Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP88/CP73

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried out the Yamaha CP88 yesterday and with the sound off the mechanical key noise was outrageously loud,,at this price point you shouldn't have to settle,,,,

Has anyone else heard this?

No!

It may actually be the stand.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I tried out the Yamaha CP88 yesterday and with the sound off the mechanical key noise was outrageously loud,,at this price point you shouldn't have to settle,,,,

Has anyone else heard this?

I just played a CP88 and a Nord Piano 4 side by side, and they're virtually identical. I call shenanigans on our newest member.

Tried one out just a little over a week ago. Keys were heavier than I like but not loud. With a Cube amp on the floor several feet below my ears at low volume. I second the suggestion that it might be the stand. Otherwise it's definitely not very noticeable with even a little sound going.

Or you're one of those people who I despise. Hope for your sake you're not. :D And I own keyboards from all big three.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

You do realise that if you 'turned off the strings' in an acoustic piano there'd be noise as well?

maybe you should try playing with the sound turned on. :idk

Might not bother you as much. :)

^^^^^^^^^

THIS x1000000

Thank you for restoring perspective to this topic, Aidan and dave d!

And that should end the whining about this FOREVER!

No response from our newest poster....

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Not taking sides here...just pointing out that my Kronos 88 key noise was quite loud. My RD-2000 by comparison is very quiet. I remember that the Motif 88s I had were equally loud. Play any weighted keyboard without any sound output and take note. Playing quiet passages when in a studio setting make some keyboard actions unnecessarily stand out.

Please dont respond that the audio or midi output does not pick any of this up when recording or that it is irrelevant when playing live...we all know that.

Use the tools you like and inspire you...

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

When I worked for Kurzweil I used to explain this endlessly. And I didn't mind as it's not an unreasonable question especially for those new to digital keyboards with hammer actions. It's a mechanical thing transferring physical energy into a box via plastic and/or wooden keys. It's gonna make noise unless you're floating in the endless void of outer space.

Having said all that, the mechanical noise that's emitted by the Fatar TP100 (used in several products that I worked on) is just about the most offensive thing I've ever heard, a true affront to decency. *Almost* worse than Chick Corea's Light Years album. :P

Having said all that, the mechanical noise that's emitted by the Fatar TP100 (used in several products that I worked on) is just about the most offensive thing I've ever heard,

This is pretty true. The main virtue of the TP100 is how little weight it adds to the keyboard. So, consistent with that, it's typically its housed in a lightweight casing which reverberates a lot, amplifying the mechanical noise of the action. Exhibit A is the Nord Electro HP.

The CP88 mechanism is not unusually loud imo. Middle of the pack. The CP73 action is exceptionally quiet, which had a little (not much) to do with my purchasing decision. Mostly I got it for it's portability, but it's a bonus that a lightweight portable weighted action keyboard can have a quiet action.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Jeez, this topic comes up all the time on the forums I cruise. Pardon my annoyance?

You're emulating a physical instrument. There's stuff moving around. There's gonna be some noise as a result. Every action that I've ever played has had some degree of physical action noise, including organs, synths, clavs, etc.

If you've ever played a pipe organ (for example) there's action noise everywhere. Not to mention huge latency. All part of the charm.

An extreme case? I have a nice Bosie 200 sitting in my living room. There's physical action noise. It's a piano, right?

And I love it.

I've never, ever played an action where I thought that noise was a factor. OK, maybe a cheapo low-end instruments that were poorly constructed, but that's not the case here. And those low-end toys had other issues.

If you're serious about your concern, I'd suggest you re-evaluate. If you're trolling, I'd suggest you move on.

Cheers!

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I played the CP88 last week and was not happy with the key noise as well. JM0! The action seemed a little slow for me. The stand was not a factor in my situation.

Maybe I should clarify my statement I thought the action was good but I guess I was used to the RD 2000 and most would agree it is one of the best keybeds regardless if you like the piano sounds or not. Having said that it played and sounded really well. I compared it to the noise on the RD 2000 beside it and was slightly louder but would not be a deal breaker for me because it is a top notch stage piano. If you think noisy I tried the MODX 88 and I would consider that keybed noisy but I was pleasantly suprised that I warmed up to some of the FM sounds. All keybeds are noisy somewhat but in the end it's what you prefer and I am so glad that we are different in our compromises that what makes this forum informative and btw I have learned so much from some of the members on the forum.

The main virtue of the TP100 is how little weight it adds to the keyboard. So, consistent with that, it's typically its housed in a lightweight casing which reverberates a lot, amplifying the mechanical noise of the action. Exhibit A is the Nord Electro HP.

