine on the Kronos would have been fine as the source organ tone. YMMV

Well, I wonder why he´s using the Space Heater...

He likes the sound, maybe?

I'm going through this right now with my progressive metal band, evaluating some amp or overdrive to use primarily for solos, but maybe with the CX3 engine as well. Goal is not necessarily to get traditional Hammond sound, but to get really gritty nasty sounds that cut.

I've been going back and forth between the idea of a tube amp or pedal vs modelling. For now I've been using my old Line 6 Pod and playing with different models and settings. Leaning towards getting the Line6 HX Stomp because it has all of their latest models with MIDI control and 3 assignable footswitches that I could use for things like Boost for a lead or to pull an effect in/out. Although there is still some appeal to having just an OD that is what it is and make that my signature distortion that I can use as needed.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

He likes the sound, maybe?

Yeah, maybe ... but why ?

I´d be interested knowing HOW he´s using the Space heater unit,- not IF.

I see the 2 KL-8s, probably cascaded, in his rack.

That´s where his mix is done and goes out to FOH and his in-ears and probably the little IK iMonitors too.

The Space Heater is 8-ch. mono or 4 ch. stereo.

I wonder if everything he uses as sound sources is running thru Space Heater, probably in stereo and using individual channels, then into the KL-8s,- the Space Heater in hi voltage mode,- quasi warming/fatten up the stereo output signals of his sound sources.

Or,- if he uses it in low voltage mode for the pronounced overdrive and in mono patched into the FX-loop I/O on the XK-5 and before it runs into the Neo Vent II.

And WHEN Space Heater´s channels are individually switchable betwen low- and hi-voltage modes,- he might use the other 3 stereo channels like mentioned above ?

Another scenario might be the KL-8s go into the Space Heater,- each in stereo.

It´s an expensive piece of gear, so it´s interesting to know what it really does and if it´s some esoteric result or something clearly audible pleasing the (average Joe´s) ears in a loud gigging scenario still.

A.C.

[

I see the 2 KL-8s, probably cascaded, in his rack.

A.C.

I think in the video he say's one of the KL8's is a back up unit. Maybe he has the space heater as an insert as on his Line 6 unit? Like he does with the ventilator.

Rudy

Dang, I want a blue Kronos... Looks like they may have used the same paint pattern as the "splash of red" Kronos SE.

...and for the record, our very own Eric had the first stand that did the keyboard-tilting thing. :2thu:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I wonder if everything he uses as sound sources is running thru Space Heater, probably in stereo and using individual channels, then into the KL-8s,- the Space Heater in hi voltage mode,- quasi warming/fatten up the stereo output signals of his sound sources.

Or,- if he uses it in low voltage mode for the pronounced overdrive and in mono patched into the FX-loop I/O on the XK-5 and before it runs into the Neo Vent II.

And WHEN Space Heater´s channels are individually switchable betwen low- and hi-voltage modes,- he might use the other 3 stereo channels like mentioned above ?

Another scenario might be the KL-8s go into the Space Heater,- each in stereo.

It´s an expensive piece of gear, so it´s interesting to know what it really does and if it´s some esoteric result or something clearly audible pleasing the (average Joe´s) ears in a loud gigging scenario still.

Al, the combination of space heater, neo ventilator and line 6 helix, looks very interesting for JR's distorted tones. No way of how telling how JR is getting the components to interact and perhaps it changes from patch to patch. He is a very precise sound-designer. Still it seems like a huge step up in complexity from a time when a single keyboard's onboard dsp was sufficient to carry the day. I'd love to learn more.

Space Heater is not a low voltage unit Al.

Each of the 8 x Channels has 35v/70v and 140v options.

Using 35v with extra drive is my favorite, but in the Channel HX-3 goes 140v with no drive gets you a Marshall sound and a warm tone so you can avoid using HX-3s Tube gain which alters full drawbar settings too much for my taste.

I actually love radials Tube renditions. Bought their Marshall Plex first because Vent and Gas just werent cutting it for what I like.

VSTs and Romplers get really nice thick wooly sounds with the Space Heater.

Its not a total necessity and pricey, but on gigs where it a drummer, VOX, bass and you with no Guitar it really adds such a confident dynamic.

You know your sound is thick and its nice feeling the meat from behind the mains.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

...and for the record, our very own Eric had the first stand that did the keyboard-tilting thing. :2thu:

Thanks for the shout out! I believe I do have the first one, dating back further than this picture collage. Mine is not motorized.

6pNty9z.jpg