Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Funky Keys in Cold Sweat

Probably, Id double or (likely with me since I dont use real horns) replace horns with synth horns if I was doing a JB song. I remember hearing a song by him from the late 80s that had NO horns at all and just guitar, synth, and drum machines.

Will try to make a cover of this. Even if it has no horns or other real instruments.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guitarist in the dance band is incredibly busy - tends to leave no space unplayed.

To state the obvious, this is a problem.

This tune - and all of JB, really - is about SPACE. If there is none, trying to play in no space just makes things worse and creates mud.
+3 on this concept. Knowing when to play, and when not to play, can make the difference.

And to the OP - if possible, carve out some time with the guitarist, see if there's a way you guys can work together, try some way to convince him to be un-busy for a second or two, and where you can get the keys and guitar working together to make the song feel better, and funkier. Cold Sweat might not be the best song for this experiment.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I keep seeing the thread title and thinking Josh Paxton is stressing about a gig, or had a bad dream.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI