Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vintage Rhodes and 88800000 Organ in Casio PX-S3000

There is no default clean tone vintage Fender Rhodes TONE in the PX-S3000.

However, you can get a nice clean tone Rhodes by stripping away the heavy Phase Shifter and Tremolo DSP applied to EP 1 by using the following edit settings:

Select "004:Elec.Piano 1" from the [TONE]E.PIANOS section.

To defeat the Phaser and Tremolo:

Change the [CTRL]DSP to 006:Stereo3BndEQ

Increase its EQ3 Gain to +6 to get a pronounced tine.

Change the [CTRL]KNOB to 03:Up 1 Cho/Rev

Change the Reverb Sound Effect to Room 2

Adjust to taste the Chorus Level with Knob 1.

Adjust to taste the Reverb Level with Knob 2.

Save as a Registration.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a similar recipe to fix the Jimmy Smith 88800000 ORGAN TONE.

The factory set it with FAST Rotary and too much of it. Most Jazz players use Slow or Stopped Rotary.

The important fix for the [TONE] ORGAN 001: JS Organ is to change the default DSP to:

[CTRL]DSP 017: Drive Rotary

Adjust its Gain to taste (I chose +55)

DSP 017's Slow Rotary setting is mild enough that it's not bothersome, imo.

Leave the Knobs as is ([CTRL]KNOBS 001:Filter) you may adjust Frequency Cut Off and Resonance to taste, which act like an EQ.

SPLIT with Organ Bass: [TONE] OTHERS 106:Organ Bass

Save as a Registration

------------------------------

[TONE] ORGAN 012.Elec.Organ 5 is a good Latin tone organ as is. It sounds similar to Walter Wanderley's "Os Grilos" organ sound.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

It might be useful to have an alternative registration with the knobs assigned to adjust stereo panning, as in a Suitcase Rhodes. From the manual, the AutoPan DSP module is available for the EPs, but not sure which of its parameters can be assigned to the knobs.

It might be useful to have an alternative registration with the knobs assigned to adjust stereo panning, as in a Suitcase Rhodes. From the manual, the AutoPan DSP module is available for the EPs, but not sure which of its parameters can be assigned to the knobs.

The Knobs have pre-defined parameter sets available... luckily the manual uses the Auto-Pan as the example for DSP, so here's you answer (Page EN-76):

For example, when preset DSP 15. Auto Pan is selected, DSP Parameter 1 is LFO Waveform, and DSP Parameter 2 is LFO Rate

Jerry

It amazes me what these designers do to screw up the sounds on these keyboards.

I have to assume that they are trying to appeal to the average idiot rather than a discerning musician.

I was all set to like the 1000 but it just wasn't it for me. And yes, if you just give me something like a basic Rhodes tone, I can screw it up myself later.

I will also take time here to repeat again that I actually like the Rhodes on the 150 dollar Williams Legato. That's right. If I want to mess with it I run it through a tremolo unit.

I have one. It runs on batteries. I like it better than a lot of Rhodes sounds on much more expensive boards.

I like the Casio S series piano better than the Kronos piano

Did you try a tune using the internal piano? How did you amplify it?

It amazes me what these designers do to screw up the sounds on these keyboards.

I have to assume that they are trying to appeal to the average idiot rather than a discerning musician.

Not "average idiot", it's average consumer. It's not "discerning musician", it's discerning old guy.

Sorry, but us old guys are not driving marketing any more. I'm sure Casio has this board configured to exactly who they want to sell it to. Lets go up to 40 years old. How many 40 year old keys players have any clue about what you're talking about? A few sure, but not enough to matter to Casio and the younger you go the less they know about classic Hammonds.

It's cool Jazz+ took the time to figure these tweaks out.

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Did you try a tune using the internal piano? How did you amplify it?

I was using a single K8.2. I had the internal sound on briefly while I was loading up computer stuff. The internal sound is nice but the pianoteq sounded better. Normally I probably would have tried it on a couple of tunes but I was playing with some new people including a vocalist (It Might As Well Be Spring In B?!) so I never got around to it.