Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

Ill be satisfied to lay my hands on the 1000 and if the action agrees with me (Im more than happy with the samples) Ill immediately order the 3000, which I assume is identical. Neither nearby Sam Ash or GC have either, last time I looked. Theres just no excuse for that, its not a big layout for these big chains to have in stock and available. There should be one in every store, these were best in show and the New. Big. Deal.

I have the same frustration in my area- they refuse to either carry or have them on display. It's like they don't care about selling keyboards.

I see you are on Long Island- I was in NYC a week and a half ago and they had the 1000 at both Sam Ash and Guitar Center (yet had them up high and with no pedal connected!) so I couldn't give a 100% review

I think the Casio Rhodes EP at 8:15 sounds real nice. I think the Casio "Piano" and the "Rhodes" samples both sound much better than the Yamaha P125 versions demoed at 11:10.

[video:youtube]

As I have the P125 (but tried the Casio out briefly) - i found that I liked the volume I was getting in the C1-G2 range better on the Yamaha.

My P125 replaced my PX130 for the function of playing out. Becuase it is not my home piano I am fine with GHS as a trade off of having portability.

I do like the P125 sounds and samples.

Ah, GHS.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Ill be satisfied to lay my hands on the 1000 and if the action agrees with me (Im more than happy with the samples) Ill immediately order the 3000, which I assume is identical. Neither nearby Sam Ash or GC have either, last time I looked. Theres just no excuse for that, its not a big layout for these big chains to have in stock and available. There should be one in every store, these were best in show and the New. Big. Deal.

I have the same frustration in my area- they refuse to either carry or have them on display. It's like they don't care about selling keyboards.

I see you are on Long Island- I was in NYC a week and a half ago and they had the 1000 at both Sam Ash and Guitar Center (yet had them up high and with no pedal connected!) so I couldn't give a 100% review

Youd be surprised how rarely I get into the city. We have plans for late next month.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

GC sells them online w/ free shipping. you can return it at any GC store if you dont like it.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Again, I can't imagine the store not getting it out for you if you want to try it. But if they don't and they have it, I can't imagine you ever stepping in the store again. :thu:

If it were me, I'd ask the manager if the sales associates aren't helpful.

That being said, if you're not planning on buying there, then I wouldn't bother to ask. And it might be a hard ask if you're saying you want to buy the 3000 and test it via the 1000.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

So, I ventured farther from home and found an S1000 in another GC. Up too high on the wall, no sustain pedal, no respect! :(

It generally felt quite good - the white keys, anyway. If I ventured too deep on the black keys they did seem to fight me with the short pivot point. I'm not sure I want to adjust my playing that much. Generally, however, it DOES have an impressive action, if not for me. I was also pleasantly surprised with the built-in speakers, they really had some volume and presence. Casio will sell a bunch of these two new models. Assuming people can actually find them in the store.

OT: Some other boards I got to play...

Kawai ES8 - Very nice.The action was great, the piano samples sounded better than they seemed to in the demos, the speakers were powerful. I'd be happy with this instrument.

Yamaha CP8 - Love love loved the action. Not really the kind of board I'm looking for this time, but if the P-515 action is anything like this (did I read that here?) my search might be over. The CP was a lot of fun to play. No manual necessary, in two minutes you know what everything does. The acoustic piano patches seemed underwhelming, I'm not sure why. Most everything in the Sub section was a bit pedestrian.

* Yamaha Arius YDP-184 - I played this longer than anything else. It felt and sounded great. More importantly, the illusion works - I really felt like I was sitting at a piano. One with a groovy rosewood finish, no less. So yeah, I want one of these, too.

Exactly my impression of the new Casios - white keys are really good. Black keys - not so much. So it's a perfect piano for you if:

- all your fingers are the same length (so you can play close to the front of the black keys)

- you are not blind (there are no tactile controls)

- you can't lift more than 25 lbs (not much choice there).

Back near the fallboard the white keys get quite heavy too. When playing chords that involve black and white keys your fingers will at times be back near the fallboard on white keys. Definitely more tiring than athe decent action on my real piano.

Yamaha CP8 - Love love loved the action. Not really the kind of board I'm looking for this time, but if the P-515 action is anything like this (did I read that here?) my search might be over.

I think the CP88 action is the same as the CP4 (not the P515).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

OK. Well, it (P515) is apparently the same as the Clavinova action. Since I can't seem to find one to try, I may already break my fairly new rule of buying something I haven't played first. (Yeah, Studiologic Numa Compact 2x, I'm looking at you.)

Really like the Latin Organ(Electric Organ 5) with split Organ Bass.

The JS Organ (88800000) is good when you completely overhaul it . Change the DSP to Gain/Rotary slow (boost the gain10 steps) , change the Chorus to 3, split with Organ Bass adjust Filter to taste (and Part 1 Volume down to 87) and you have a good jazz organ 88800000.

