Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amazon may release a Hi-Res Music Streaming Service

Amazon Plans Hi-Res Music Streaming Service

If Amazon launches a music service with a better bit rate than CD quality, say 44.1kHz/16-bit FLAC files for $15/month, would you buy it?

For listening on my iPhone/iPad, and even in my studio, the current sound quality is fine by me. I'm an Amazon Prime member and pay for Amazon Music Unlimited. It's $79/year.

What do you guys think? Are you OK with the quality of whatever streaming service you subscribe to... or not?

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its about time. People are streaming HD video on cellular data. Sirius XM sounds like poop. I dont pay for any service at the moment. Pandora, Spotify with ads is about as far as Ive gone with streaming audio. Sounds ok on my phones speakers or with a little Bluetooth speaker help. But it would be nice to get better quality at home and in the car.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I do free spotify, and Sirius until the free subscription runs out next month (car came with 1 year). Quality of those is fine for me.

Question though...don't know about FLAC, but how would it be better than CD quality if it's 16-bit, 44.1kHz? To my knowledge, CD's don't use any compression so if it's the same sample rate and bit depth, how is it better?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

If Amazon focuses on high quality recording artists, I am very interested.

If they are mostly covering commercial pop artists, high quality is not going to help IMO

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

If they continue to screw songwriters, I will not.

In addition to the various 'digital services ' that have marginalized creative musicians, Amazon is equal and possibly worse. They have re written the entire book business, marginalizing all the publishers. Writers typically work for a penny or 2. Some tiny amount.

Amazon Prime members love it of course, they are getting free digital books , books for 99 cents, etc.

This is nothing new, Amazon created the model + 15 years ago.

I was a Pro Seller on Amazon for 8 years. I retired that business 2 years ago. I had a good run for 6 yrs but the last 2 yrs hit the skids.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I don't think the vast majority of people will be able to tell the difference and/or care. When Tidal launched, they touted the fact that they were streaming at a much higher quality than any other service. They had a page where you could A/B test six different songs to compare their quality with typical quality. After listening on decent studio monitors and decent headphones, there was only one track where I could MAYBE tell the difference, and numerous people I know had the same results (as did people talking about it online). So as much as I appreciate people and companies pushing for higher quality in just about anything, I certainly wouldn't;t be paying extra for this service.

If Amazon focuses on high quality recording artists, I am very interested.

If they are mostly covering commercial pop artists, high quality is not going to help IMO

Maybe. I think Amazon should give a choice, perhaps at an increase in cost for higher resolution. To me it depends on the source and the material. Recordings of acoustic instruments and certain vocals (think Mary Black) that are untrammeled by a well-intentioned producer's audio manipulation, then yes, I prefer an honest as-produced resolution. OTOH, there are those styles and genres for which I think a reduction in recorded reduction is lost behind the musicians' and producers' baked-in distortion and manipulation.