Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread

I got a CP73. I'm trying to ramp up my gigging, and want to be able to roll with a 1 keyboard rig. The Crumar Seven will definitely have a role. Bigger shows, where I have more time and leisure, I'll take the Crumar and a top keyboard. But I anticipate the majority of my gigs will be more the kind where the convenience of one board outweighs the luxury of a more complex set up.

Soundwise, the CP does not, at this time, have much outside the pianos that interests me. But it's a very capable and easy to use controller.

The action is good enough for APs. It's quite good for EPs, which I use more of anyway. So from that standpoint it's "just right" for the job.

I wanted to set the CP up in my living room and move the Crumar downstairs, but my wife won't let me. Says the Crumar is far more stylish and helps "tie the room together." And she's right. She's always right.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Its my understanding the Vel Sens Depth & Offset are not part of the CP4 SCM. Are these not on the new models? For me, theyre fundamental on CP4.

My sentiments exactly.

I searched for these in the owner's manuals on the new models, couldn't find them.

I don't know why they would be part of or limited to SCM. Seems like they're an essential element of how the keyboard translates player input into MIDI output values.

My sentiment also.

Piano sounds will always have flaws.

I have a CP4 and I well know that:

-Eq: CFX miss med freq (not the sample itself, but the 01 default sound choice from yamaha)

-Velocity curve: CF has a too wide curve

-Volume spectrum across the 88 notes: CFX miss some power in higher notes, S6 is nearly non audible in octave 4 to 5

(agree?)

these have to be tweaked, and you can in the CP4 (I would love options for volume spectrum though).

I doubt yamaha will nail them all in every AP sound.

I already see myself not using some of the piano in the CP88 beacause of some gamebreaker, hand tied.

We needed more knobs on that piano section (or some deep editing page, even on a pc external software module!)

It was the glass window, Dave!

Ive never been able to get the sound I wanted when playing in front of one, at best.

At worst, it was a total nightmare.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Today I went to the official Yamaha Distributor/Demo/Showroom/Store in Athnes, Greece. No CP73 or CP88 available for demo or stock in warehouse and no P121 available for demo or stock either.

Yamaha did a great job with portable 73keys this year but local distributor isn't interested enough, only available for orders.

Kurzweil dealer opened a brand new Artis 7 for demo, I got the chance to mess around for more than 2 hours, but I didn't get in touch with the action and some of my daily sounds, EPs and Hams were not really my taste, because of their gain/tube amp sound which sounded good for distorted rock sound but not for jazz/soul sweet sounding.

So, back to my problem, how am I going to invest on a Yamaha CP73, which has 1800euro here, without physical playing with a demo unit? I don't get it. How they are going to sell that thing if they don't advertise it by the official distributor/saler? I could only order the P121, by playing the P125 which is available for demo and I know it's the same machine so the action is fine by me, but how can I A/B the P125 keyboard action with the CP73? OK, let's see, CP73 has similar action with the Montage 8. So if I like Montage action I will be ok with CP73? What does similar means? What about the sounds and interface? Youtube and reviews? No. Not to mention localstore installment plan (up to 36 without extra interent rate) which I can not take advantage.

I can only find one possible solution, order it online through an International music e-shop, test it and return it on 30-day money back warranty and if it's ok, order it from local distributor via installments and wait a month or two to arrive.

Is that ok with Yamaha and shopping policies because I'm not feeling really ok with that...

Sorry for my bad English people!

Today I went to the official Yamaha Distributor/Demo/Showroom/Store in Athnes, Greece. No CP73 or CP88 available for demo or stock in warehouse and no P121 available for demo or stock either.

Yamaha did a great job with portable 73keys this year but local distributor isn't interested enough, only available for orders.

Kurzweil dealer opened a brand new Artis 7 for demo, I got the chance to mess around for more than 2 hours, but I didn't get in touch with the action and some of my daily sounds, EPs and Hams were not really my taste, because of their gain/tube amp sound which sounded good for distorted rock sound but not for jazz/soul sweet sounding.

So, back to my problem, how am I going to invest on a Yamaha CP73, which has 1800euro here, without physical playing with a demo unit? I don't get it. How they are going to sell that thing if they don't advertise it by the official distributor/saler? I could only order the P121, by playing the P125 which is available for demo and I know it's the same machine so the action is fine by me, but how can I A/B the P125 keyboard action with the CP73? OK, let's see, CP73 has similar action with the Montage 8. So if I like Montage action I will be ok with CP73? What does similar means? What about the sounds and interface? Youtube and reviews? No. Not to mention localstore installment plan (up to 36 without extra interent rate) which I can not take advantage.

I can only find one possible solution, order it online through an International music e-shop, test it and return it on 30-day money back warranty and if it's ok, order it from local distributor via installments and wait a month or two to arrive.

Is that ok with Yamaha and shopping policies because I'm not feeling really ok with that...

Sorry for my bad English people!

CP73 feels very similar to the Montage. Could someone be ok with the feel of the Montage but not be ok with the feel of the CP? It's possible, but not likely.

CP73 feels very similar to the Montage.

Is that evaluaton from personal expeience?

