Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A completely novel way to screw up a song!

Accidentally hit the demo button on the Yamaha P105 in the middle of a song.

Pretty loud stage volume and none of us had any idea what it was. Thought the jukebox had started up or something.

Thanks to a couple of drops of superglue, it wont ever happen again.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes. Superglue though? There goes resale value (not that there's a ton anyways but). Glad it wasn't the old Casiotone CT-370 demo song though. :laugh:

[video:youtube]

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Pfft! I first screwed up a song by hitting the demo button decades ago! Does that make me a "screwing up a song by hitting the demo button" hipster?

Most recent time: a couple weeks ago using a backlined Motif at a festival. Thankfully it was during soundcheck. The stage tech found the Stop button before I did. Apparently I was the third person that day to do it.

Accidentally hit the demo button on the Yamaha P105 in the middle of a song.

Pretty loud stage volume and none of us had any idea what it was. Thought the jukebox had started up or something.

Thanks to a couple of drops of superglue, it wont ever happen again.

I've had that happen more than once, and it's surprising how long it takes to figure out WTF is going on. It's just not something you expect to go wrong.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

And its times like that when seconds feel like minutes...

Yamaha C2, Yamaha MODX7, Hammond SK1, Hammond XK-5 Heritage Pro System, Korg Kronos 2 61, Yamaha CP4, Kurzweil PC4-7, Nord Stage 3 73, Nord Wave 2, QSC 8.2, Motion Sound KP 210S,  Key Largo, etc…yeah I have too much…

Mighty Motif Max: "Yikes. Superglue though? There goes resale value (not that there's a ton anyways but). Glad it wasn't the old Casiotone CT-370 demo song though."

Not much resale value on this thing anyway. Or one could argue that I had INCREASED it!

"I'm not even going to charge you extra for this extremely valuable and helpful modification!"

And seconds DO feel like minutes when something like that happens.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I have hit the Arp button on my Kurzweil a couple times...had the band looking around in confusion...

The "best" is using global transpose and then forgetting to turn it off (or vice versa). Big two-hand chord to start the song, that sounds just great...

I once played a set that came off fairly well, except for the mangled attempt to play the organ break from Del Shannon's "Runaway" after tee many martoonis. It was like watching "The Fast and the Furious" performed with bumper cars. :facepalm::rolleyes:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

My church bought a Yamaha workstation -- maybe a MOXF8, not sure -- on which pushing what I think is a "bank" button is just as likely to put me in "one note triggers sequence" mode, as to put me in "Just gimme a bleeping piano" mode. :facepalm:

Kinda makes it scary to try new voices.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

This is bringing back painful gig memories.

- got a preset wrong, and instead of an angelic choir at a sensitive moment, I got quacking ducks. Thankfully, everyone burst out laughing.

- the transpose button is a no-go zone in my world thanks to so many screwups. I take the time to learn whatever in the obscure key someone has insisted on.

- I thought it might be funny to have a fart sound loaded as a sample. Until I accidentally hit it during a break. Sample deleted. Same with the "f you" sample. If it's loaded, it's going to get played at some point, intentionally or otherwise.

- BL kept telling me to turn up for my dirty organ solo. I misjudged things, and ended up taking some paint off of the walls as I fully dialed up the gain on 2000w of serious amplification. I think it took the audience a few days to recover. But it sounded glorious, it did. Even the lead guitarist was impressed.

- Never, ever pitch bend an acoustic piano. Even if you can. I think I gave people nausea with that one.

I'm sure the future will bring more novel ways to screw up a song. All part of the fun.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

My church has an MOX8. Nice board, but why, oh why, does it NOT power up to piano? I've powered it on, and hit a key, and it starts playing some arpeggiated crap that I will never in my life use.