The CP88 mechanism is not unusually loud imo. Middle of the pack. The CP73 action is exceptionally quiet, which had a little (not much) to do with my purchasing decision. Mostly I got it for it's portability, but it's a bonus that a lightweight portable weighted action keyboard can have a quiet action.

I'm really wanting a non-TP100 73/76 portable hammer action. How would you characterize your CP73 in terms of playability?

I really enjoy the TP40L on the Forte 7. For me it's light, fast, fluid, and not sluggish. Hoping the CP73 is very similar. Thx

The main virtue of the TP100 is how little weight it adds to the keyboard. So, consistent with that, it's typically its housed in a lightweight casing which reverberates a lot, amplifying the mechanical noise of the action. Exhibit A is the Nord Electro HP.

I'm really wanting a non-TP100 73/76 portable hammer action. How would you characterize your CP73 in terms of playability?

I really enjoy the TP40L on the Forte 7. For me it's light, fast, fluid, and not sluggish. Hoping the CP73 is very similar. Thx

I commented on the CP73 action in the main CP88/73 thread. But I'll comment here as well. To me, it comes down to whether you need your best AP technic. The CP88 is far better for that than the 73. To my fingers, it feels like the critical difference is the pivot point. The 88 is an excellent keyboard for maximizing AP chops. The 73 is more middlin' in that regard, not bad, but not particularly good, and quite a ways behind the 88.

If your gigs focuses on EPs rather than APs, the 73 fairs much better, which I guess is a way of saying it does better when a premium action isn't needed.

I haven't played the Forte 7, so can't compare. "Light, fast, and fluid" are all words I'd use to describe the CP73, which is why it works well for EPs. What bothers a lot of people about the TP100 is the feeling of "pushing through" some resistance at the top of the stroke. The CP73 has none of that.

The tricky thing for me, owning both a Crumar Seven and a CP73, is going back and forth between them, because the actions are so different. If I focus my practicing on one of them, I can get to a point where I'm comfortable and not hindered by the action. But then if I switch to the other, I'm stumbling for awhile.

I have the Nord Stage 2/76 HA, which is the TP40 action and had the CP73 side by side for a few days. For me the CP73 action was not on the same level. Not bad, but i like the TP40 much better. Its faster and feels more solid. But in comparison to the TP100, which i played several times on a Nord Stage 3 HP, i liked the CP73 better.

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

The Nord Stage 2 76 HA is 36 lbs, 8 lbs more than the CP73 and 5 lbs less than the CP88. The Forte 7 is 41 lbs. I think the typical purchaser of a CP73 is someone who's looking for a sub-30 lb weighted action keyboard specifically because they want that level of portability. The CP73's action is quite good for being as portable as it is. But if the portability isn't that important, I'd steer towards the CP88 or something else with a fancier key action.

I have the Nord Stage 2/76 HA, which is the TP40 action and had the CP73 side by side for a few days. For me the CP73 action was not on the same level. Not bad, but i like the TP40 much better. Its faster and feels more solid. But in comparison to the TP100, which i played several times on a Nord Stage 3 HP, i liked the CP73 better.

This is specifically what I was looking for! CP73 action is not on the same level as the TP40L, but likely feels better than a TP100.

I'm on a hunt for a NS2 HA76. I've had 2 purchases in the last week fall through because the NS2 wasn't actually available.

The Nord Stage 2 76 HA is 36 lbs, 8 lbs more than the CP73 and 5 lbs less than the CP88. The Forte 7 is 41 lbs. I think the typical purchaser of a CP73 is someone who's looking for a sub-30 lb weighted action keyboard specifically because they want that level of portability. The CP73's action is quite good for being as portable as it is. But if the portability isn't that important, I'd steer towards the CP88 or something else with a fancier key action.

Thanks, but I'm specifically looking for 73/76 keyboard. More specifically, something around 44" wide or less, so that rules out large 76 keyboards with the pitch and mod wheels to the left of the keys instead of above.

The NS2 HA76 at 36 pounds is 5 pounds heavier than my Kronos 61, so it's at the upper end of what I'd tolerate gigging regularly.

I'm going to be patient for a couple months and hope for a NS2. If not, the CP73 is readily available as a compromise.

I bought a used (just 180euro) Studiologic VMK-188 plus with Fatar TP40GH action (Grand Touch, Four Zones Graded Hammer Action) for my private rehearsal studio, so I can constantly play with hammer action keys on rehearsals along with my MX61 sounds. If I get used to play on hammer action every week, I will consider buying the CP73 as the all-in-one portable live keyboard.