Heres an evaluation from personal experience:

Montage 8 and CP73 ARE similar but not identical.

Both are EXCELLENT actions with the CP having a bit more bounce and dig since theres no afterouch strip in the CP.

I WOULD HAPPILY PLAY EITHER OF THESE AT ANYTIME!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

CP73 feels very similar to the Montage.

Is that evaluaton from personal expeience?

It is, though I've only played a Montage in a store. Similar, not identical, they're in the same ballpark. I think someone who's familiar with the Montage action and likes it could order a CP73 sight unseen and feel pretty confident they're going to like it as well. The likelihood you'd return it only because of the action is pretty small.

Tried out the CP-88 over the last weekend. Liked what I heard. Electric pianos not my favorite, but everything else was pretty solid. Key action was a little heavier than I like but that's very subjective. I like that they have so many different pianos in it. And they brought back the S700. Wish they had the S6 from the Motif XF though, that one was great for ballads and worship music. The U1 upright was nice. Extra sounds were alright. The pads were definitely usable, wish there was more variety in the extra voices overall. But the ones there were were very nice.

The interface was "strange" but I never clicked with the Nord interface either. Forgot to try out the pitch and mod sticks (last board I checked before rushing out to an appointment). Build quality was very nice I thought. I don't like the feel of the toggle switches as I wonder about how they'd hold up long-term, just seemed a little thin.

Overall a nice board, not for me but nice.

I finally got to try out the CP88 at a local store yesterday and I'd echo a lot of Mighty Motif Max's comments. Acoustic pianos nice, I preferred the Imperial, I thought the CFX was a little harsh but I had to use headphones that weren't great quality. Tried some eq but I think the problem lay with the headphones.

EP's lovely but I'm a big fan of Yamaha EP's. However I didn't think they were that different or better than anything Ive tried on the Motif XS/XF/MODX.

Action? I liked it. Not as bouncy as the CP4. (I took me a long time to acclimatise to the CP4 action but I love playing it as a controller for Pianoteq). It's definitely geared towards acoustic piano playing.

Interface....jurys out on this. I don't like the Nord layout. I could just never gel with it...too many buttons. This seemed easier to navigate but it would need some time. Im not sure it would be great for multiple patch changes on say a musical gig. The on/off switches for each part are small and could be susceptible to breaking with heavy use.

The extra sounds are a bit of a let down...not in terms of quality but in terms of quantity. Pads are nice but but everything else just seems like an afterthought. Much more scope for extra voices on the CP4. I know, I know, Yamaha are going to provide extra voices down the line but I imagine they'll be extra pianos with the odd lead/pad/bass.

I had it in my mind that the CP73 would be ideal for me, nice pianos, great weight factor, people were touting the action as being very similar to the Montage 8. Unfortunately there was no 73 in stock but I did try the Montage 8 and that action was nice. Not sure if its any different to previous ES/XS/XF8 models but felt similar. The CP88 is too heavy and expensive for me and I'm not even sure Id get the CP73 now. It's nice for a piano/ep gig but its never going to be a handy all in one board (I know its not claiming to be) but at the price I'd probably be better off with an MODX8 or even a Casio PX S3000.

I tried an MODX8 a few days ag. Great sounds and big improvement from previous generations but the GHS actions seems so sluggish. It was like the keys stopped halfway down . After having the MOX8 and MOXF8 I dunno if I could go back to that. I might take a punt with the Casio and start using it with the iPad Pro and see how that goes.

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

Interface....jurys out on this. I don't like the Nord layout. I could just never gel with it...too many buttons. This seemed easier to navigate but it would need some time. Im not sure it would be great for multiple patch changes on say a musical gig.

For instant preset recall, you've got the favorites buttons on the left. I'm curious as to which boards have a style of interface you prefer.

The extra sounds are a bit of a let down...not in terms of quality but in terms of quantity.

Yeah, they're surpringly limited, making it I think an unlikely option as a one-and-only gigging board unless someone is primarily playing pianos, and similarly putting extra demands on your choice for something to pair it with, if you're going that route.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Interface....jurys out on this. I don't like the Nord layout. I could just never gel with it...too many buttons. This seemed easier to navigate but it would need some time. Im not sure it would be great for multiple patch changes on say a musical gig.

For instant preset recall, you've got the favorites buttons on the left. I'm curious as to which boards have a style of interface you prefer.

The extra sounds are a bit of a let down...not in terms of quality but in terms of quantity.

Yeah, they're surpringly limited, making it I think an unlikely option as a one-and-only gigging board unless someone is primarily playing pianos, and similarly putting extra demands on your choice for something to pair it with, if you're going that route.

Im certain Yamaha has considered the conundrum of their customers in choosing CP88 or MODX8. You cant get everything the other has - choose or get both.

Remember when the CP1 lacked all the ancillary AWM stuff from the CP5 and 50?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Am used to the setlist feature of the Kronos and the generally bigger screen in more recent boards. I saw the live sets buttons but I didn't get a chance to play around with them.im sure given enough time I could learn to adjust to the layout. In theory I like the slightly stripped back nature of the cp series, in practice it might not work for me. YMMV. At any rate I only had about 25 minutes to play around with it, not nearly enough time.