Not sure how they could have messed up so much with the way Casio set up the stock JS Organ patch. Really cheesy! GM Organ 2 is also the same organ but clean without the cheese factory programmer effects. Adding the Gain/Rotary Slow , fat Chorus 3, really fixes it up.

So, I ventured farther from home and found an S1000 in another GC. Up too high on the wall, no sustain pedal, no respect! :(

It generally felt quite good - the white keys, anyway. If I ventured too deep on the black keys they did seem to fight me with the short pivot point. I'm not sure I want to adjust my playing that much. Generally, however, it DOES have an impressive action, if not for me. I was also pleasantly surprised with the built-in speakers, they really had some volume and presence. Casio will sell a bunch of these two new models. Assuming people can actually find them in the store.

OT: Some other boards I got to play...

Kawai ES8 - Very nice.The action was great, the piano samples sounded better than they seemed to in the demos, the speakers were powerful. I'd be happy with this instrument.

Yamaha CP8 - Love love loved the action. Not really the kind of board I'm looking for this time, but if the P-515 action is anything like this (did I read that here?) my search might be over. The CP was a lot of fun to play. No manual necessary, in two minutes you know what everything does. The acoustic piano patches seemed underwhelming, I'm not sure why. Most everything in the Sub section was a bit pedestrian.

* Yamaha Arius YDP-184 - I played this longer than anything else. It felt and sounded great. More importantly, the illusion works - I really felt like I was sitting at a piano. One with a groovy rosewood finish, no less. So yeah, I want one of these, too.

It must be GC instructions! I found the same thing- up high- no pedal- an uncomfortable tryout.

I hope to find it differently next time im in NYC.

I've had the ES8 for 3 and a half years- its great. To be honest I likely prefer Korg sounds but the ES8 is extremely realistic.

The user manual for the S3000 specifies using alkaline AA's for battery power, but does not mention rechargeables. Perhaps our friend Mike Martin can clarify: Would the different voltage or discharge curve of rechargeable AA's cause problems? For example, would the rechargeables trigger an earlier shut down of the S3000, compared to alkalines, as their power is depleted somewhat differently?

When GC has it up high on the wall rack, I just unplug without asking and take it down myself. I then put it on an X stand, they have those laying about, and Power On.

On my new Casio PX-S3000 is a Tone called "Electric Organ 5" which is about the same sound as the Walter Wanderley. Perfect for Latin.

-----------------------------------

The PX-S3000 "JS Organ" (88800000) is good when you completely overhaul it . Change the DSP to Gain/Rotary slow (boost the gain10 steps) , change the Chorus to 3, split with Organ Bass adjust Filter to taste (and Part 1 Volume down to 87) and you have a good jazz organ 88800000.

Im relegated to spectator on this thread from now on. I just bought the P515 home bundle plus (somewhat customized). Im stoked, might have it by Saturday.

Lets hope were all happy with our new gear!

See my S3000 thread on creating a clean tone vintage Fender Rhodes patch and a 8880000 jazz organ patch.

Creating a clean tone Rhodes and a 88800000 jazz organ

Im relegated to spectator on this thread from now on. I just bought the P515 home bundle plus (somewhat customized). Im stoked, might have it by Saturday.

Lets hope were all happy with our new gear!

I think your gonna be happy with it Bobby, please post a review when your ready...!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

"Alicia Witt, known for her TV and Film roles, is also an accomplished singer/songwriter and pianist. Witt joined the Rock & Review to talk about her most recent album "15,000 Days" and her upcoming tour! Plus her favorite Casio keyboards [PX-S1000] that she is taking on tour with her."

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My 3000 arrived today. Two-word review: it rocks!

First impression after setting it up and turning it on to the default piano sound: it's just inviting and inspiring to play. I sat down and played a few notes, and they made me want to play some more. So I did, for over an hour, going through different tunes and blowing in different styles. They all felt and sounded good. I also did the obligatory tour of the presets, but mostly I just kept coming back to the basic piano tone.

Specifics: Of the two main piano tones, I preferred the default one, "Concert Grand." I know Jazz+ said in another thread that he preferred the "Stage Grand," but in my room through my system (SpaceStation V3 + subwoofer) I thought the Concert Grand was more clear and natural. Both the "bright" and "mellow" variations are nice, with enough difference to be useful but not glaring; I could see myself using the former to cut through a band, and the latter on a solo jazz ballad. One of the big questions has been about the too-fast decay/"clunkiness" in previous models, which some players (including me) have criticized. The most telling thing I can say about that is that I forgot completely about the issue until I sat down to write this post. While I was playing, it never even crossed my mind. In contrast, with my PX5S I never stopped noticing it.

