Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can we talk about MIDI interfaces for a second?

Do way back in dinosaur days, I had two MOTU MIDI Timepiece IIs. They were phenomenally powerful interfaces both with and without a computer. I held on to them as long as humanly possible. I even installed a PCI-ADB adaptor so I could use it with Macs that had moved to USB. Because of changes in my gear, I dumbed down to several smaller USB MIDI interfaces.

Fast forward to now. I have some how acquired even more MIDI hardware than back in the pre-virtual instrument era, and my studio is a mish mash of various USB 2 and 4 port interfaces. I decided that my gear (and my OCD) deserved better, so I started looking for another wildly expensive and powerful multiport MIDI interface.

There are none. There's the MOTU 128 and the iConnection 10 x 10, but they are essentially those cheap USB interfaces ganged together in a chassis.

Is there any boutique company making a super powerful MIDI interface with a gazillion ports? Dave Bryce or Stephen Fortner, can you guys force on of your cronies to build one?

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Precisely why I hung onto my JL Cooper MSB+, I'm now up to three of them because there is no current product with similar capability. I use a MOTU as the USB link to my computer, with the MIDI I/O fanned out to each MSB+ and to my HDR using MMC.

I use a MOTU MIDI Express XT. You can still buy them brand new, or lots of used options on Ebay.

I don't know what you need beyond this, but it is 8 ports of 16ch MIDI that "just works". The Minimoog Model D is the only thing that ONLY has 5-pin MIDI. I don't use USB MIDI for everything else, but could.

But 8 hardware MIDI ports is reasonable isn't it?

I don't think anyone is going to make new ones of these. USB MIDI and Bluetooth MIDI are clearly the way forward.

I do have a full 12 port USB expander on my DAW... so it does just move the problem, but at least there are no appreciable bandwidth limitations on USB...

I still use my trusty old Digital Music Corp MX-8 MIDI Patchbay, from back in the late 80s. Of course there's no USB (it's only 5-pin DIN). 6-in, 8-out, and has a ton of MIDI filtering, merging, and data-manipulation options. I still use it in my studio, where the hookup to the PC is done with a simple 5-pin DIN to USB "Y" adapter.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Kept my eMagic Unitor-8. Its running on my studio Mac.

I havent tried it with most recent OSX.

Im assuming Apple is still supporting it with drivers as part of OS or Logic install?

Google gives me an Apple installer page last updated in 2010.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I'm happy with the MOTU MIDI Express XT.

I was curious about integrating a 2nd generation iPad pro with my sequencing rig so I picked up an iConnectivity iConnect MIDI4+. I would urge anyone to stay the hell away from that thing - I've been trying to get my Digital Performer rig to work with it for weeks and am about to give up - not once since I bought it have I been able to just sit down and play. Endless power cycling, crashes, direct connections that shouldn't be there etc. Their claims of seamlessly integrating the iPad's audio and MIDI with two other computers sound too good to be true and they are.

My stuff is mostly all older and has standard midi ports. I use an MSB+ and several other routers/mergers.

I don't know much about the usb midi stuff, but am wondering does it do in/out/thru - can you chain devices like you used to be able to?

I have a Roland A880 that I use with my live Rig (I'm fighting for NOT having to bring a computer on stage and to stay with just an Iapd....). I still have a second one in France in a garage that I will have in Canada in the future and they work like a charm. I program the setting, like in 5 to control out 1,4 and 6 and I recall them with program change with Setlist maker....

And no need to take the risk of a c outer that could crash.....In the studio I also have the Motu Midi Express and the M-Audio 4X4, some of my gear are already class compliant with USB so, everything is connected to midi and I've never had an issue....

Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

Kept my eMagic Unitor-8. Its running on my studio Mac.

I havent tried it with most recent OSX.

Im assuming Apple is still supporting it with drivers as part of OS or Logic install?

Google gives me an Apple installer page last updated in 2010.

Well, it´s nice all come up w/ a list what they have/use ...

Here´s mine:

Emagic MT-4 (x2)

MusicQuest/Opcode 8PortSE (x2)

Opcode Studio 64x

MOTU MidiTimepiece II

Steinberg Midex-8

Sycologic M16/M16R (x2)

Sycologic M16x

Casio TB-1 (x2)

Anatek Studio Merge 19" rackmount (x2)

Midisolutions merge box (x2)

... some Thru-boxes ...

Miditemp PMM-88E

all working ...

:crazy:

But that´s not what the OP wanted.

The Alyseum 8x8 interface I mentioned above is a modern USB3 solution, also usable via network and w/ CopperLan if wanted.

All the other gear using USB doesn´t need any interface at all since it´s connectable to any computer/ hub, class compliant or not.

A.C.

I use a Physis K4 and an XITE-1 that can re route any hardware assignments by prgm chng messages triggering snapshots.

Dont need no stinking MIDI Interfaces even though I have several.

One not mentioned here is is the WiFi Bome Box that uses MIDI Translator Pro software projects.

USB, MIDI and WiFi makes that an incredible hardware/software unit.

Ive made tons of money thanks to MIDI.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I have a MOTU Microlite (5x5) which seems to work very well, but I have to admit it sits in a closet because my one MIDI controller without USB connectivity (GEM S3) gets plugged directly into my VAX77. I also have a MIDI port in the Focusrite Clarett 8Pre audio interface.