Im a bit torn about the Modx8. I'm looking to get something lighter as the Kronos is proving too heavy for a lot of my gigs recently. The MODX8 I played in the store had a really shallow and almost lifeless action. Most unlike the previous Moxf and Mox ones which I had. I thought it was the same keybed? Perhaps the one in the store has been overplayed.

Anyway the search goes one....

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

Am used to the setlist feature of the Kronos and the generally bigger screen in more recent boards. I saw the live sets buttons but I didn't get a chance to play around with them

They're just buttons you can assign whatever sound you want to (20 banks of the 8 buttons), basically like Kronos Set List slots, but unfortunately without the visual display of what sound is attached to them.

The MODX8 I played in the store had a really shallow and almost lifeless action. Most unlike the previous Moxf and Mox ones which I had. I thought it was the same keybed? Perhaps the one in the store has been overplayed.
The recurring question of what can make one GHS feel different from another...

Anyway the search goes one....

Maybe the forthcoming Kurzweill PC4?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I loved this keyboard but man did Yamaha miss the mark. All they had to do was get some bread and butter sounds in one of the banks. Not a single brass ensemble patch. I played the CP77 and would have bought immediately if it was not for the fact I would have to lug around another synth to supplement about a dozen of sounds need through the night. Nord with the sampling library just kills this offering.

I loved this keyboard but man did Yamaha miss the mark. All they had to do was get some bread and butter sounds in one of the banks. Not a single brass ensemble patch. I played the CP77 and would have bought immediately if it was not for the fact I would have to lug around another synth to supplement about a dozen of sounds need through the night.

Yeah, I'm surprised at the sonic gaps. On the bright side, it's also a 4-zone MIDI controller, so if you don't want to "lug around another synth" you also have the option of, for example, lugging merely an iPad and getting those missing sounds there (and there's a line input so you don't necessarily need a mixer or multi-input amp). Though for that, I wish it had a knob for controlling the volume of external sounds.

Yeah, I'm surprised at the sonic gaps. On the bright side, it's also a 4-zone MIDI controller, so if you don't want to "lug around another synth" you also have the option of, for example, lugging merely an iPad and getting those missing sounds there (and there's a line input so you don't necessarily need a mixer or multi-input amp). Though for that, I wish it had a knob for controlling the volume of external sounds.

Even better... a single USB cable does MIDI & Audio even with iOS devices.

CP73 and iPhone/iPad running Galileo 2, Korg Module, & Model D is a killer.

Even better... a single USB cable does MIDI & Audio even with iOS devices.

Cool. I thought it might, but I wasn't sure.

Has anyone heard how it sounds in mono? Being a proponent of playing in mono live this is important to me. I'm leery because I had a Yamaha dp that was quite nice in stereo but truly awful in mono. I tried every possible mono configuration and it still stunk. However,I've got high hopes for the CP73.

Has anyone heard how it sounds in mono? Being a proponent of playing in mono live this is important to me. I'm leery because I had a Yamaha dp that was quite nice in stereo but truly awful in mono. I tried every possible mono configuration and it still stunk. However,I've got high hopes for the CP73.

Yes, my review in this thread was based on hearing it through a small Roland Cube amp in mono. You can read what I wrote to get an idea. I thought it was just fine in mono, better than my Motif XF for sure in that regard. :)

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

When using Organ mode, is there a way to use a footswitch to control the Rotary speed of the leslie instead of using the Modular toggle?

I don't know, but I really hope so. it's 2019, can't imagine this isn't possible...

Rudy

When using Organ mode, is there a way to use a footswitch to control the Rotary speed of the leslie instead of using the Modular toggle?

You can assign any midi # to any controller, so probably? I feel no motivation at all to find out because the "leslie sim" on the CP is so bad. Like, inexplicably bad. There's much cheaper keyboards with a better leslie effect.

If I was going to use the CP as my only keyboard on a gig and needed organ, I'd use either the Korg Module or the Pocket B3 apps, both are far better than what's onboard the CP.

I own the Korg GrandStage-73, and there is no option to use a footswitch for the Rotary speed on the Korg GS, that is why I asked this question for the Yamaha CP. You think it would be a no brainer, but it is not!!

The leslie sim on the Grandstage is useable, the one on the CP is not, in my opinion.

The Leslie sim on the Grandstage or the Yam-CP are both NOT GOOD. I only use the Korg at home for practice and was curious if the CP had this option.(Always used a footswitch for my Rotary speed).

If you're looking for a good leslie sound, the Grandstage or the Yam.CP's are not the keyboards you want to use, and are not meant to be!

I am now using Galileo Organ 2 with my CP4 for organ patches. It works surprisingly well for organ layers and occasional B3 solos. I had to invest in the wireless MIDI adapter from Yamaha, though, because of ground loop problems with the iPad to CP4 connections. I assume the same fix would work with the CP88.
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

ground loop problems with the iPad to CP4 connections

I'm assuming this was with a USB connection (rather than 5-pin MIDI out of the MODX), and with the iPad simultaneously plugged into AC For staying charged?