Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

EQD Erupter Fuzz... ?

I'm considering an EarthQuaker Devices Erupter Fuzz. What I'd like to know is, just how sensitive and responsive is it to volume changes at the input- will it yield a noticeable difference in character and fuzz and gain during the ramp-up of short, quick volume-swells produced by either my VFE BumbleBee (think improved Boss SG-2 "Slow-Gear" + optical compressor), my optical-circuit volume-pedal, or guitar volume-knob "pinky-swells"?

If so, I think I'd like one! If not, I already have a number of cool fuzzes and octave-fuzzes that generally work better WITHOUT most other pedals in front of them, and there are other fuzzes that I might want first for different uses... Waddya say?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Alas, I haven"t gotten my hands on the EQD Eruptor, just the Hoof Reaper and one or two of the Disaster Transports.

Never seen an Amptweaker in the wild.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Someday, I want a good fuzz that's really dynamically responsive, "cleaning-up" very well, that can also work fine placed after my VFE Bumble Bee. I want touch-controlled volume-swells on individual notes in fairly brisk lead and fill lines, with fuzz ramping up and down with each swelled note, going from cleaner to fuzzier. I need overdrive, distortion, and fuzz pedals that can do that.

@Caevan - Haven't tried any of the EQD Fuzz pedals, as yet, although I thought of you in connection with their Terminal Fuzz, a re-creation of your favorite Shin-Ei Fuzz, IIRC.

My current mainstay Fuzz is a bright pink Mojo Hand Iron Bell. There are several versions of the artwork on the body, all of which refer to Pink Floyd's DSOTM. It has Tone and Color (mid-range) knobs, along with the classic Volume and Sustain. It works very nicely with my SG's.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Thanks, WP! :cool:

Now, I do already have a number of great, versatile, widely varied fuzzes;

what I need here, is,

a fuzz that, unlike many fuzzes, especially 'vintage-style' fur bearing critters,

can be placed AFTER my VFE BumbleBee (think improved Boss SG-2 "Slow-Gear" + optical compressor), and/or my active/powered optical-circuit volume-pedal,

and that's really dynamically responsive, yielding a very noticeable difference in character and fuzz and gain during the ramp-up of short, quick volume-swells, as well as picking-dynamics. I want touch-controlled volume-swells (courtesy of my BumbleBee and volume pedal and knobs) on individual notes in fairly brisk lead and fill lines, with fuzz ramping up and down with each swelled note, rapidly going from 'clean-ish' cleaner to fuzzier.

I need overdrive, distortion, and fuzz pedals (as well as amps) that can do that with my volume-swells.

Thanks, WP! :cool:

Now, I do already have a number of great, versatile, widely varied fuzzes;

what I need here, is,

a fuzz that, unlike many fuzzes, especially 'vintage-style' fur bearing critters,

can be placed AFTER my VFE BumbleBee (think improved Boss SG-2 "Slow-Gear" + optical compressor), and/or my active/powered optical-circuit volume-pedal,

and that's really dynamically responsive, yielding a very noticeable difference in character and fuzz and gain during the ramp-up of short, quick volume-swells, as well as picking-dynamics. I want touch-controlled volume-swells (courtesy of my BumbleBee and volume pedal and knobs) on individual notes in fairly brisk lead and fill lines, with fuzz ramping up and down with each swelled note, rapidly going from 'clean-ish' cleaner to fuzzier.

I need overdrive, distortion, and fuzz pedals (as well as amps) that can do that with my volume-swells.

I always have an Attack Delay/Swell effect in my signal chain, so I get what you're after. I also use pick attack and right-hand touch for volume and dynamic control. Music with no dynamic shift is either boring or exhausting.

I'll experiment a bit later today to see if the Iron Bell is sensitive to the swell effect, or is just On as soon as it gets any hint of input signal. To answer a question with a question, however, how does your Amp respond to Swell FX, if you have it set for some OD?

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Most of my current stable (unstable? ;) ) of fur and velcro stompery don't get along so well with most other pedals in front of them, not uncommon for fuzzes; and my BumbleBee is VERY "active" and NOT particularly 'vintage-y', if you will, having both the swell-circuit AND an optical-circuit based compressor under the hood...

I'll experiment a bit later today to see if the Iron Bell is sensitive to the swell effect, or is just On as soon as it gets any hint of input signal. To answer a question with a question, however, how does your Amp respond to Swell FX, if you have it set for some OD?

My not-exactly-trusty but beloved old Carvin Vintage 33 does; just how well, depends on just how I have the "Soak", or pre-gain, set, as well as the EQ controls, which may seem a bit unusual- AND where I have my guitar's volume-knobs set, controlling the overall gain and clean-to-dirty character. For maximum dynamic sensitivity and response that makes it feel as if my fingertips are against the paper of the speaker-cone, I set Soak from 10:00 O'Clock to "11:45", Bass MAXED, Middle at 11:00 O'Clock or so, Treble MAXED, (Master) Volume from 10:00 O'Clock to "Noon". This all also allows me to get the best ability to "play the amp" and go from clean to mean to scream to "Beam me up, Scotty" (the latter with a little pedal assist ;) ) using my guitar's volume-controls and my "touch", and/or my volume-pedal or my fabulous BumbleBee "swell" pedal.

My Egnater rebel 30 MkII? Not so much the same way, unless I set its myriad controls (including Watts for each channel, and "Tube Mix" between EL84's and 6V6's) up for overdriving its Clean Channel, which I rarely do, relying on that Channel for clean-tones and pedals, including fuzzes, overdrives, and distortion. Its Overdrive Channel is a bit wonky, possibly due to a combination of tube issues, possible electronic-component issues, bias, Idunno yet... It never did do the "play the amp" thing well at all, especially compared to the stellar response of the Carvin...

Speaking of pedals, my rather gainy, 'modded-Marshall' flavored two-channel Radial Tonebone Plexitube pedal is a little thus responsive this way to the BumbleBee's swells; someday I might get their more Fendery two-channel Trimode pedal, which is supposed to be somewhat similar enough yet considerably more dynamically-responsive...