As far as the action, I'm really kind of blown away by how good it feels. It's substantial but snappy, with no sluggishness. I was able to fly around the board at my top speed with no problem, including fast single-note repetitions. Some people have voiced concerns that the keys get harder to play when you push them down from near the rear. When I specifically tested this it was noticeable, but while I was actually playing I never gave it a second thought. That might be down to a matter of individual technique and repertoire, but for what I do I can't imagine it ever being an issue. But what's more noticeable than the action itself is the all-important "finger-ear connection," which, for me, is where the board really shines. I've been told they did a lot of work on velocity curves, and it shows. I was easily able to control the dynamics from ppp to fff, without ever having to work to find a sweet spot in the middle. The best way I can describe it is that it responds like a musical instrument, not a stupid imitation of one. I find it to be inspiring in a way that few digital pianos are, and none in this price range or weight.

So far I've spent very little time with the various EP sounds. I'm weirdly picky about how I like my EPs as far as processing and so forth, and all I was able to tell instantly was that none of the presets matched my particular taste. But there did seem to be enough flexibility and overall quality that I'm confident I'll be able to get something I like once I dive in and start tweaking things.

As for other sounds, the number and variety of presets is impressive. I really only gave them a quick run-through because that's not my focus with this board, but there are plenty of string, brass, pad, lead and polysynth sounds, all in gig-worthy quality. One thing I noticed in particular: if samples of obscure stringed instruments from around the world are your thing, this board definitely has you covered. I live in a house with a baglama, a balalaika, a shamisen and three bouzoukis, and there are still things included here that I've never heard of. Oh, and it's the only board I've owned whose sound effects bank is so thorough that it even includes crying baby samples, perfect for authentic "Isn't She Lovely" covers.

Finally, the built-in speakers are a serious asset. They're clear and powerful enough that I'll be happy using them on low-volume solo gigs, and I'm already counting the number of such gigs coming up that I now won't need to bring an amp to.

Bottom line: I am VERY happy with this board, and I can't imagine anyone who's looking for a compact, lightweight, 88-key AP-centric board not being happy with it as well. I happened to be looking for just such a board, and it's everything I hoped it would be. It will be joining me on three upcoming road tours, and some possible international trips as well.

Full disclosure: I have an artist relationship with Casio, and hence got a special deal on this board, so apply whatever grain of salt you feel that warrants. Just note that this was also the case with the PX5S, and while I considered it a perfectly functional and reliable workhorse of a board, I never praised it the way I'm praising this one.

Oh, and it's the only board I've owned whose sound effects bank is so thorough that it even includes crying baby samples, perfect for authentic "Isn't She Lovely" covers.
:roll:

because

As much as I love Stevie, I never sit through all of "Isn't She Lovely." Not only is the repetition tedious, but as a very deliberate non-parent, I find the "sounds of giving the kid a bath" part just repulsive.
:D

Josh, thanks for the great review, nicely expressed!

You've made my job harder! I am also in search of a new board, and while I was initially intrigued, when I figured that I could get a good used PX-360/560 for close to the same price as a S3000 new, it got the wheels churning. Both of those models are a pretty substantial step up in features, many of which I want. So I figured, well, as far as I can tell from reviews, I'd probably be almost as happy with the action and sound quality, it weighs around the same, and overall would be alot more bang for the buck.

But then i read reviews like yours, and I begin to get nagging doubts that I wouldn't be as satisfied with the 360/560. It pretty much comes with the territory of looking for a board, I'm swayed every which way from one day to the next, as I'm on that elusive quest for true love, an instrument that begs to be played, she can be hard to find with my budget and light weight and good speaker requirements.

That's why I need more folks that have used the previous generation keybed to weigh in- would the S3000 be a substantially qualitative upgrade in key feel? I'm not as worried about the sound quality, I have iPad apps as needed, and am generally not as fussy as most folks on this forum seem to be about piano sounds. But there's no substitute for a good keybed-

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Well, it's great to be back after some password, login issues involving no password reset emails being received.

Much thanks to Jim Quinn and the folks at Casio Digital Piano Group , Facebook.

First thoughts after my initial gig with the Casio PX S-3000.

*I love the elegant look and the ease of moving it around. The very small footprint will be a lifesaver in some venues.

*The action is a definite improvement over the PX 5S which I liked but not as much as some folks. It's very expressive at ppp fff and in between. How they managed to put this in a 24lb piano boggles the mind.

*The default Grand Piano Concert is very nice and sounds like a better version of the PX 5S default piano.

There is a brighter version of that which should be great for blues or rock in a louder band situation.

My favorite piano here is the Stage Piano and what sounds like a variation called Ambient Piano. They sound substantially different from any other piano sample found on this keyboard and the PX 5S. I like the sound untweaked but because Knob 1 is set to Filter you can dial the brightness up or down to taste.

This Piano and the 2 programmable knobs are not on the Casio PX S-1000. This alone is reason for me to justify the extra $200 I've spent for the S-3000.

I still have much to learn and internalize to be able to comfortably add any effect to any sound and use other features but my first impression after one gig is....

This will be a great replacement for my other rig:

Casio PX 5S playing iGrand on my iPad and the internal EP's etc.