I have my Hammond fairly close to the top of my Yamaha MM8, so I have to reach under the Hammond to reach the volume knob on the Yamaha. I have on several occasions hit the metronome button by accident. Problem is, don't know where it is by feel. I have to look for it.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

LOL, in my 80s band the drummer played electric drums. He accidentally hit the Demo button and it was a loud sequence - not just a drum pattern. He didn't realize he hit it and immediately assumed it was me. He's giving me dirty looks and very angry at me, if you can imagine mouthing yelling....like no sound, just mouthing stuff like WTF but in a yelling fashion. I looked at my keys, looked back and shrugged my shoulders and mouthed "not me". He looked at the drum module and realized it was him. He turned off the demo, looked back ant me, and mouthed "sorry". LOL. All was forgiven. Any other day if it had happened, it probably WOULD have been me as the culprit.

But this, maybe as a separate thread, could be a great discussion about how to handle upsets on the fly, whether technical or just recovering from flubs. I'm sure we all experience thing things all the time. In fact, I'm gonna start that thread right now.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Keyboards that have a dedicated Demo button are crimes.

They are designed exclusively to be SOLD, with no priority given to being USED.

Hardware costs money. Interface real estate costs money. Clutter costs usability. Design costs money. Wasting all of that on a dedicated function that is, by definition, NEVER going to be used once the sale is made is a complete fuck you to the user.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

I tried to change the patch from piano to Rhodes in a jazz camp big band performance on the provided Casio Privia, and ended up starting the drum machine. First I thought that the drummer went off the rails, but I looked at him and he was on time. Then I realized it was me and turned my master volume way down, then started frantically looking for the start/stop button on this unknown instrument. When I found and pushed it, I turned the volume just a little bit up to see if the drum machine was gone. Fortunately it was.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Started "Firth of Fifth" with the "Watcher of the Skies" patch - that frightened the crap out of everyone (especially me)
Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Back in the '80s I was playing in a cover band doing "It's so funny (how we don't talk anymore)" which has a downward synthesizer gliss - maybe a syndrum? after one chorus. My Jupiter 4 didn't have a good way to do this, so I would set the pitch bend to an octave and drive the pitch down that way. The problem was that our next song in the setlist was "Folsom Prison Blues" where I played a pedal-steel solo on the same synth. Naturally, I would forget to reset the range of the bender and I would proudly jump in whooop it up like a penny whistle - much to the delight of my bandmates.

BTW this is a fun thread.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Started "Firth of Fifth" with the "Watcher of the Skies" patch - that frightened the crap out of everyone (especially me)

Didnt Genesis used to start Firth with the Watcher intro anyway after Tony bunged it one too many times? Its become such a big thing that Ive heard other people cover it that way (Transatlantic, at least).

Lame cuz Firth of Fifth is a much better intro than Watcher, yet Im a huge fan of Watcher as a song. So its kind of a boner killer in both directions.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I once borrowed an Alesis QS with a bizarre clock issue. It would bend the pitch (even with patches that didnt have pitch bend assigned) randomly all over the place. Freaked me OUT! It was like a ghost of the machine. Finished out the gig and then never borrowed that board again. Everyone in the band was similarly creeped out.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Keyboards that have a dedicated Demo button are crimes.

Back in the 90s I found one good use for the demo button. I played in a duo at the time and we ran our own sound. So I would start the demo and go out front to check the sound system. The guitar player would jam along with the demos and we checked our mics.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Transpose button accidents are good ones. I am in one band where songs are mostly down 1/2 step but some down a full step. Need to pay careful attention at those gigs.

Playing "Peg" in the first set where the venue bought the band generous (too generous) shots of Tequila before we went on. Sounded a lot jazzier than it was supposed to.

Wrong patch mistakes are good also. At a recent rehearsal, instead of the sawtooth intro to "Wake Up Call" by Maroon 5 a wimpy bunch of high piano notes. Sounded sad .... just sad ...... That memory will ensure I look at the patch set before I start that song at the next gig.

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

So I would start the demo and go out front to check the sound system.

I used to do the same. A couple of the demos on my Yamaha S90 were actually pretty hip.

One of our old rehearsal rooms had a cheap little Kawai keyboard in the corner with built-in speakers. It had this cheesy funky demo which we'd play and dance along to as our "pack up music" at the end of rehearsal.