Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog Matriarch

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks AMAZING....

If by AMAZING you mean butt-ugly, I'd have to agree.

The colors are aggressively hideous IMO :P

When I mean looks I mean layout, functionality and power.

I grew up with Minis, Sonic Sixes, Realistic MG-1s, etc, so the 70s retro is ok by me.

I Dont care how stuff looks (meaning superficial design), I care how it sounds....

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I confess that the physical appearance isn't to my liking, either, but it is consistent with the majority of their other recent synths.

The sound did not immediately captivate me, either. I'm wondering/concerned about Moog moving away from what I call the "Moog house sound." I'm sure they'll be successful, in that they'll find many people who feel that it's exactly what they want, but I'm not itching to buy one.

(...pssst...my name is spelled with an "e" not an "a"...don't worry, I'm used to it...)

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Only making 250 of them, so I guess if you want one you might have to jump on it.

250 of the Moogfest Special Edition. There will be a general run after that, just like they did with the Grandmother.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Sure it's not a polyphonic like the Moog One.

I think paraphonics are interesting especially if they have powerful filters. They won't do your Jupiter 8 brass, but there is a lot they can do. Additionally this could be viewed a four oscillator monosynth or as a hub for a polyphonic/paraphonic modular system, with velocity and aftertouch on CV.

Sounds and looks very promising! 4 VCOs ?! Stereo ladder filters, 2 lfos, 2 ADSRs, analog delay... and a *lot* of possibilities to patch things creatively. The first "modern" Moog which really intrigues me.

Now, I just hope that sound quality will be on par with its features. Almost every demo shows the sequencer and/or paraphony, the aspects which interest me the least. I want those 4 oscillators roaring out big leads, big sweeps, big basses.... :D (ok, I'm old)

They are not only making 250. The first run is 250 and you get some swag with it. Then it will go into general production.

Pre-ordered this morning. Will need to sell something off to make space and help pay for it.

Sound-wise - other than the stereo content - look no further than the Grandmother. To me, it sounds more like old-school Moog modular than a Mini, or the newer synths.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Sure it's not a polyphonic like the Moog One.

I think paraphonics are interesting especially if they have powerful filters. They won't do your Jupiter 8 brass, but there is a lot they can do. Additionally this could be viewed a four oscillator monosynth or as a hub for a polyphonic/paraphonic modular system, with velocity and aftertouch on CV.

There is something about Paraphonic Synths that is cohesive in a different way than a poly. If you've ever played a Korg MonoPoly - this seems like that on patchpoint steroids.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Aside from the price, I grew up in a touch tone world. I always went for push buttons, sliders, and switches. Plugging in cables? Not so much.

I'd be a Moog One customer, if I could afford one.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I played the Grandmother about a month ago, only thing at Chuck Levin's that really grabbed me both sound-wise and viscerally. Still I left thinking it lacked functionality and less than thrilled with the 2.5 octave keyboard. I thought maybe the Grandmother II in a couple of years? Can't believe this came out so soon after the Sirin, Moog One and Grandmother. Moog is banging out these new models like crazy - maybe to pay for the Moog One development cost :idea: .

The Matriarch looks killer. Wish it cost less but imo it blows away the mini at 2/3 the price. Also much better construction as opposed to the Sub-Phatty/Subsequent 37 type series.

If I were to buy a mono synth from Moog, it would be the Subsequent 37. Three Octaves, compact metal case, great sound, $1499.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Did anyone mention the stereo ladder filters ala Voyager? :thu:

Besides you, no one, but the stereo ladder filter was one of the best thing about a synth Moog should have NEVER discontinued, imo. (I know theres a finite life cycle to any product, but....)

That being said, I eagerly await the release of this synth that expands upon the great concepts and functionality of the Grandmother.

FOUR OSCILLATORS!!!!!!

STEREO FILTERS!!!!

ANALOG DELAY!!!!!

