Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Saga - On the Loose

Pretty much got the whole song down - lots of fun! But there is one chord that I'm not sure I have right.

It's a pad part during the solo section. I've got the solo parts down and most of the pad. So as the keyboard solo part plays, the pad plays Eb and F, then the guitar does a thing and the pad goes to ?????

In the following video, it's at 2:38-2:41 and again 2:52-2:56.

[video:youtube]gx7XbV82JfQ

Side note - I'm doing the lead patch on my MFB Dominion 1 and it's pretty awesome. On the Dom 1, you can FM the oscillators with an LFO set into the Audio Frequency range, and set the LFO to key follow. Was pretty easy to dial in without having to do a bunch of menu diving in AL-1 on the Kronos.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ebmaj7?

DUDE I think that's it!!!! I could plainly hear the D but I was playing it with an Fmaj instead of an Ebmaj.

Thanks!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

BTW - this song reminds me of a problem I sometimes have with other songs. The main little KB riff that starts the song and goes through the verses really requires that you hit the white keys between the black keys so that fingers 1 and 5 are positioned to land, in this case, on Eb and Bb. It just seems like my fingers are too fat to fit between the black keys. Not as bad on a piano, but on an unweighted keyboard it's easy to false trigger an adjacent black key. Anybody else experience this?

In this song, it's fine on the 2nd half of the phrase when top and bottom are C's. But the Eb/Bb part you pretty much have to play between the black keys and my fingers just don't fit very well.

Dan

Also, I have lots of splits/layers going on. My piano part during the chorus has strings layered and kind of an arpeggiated part with thick reverb controlled by my swell pedal. You can really hear it fade in between 2:07-2:09 but it seems like it's also there in other parts, just lower. Any tips on that part? I have something that I did just to make through rehearsal but I want to redo that layer to be more accurate.

Dan

This album changed my life.

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/306/cover_402113172017_r.jpg

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I remember not being able to figure out that chord in the late 80s!

No forums, just rewinding a freaking cassette over and over for all those tunes...no wonder I learned most of them incorrectly (foreplay/longtime, looking at you here....)

Our guitarist always had a hard time with the riff in the bridge section...

What's funny is that this is my original progressive metal band that's going to play this song. We don't do any other covers, we just thought it might be fun to throw this in at the next show. Both guitar players in the band are phenomenal, so this stuff is child's play for them. It's sounding pretty cool - kind of a more aggressive sounding version but with all the same parts.

Dan

Here they are doing it 40 yrs later, sounds damn good, vocalist is amazing. I wish the keyboardist had kept the 1/4 note staccato piano stabs in the chorus (like the original), for some reason he decided to double up there. Nitpicking, sounds great.

[video:youtube]

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Canadian radio regulations stipulate that a certain proportion of radio airtime must be reserved for Canadian content. Therefore, this and many other otherwise lost treasures are still staples on Canadian classic rock stations.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Canadian radio regulations stipulate that a certain proportion of radio airtime must be reserved for Canadian content. Therefore, this and many other otherwise lost treasures are still staples on Canadian classic rock stations.
Maybe a portion of all radio airtime should be reserved for HIGH QUALITY content! A whole bunch of that just happens to be Canadian. Some of my favorite Canadian artists

- Alanis Morrisette

- Joni Mitchell

- Saga

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Rush, Loverboy, Bryan Adams (who a lot of people don't realize wrote songs for Loverboy)

Dan