FOUR OCTAVE KEYBOARD!

(line lump power supply.....

boo,hiss!)

Robert Bosch, 1919

If I were to buy a mono synth from Moog, it would be the Subsequent 37. Three Octaves, compact metal case, great sound, $1499.

Mike T.

And crappy keyboard

And crowded front panel.

Robert Bosch, 1919

I played the Grandmother about a month ago, only thing at Chuck Levin's that really grabbed me both sound-wise and viscerally. Still I left thinking it lacked functionality and less than thrilled with the 2.5 octave keyboard. I thought maybe the Grandmother II in a couple of years? Can't believe this came out so soon after the Sirin, Moog One and Grandmother. Moog is banging out these new models like crazy - maybe to pay for the Moog One development cost :idea: .

The Matriarch looks killer. Wish it cost less but imo it blows away the mini at 2/3 the price. Also much better construction as opposed to the Sub-Phatty/Subsequent 37 type series.

^^^^^^^^^^

This x 100000

I am flabbergasted that the Subsequent 37 has one of the worst keyboard actions I have ever played. I remember the Sub 37 action as less grateful than that of the Little Phatty, but the action on the Subsequent 37 was so bad I had to return 3 of them before giving up. Also when I corresponded the Moog Music, they said that the action was part of the design. This was unbelievable to me and most especially surprising coming from a company with one of the best keyboard actions ever (Voyager).

What is even more curious to me is, that if it is a design aspect the CV model has a TOTALLY DIFFERENT FEEL FROM THE NON CV MODEL... The CV plays great, with none of the issues of the standard model.

Robert Bosch, 1919

I have enlarged the images from the Moog site and studied those patch points a bit... wow. I would really love to play with this thing for a while.

Also, however...

boo,hiss!)

I can't believe that in an instrument of this class and price, they didn't include an internal power supply. A big letdown.

Mike T.

And crappy keyboard

And crowded front panel.

I have not played that instrument. I am only looking at it from a standpoint of bang for the buck. It sounds like a Moog, its compact, and not too expensive.

I suppose if I can play an Alesis Ion without complaint, I can play most anything.

Mike T.

FINALLY, I understand why most of my Voyager patches sound best in stereo. I had looked through the signal path countless times, and hadn't been able to figure out why it's such a rich stereo synth and why even the bass patches sound more organic and alive in stereo than in mono.

I had always assumed the ladder filter was mono! Did any other Moog synths have a stereo ladder filter?

I wasn't too impressed by most of the demos of this new Matriarch synth. I didn't check the price tag though, and assumed it must be $4k or more, so if it's a budget synth, I guess that would explain why I didn't find it as rich sounding as the Voyager.

EDIT: Oh now I see someone posted a price of $2K above, which by Moog standards is budget considering it's paraphonic, and of course it's still way cheaper than the Voyager so should not be expected to reach the richness of that sound engine (still my favourite synth of all time; including the original Minimoog).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I have enlarged the images from the Moog site and studied those patch points a bit... wow. I would really love to play with this thing for a while.

Also, however...

boo,hiss!)

I can't believe that in an instrument of this class and price, they didn't include an internal power supply. A big letdown.

I'm not happy about it, but i'm still getting one

Robert Bosch, 1919

Mike T.

And crappy keyboard

And crowded front panel.

I have not played that instrument. I am only looking at it from a standpoint of bang for the buck. It sounds like a Moog, its compact, and not too expensive.

I suppose if I can play an Alesis Ion without complaint, I can play most anything.

Mike T.

....actually the Matriarch is more bang for the buck than the Subsequent.

4 oscillators vs 2

Stereo filter vs mono

Built in analog delay

-and, having briefly owned a Grandmother, that casing was VERY robust!

lastly, neither the Subsequent 37 nor the Matriarch are monophonic, but are paraphonic.

(but, I THINK I know what you were driving at)

Robert Bosch, 1919